Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HEY KEYSTONE! > What I'd like to say if...
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2006, 10:40 AM   #21
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

Actually I doubt Dometic provides the wood panels at all, (even though they do offer a generic wood door). The panels most likely come from the cabinet manufacturer made to fit the door, unless Keystone is actually building thier own cabinets.

In our stick house the cabinet manufacturer had templates for the refrigerator as well as the dishwasher based on model numbers, with most panels carried in stock.
I think you're right. That's why our replacement refrigerator only had the black panel.

Orv

ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 11:09 AM   #22
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
I'm like Stiles, my Big Sky is going to suit me fine for a few more years yet.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 01:40 PM   #23
Tom Gina 06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5993
Wow now is this a hot topic or what! Well I am going to save my opinion until I see it for myself. Stuff happens and seems that Keystone has too much on their plate with all planned then unplanned changes this year.

Once again you have the "planning and management" committee making changes, before the research of the "feasability of the parts" committee was complete, then the "bean counter" committee changing it all in the end. Now from the sounds of everyone here. I have once again made a mistake just like the one I made in the late 70's when I bought a conversion van. I sure hope this is not true cuz we looked at another rig that really could have made us invest another 10-20 grand and a new 1 ton truck. Except we already ordered the 3400 and we pick it up Thursday. See, I believe that for the dollar the Montana is still the best deal out there.

Fridge doors will come and go, with a little thought maybe I can come up with a better solution. Maybe a fridge door panel that you can use magnets on and put all the grand kids pics up just like your stick home used to have. Oops should have waited for that idea before I got a patent on it.

Every business has the right to make a buck and coorperate decisions are based on cost and bean counters. Now that the cycle of the good old oil barons is coming full circle to hit us in the a**, this stuff is going to happen IMHO. What can we do about it? not much. Just the evolution of the good old American economy. Yes! We can all fry Keystone maybe put them out of business after all everything is cyclical right?

Sorry don't mean to offend anyone..... just a few thoughts, as we TRY to get excited to see our new rig Thursday morning.

Remember the........
Tom Gina 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 02:52 PM   #24
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Re the pictures. You can see very little of the wood on our fridge doors. It's covered with pictures of the grandkids, as you suggested.

I appear to be in the minority. I think I'd like the black doors. As someone else said, it would match the MW and the oven, just like in our stick home. Besides, with the richer wood in the rest of the coach the oak on the fridge would not look good at all. I'm not sure I care for the lighter counter top, however.

Some may remember my rant about getting a new Montana with "black" hardware. Well, it's grown on me and now I'm glad we have the "Venetian Bronze" hardware.

I don't care for the linoleum in the new ones and am glad we got the lighter flooring. I would like to have the new carpet that would hide spots much better than our solid color carpet.

Someone mentioned the double dip on the counter edges. Ours has that and I don't find it a problem at all. In fact, it looks rather nice.

Ours has the new faucet with the pullout head and pushbutton spray all in one unit. I really like that.

I guess we all have different preferences and beauty remains in the eye of the beholder. And, as noted, Montana remains the best bang for the buck on the RV market, in my opinion.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 03:00 PM   #25
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
The who/where/why/how of refrig doors can be solved by: FOLLOWING THE MONEY!
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 12:20 PM   #26
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
For those that have been in the new model with the changes: Does this make it darker in the Monty? I thought the lighter carