Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HEY KEYSTONE! > What I'd like to say if...
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2019, 04:32 PM   #21
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
After reading all the quality issues people are having with the newer units I feel blessed that we had so few problems and that they were all corrected quickly.

If you feel like reading my list, it is pasted below.

Trailer Repair Items
First Warranty Repair
Outside
Front work/hitch light – bad switch.
Rattle in rear A/C- heard on roof side.
Powder coating on pin box is not preventing rust.
Left landing gear extension does not retract fully because retaining pin is incorrect type. See right side.
Entry steps extremely difficult to open/close
Bedroom slide seems to seal at bottom before top is tight\

Inside
Door switch for ceiling lights binds when closing door.
Threshold at entrance door has space under it.
Video drawer behind LR TV not mounted level so it does not latch properly and opens during travel
Curtain on left side of desk – lower anchor point hardware not installed well.
Marks on carpet from rollers under large slide out.
All drawer slides – screw heads rub on slide mechanism
Pocket door alignment and guide –binds when fully closed. Guide not tight.
BR closet trim strip – not nailed to anything substantial
Shower leak.
Rusting screws at bottom of shower door frame.
Felt wipers on LR and BR emergency windows do not seal to keep out bugs. Felt wiper too short.
Bathroom sink faucet underplate extends beyond faucet on right front.
Toilet room door latch rubs on striker plate.
Bedroom TV locks up and cannot be controlled with the remote or the buttons on the front of the TV. Only solution is to unplug power and start over.

Second Warranty Repair
Bedroom
Closet trim strip came loose again
TV does not respond reliably to remote or front panel buttons.
Slide wobbles when coming in.
Kitchen
“Corian” logo on countertop is rusting.
Refrigerator latch is tight and is wearing prematurely.
Living Room
Entertainment center slide – bottom of left side fascia coming loose.
15K air conditioner - Strong vibration after 3-4 hours of use to cool down from 90 degrees to 70 degrees. Vibration ends abruptly when both fan and compressor stop. This occurs before reaching the set temperature. Then, about 20 seconds later the fan starts again and after another 20 seconds or so, the compressor restarts and the vibration is gone. This contrasts with normal operation of the A/C which has the fan starting first followed by the compressor in about 20 seconds. On shutdown, normal operation has the compressor stopping first and then after about 20 seconds the fan stops.
Exterior
Wear on outside edge of right front tire.

Old 02-27-2019, 04:39 PM   #22
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Quote:
Originally Posted by laverdur View Post
After reading all the quality issues people are having with the newer units I feel blessed that we had so few problems and that they were all corrected quickly.

If you feel like reading my list, it is pasted below.

Trailer Repair Items
First Warranty Repair
Outside
Front work/hitch light – bad switch.
Rattle in rear A/C- heard on roof side.
Powder coating on pin box is not preventing rust.
Left landing gear extension does not retract fully because retaining pin is incorrect type. See right side.
Entry steps extremely difficult to open/close
Bedroom slide seems to seal at bottom before top is tight\

Inside
Door switch for ceiling lights binds when closing door.
Threshold at entrance door has space under it.
Video drawer behind LR TV not mounted level so it does not latch properly and opens during travel
Curtain on left side of desk – lower anchor point hardware not installed well.
Marks on carpet from rollers under large slide out.
All drawer slides – screw heads rub on slide mechanism
Pocket door alignment and guide –binds when fully closed. Guide not tight.
BR closet trim strip – not nailed to anything substantial
Shower leak.
Rusting screws at bottom of shower door frame.
Felt wipers on LR and BR emergency windows do not seal to keep out bugs. Felt wiper too short.
Bathroom sink faucet underplate extends beyond faucet on right front.
Toilet room door latch rubs on striker plate.
Bedroom TV locks up and cannot be controlled with the remote or the buttons on the front of the TV. Only solution is to unplug power and start over.

Second Warranty Repair
Bedroom
Closet trim strip came loose again
TV does not respond reliably to remote or front panel buttons.
Slide wobbles when coming in.
Kitchen
“Corian” logo on countertop is rusting.
Refrigerator latch is tight and is wearing prematurely.
Living Room
Entertainment center slide – bottom of left side fascia coming loose.
15K air conditioner - Strong vibration after 3-4 hours of use to cool down from 90 degrees to 70 degrees. Vibration ends abruptly when both fan and compressor stop. This occurs before reaching the set temperature. Then, about 20 seconds later the fan starts again and after another 20 seconds or so, the compressor restarts and the vibration is gone. This contrasts with normal operation of the A/C which has the fan starting first followed by the compressor in about 20 seconds. On shutdown, normal operation has the compressor stopping first and then after about 20 seconds the fan stops.
Exterior
Wear on outside edge of right front tire.
Sounds like my dog, Lucky. He has three legs, one eye, and half a tail and no teeth.
Old 02-27-2019, 04:47 PM   #23
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
Too funny Montana Man.
Old 02-27-2019, 04:50 PM   #24
gordo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21136
Hell Yeah...My 2004 was built much better than my 2018
gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 10:01 PM   #25
jmill8
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13434
Send a message via MSN to jmill8
Have a 2003 3295RK. Only problem to date was leak from AC inside unit. Discovered an attachment bolt missing. I live in western Washington, never had need of AC till camped in eastern Washington couple years ago.
jmill8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 08:52 AM   #26
Sunsk3r

M.O.C. #23533
Montana quilty

I have a 2017 Montana 3790rd and I've had good luck with it we live in it 6 months a year and probably become fulltimers in another year. And only had a few problems the biggest was the black tank cable on the dump valve and replaced it myself . did have a few pieces of trim that was crappie but I've had good luck with the fifthwheels that I have had that I have ordered had 1993 Fleetwood prowler and 2013 cardinal and learned that when i find problems to fix the myself I learned that from my cardinal dealer sent the rig for repair they had it for 3 weeks and when I got it back I ended up fixing all the problems that they were saposley fixed
Sunsk3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 12:19 PM   #27
LovinLife

M.O.C. #11834
GAinaMontana ~ my husband is a manager of Quality Control for a very large World Wide Construction Corp. and this just drives us (mostly him) crazy. As you said, they wouldn't have a job if they allow this kind of work leaving the factory. The dealer is being helpful but...that being said, some of the repairs are in question as we move forward. Love the unit just not all these problems.
LovinLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 03:13 PM   #28
jpwhite
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23248
We have never used our new rig. Ideally our first trip would be to a local KOA for a shake down. But .. instead we will load it up and take off for a few weeks far away from home base. Here's hoping that everything (at least everything major) works well.
jpwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 03:45 PM   #29
wecker1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20840
In our 2017 3791RD it's stated in both the freezer, and under the island sink, that the ice maker water line shut-off valve is located under the sink, NOT! The water shut-off valve is located at floor level in the pantry to the right of the fridge. Fortunately I found it on our maiden voyage as it was leaking which mitigated any water damage.
wecker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 06:51 PM   #30
Mr Pachu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17922
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
Good luck with your SOB.

I have owned 6 5th wheel trailers and the biggest POS was the only and last Montana I will ever own. It was a 2015 3790RD which I traded for a leftover 2016 SOB in August of 2017. This 2016 has been a great trailer to own as the only warranty issue was the two brackets holding the roller shade in place above the dinette broke. Dealer replaced the two brackets with three brackets (covered by warranty) and all has been good since.
Mr Pachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 06:12 AM   #31
mootana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15746
PM Message

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinLife View Post
Having purchase our 3rd Montana a 2019 unit 3701LK in Sept 2018 but not living in it until November we are very disappointed with the quality of this unit. We have over 20 issues that are being addressed and not small items either. I think that KEYSTONE needs to clean house on their builders and/or quality control departments. Some of our items to name a few are, water in the bulk head that has caused the insulation to be soaked and dripping water by the 5th wheel unit, dining area slide where the floor wasn't even attached to the rear wall leaving a gap when daylight and cold air could enter the unit, fireplace that won't thrown any hot air, stove top that doesn't work, table that is leaning approx. 3 inches inward, rips in the theater seating from the seating not being strapped in transit, the list goes on and on. All items are being covered but...should we have to go through this aggravation plus we will have to give up out "home" for God knows how long to have all of these repairs done. We are full time so who pays for a hotel for us during these repairs ? No more Keystone rv's for us.
Dear LovinLife
I've sent you a PM (private message). I might be able to help.
Old 03-01-2019, 03:28 PM   #32
jmb98
Established Member

M.O.C. #22945
Our 2017 3921FB Legacy visited the dealership (1.5 hrs one-way from us) four times in our first five months of ownership (purchased in Jan ‘18) before we left AZ in May for the summer. I also had a 2-page list of problems that had been requested by Keystone because I was on the phone with them enough. “So sorry you don’t like your unit...” I love my unit, but would really like you to have built some quality into it! The only big problem we had with the trailer on the road before we returned this fall was that damned half-bath pivot door. The last time it came down, it took the moulding with it! Back to the dealership when we returned to AZ in Oct, back in for repairs & more in Dec before warranty expired in early Jan. Now I’m fixing small things, like peeling wallpaper, loose trim, falling curtains — and trying to talk hubby into a little maintenance before we hit the road again in May. Likely our first & last Keystone, simply for the lack of quality & the lack of anyone taking responsibility for their product.
jmb98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 05:04 PM   #33
Normal Norm
Established Member

M.O.C. #23516
Man, that's lame, I just bought a 3931Fb Montana 2019, I am so frustrated, like you I have it in service department at Biloxi. The furnace blows the 15amp fuse, they couldn't fix it and gave it back to me. The driver side skirt ripped off on the way to Atlanta and there were about 15 other issues. I AGREE the QC needs to be flogged, actually I don't think there is a QC ???
Normal Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 05:14 PM   #34
Normal Norm
Established Member

M.O.C. #23516
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAinaMontana View Post
I've been helping my son with his SOB supposedly top of the line 5er. Even the warrenty work on his unit is terrible quality. Most of what I have done is repairing what has been "repaired previously". I come from a manufacturing background in both purchasing and QC and would have fired any tech or inspector who would have let this **** out the door. Keystone is not the only manufacturer letting their quality go to ****.
This is what im going through with my 2019 Montana, attached picture
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Furnace Issue.png
Views:	50
Size:	948.6 KB
ID:	3234  
Old 03-01-2019, 05:16 PM   #35
Normal Norm
Established Member

M.O.C. #23516
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmb98 View Post
Our 2017 3921FB Legacy visited the dealership (1.5 hrs one-way from us) four times in our first five months of ownership (purchased in Jan ‘18) before we left AZ in May for the summer. I also had a 2-page list of problems that had been requested by Keystone because I was on the phone with them enough. “So sorry you don’t like your unit...” I love my unit, but would really like you to have built some quality into it! The only big problem we had with the trailer on the road before we returned this fall was that damned half-bath pivot door. The last time it came down, it took the moulding with it! Back to the dealership when we returned to AZ in Oct, back in for repairs & more in Dec before warranty expired in early Jan. Now I’m fixing small things, like peeling wallpaper, loose trim, falling curtains — and trying to talk hubby into a little maintenance before we hit the road again in May. Likely our first & last Keystone, simply for the lack of quality & the lack of anyone taking responsibility for their product.
Mydriver side skirt came off on our first trip, picture included
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	capture2.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	3235  
Old 03-01-2019, 06:52 PM   #36
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have had Montana's since 2006.We now have our second and last a 2013 3402 Big Sky.The list of issues match any list here on both units.. We had four rv's previous to the 06 3400. We sold Rv's at a large RV show for a few years.We are not surprised by the issue we have experienced. You will see pretty much the same on any manufacturers site you visit.

We have not had a problem with Keystone customer service or Keystone on warranty repairs. We have a extended warranty on this RV and the previsions Montana. We have used it several times on both units with not a problem.

We are high end users although not full timers we spend many months of the year living in the Montana and travel many miles a year.

If you have toured the plant in Goshen you will have observed the "quality Control" and the issues reported here speak to the "quality" of the Quality Control.

We are approaching the end of our RV journey and we will not be purchasing another RV of any brand.

We feel the Montana was as good or better as any brand in the price range.We have always been treated fairly and with respect by the service center and Montana management. That is not to say we always got our own way.

The Montana's have been our magic carpet on our great RV adventure that has covered thus far 12 years and over 130,000 miles.The adventure has not been perfect but we have no complaints or regrets.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 05:45 AM   #37
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
They handle Keystone, now if Montana dealers would follow suit.

https://www.rvbusiness.com/blog/texa...AtleO8wsi8otFg
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 08:50 AM   #38
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
Wow! The manufacturers must love this....someone to do their work for free!!
Sad that it's come to this. How is he going to absorb the cost? Someone needs to slap these manufactors in the face and wake them up to their responsibilities. I'd be embarrassed to run a company with such shoddy quality control!
Old 03-02-2019, 09:31 AM   #39
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Dealers are already doing the work This just makes it centrally located and close to the source of the parts.

Not to mention the sales bullet at the dealership
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 09:40 AM   #40
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Nice find jeffba. They should also post a spreadsheet for the results of their inspections and assign a rating system.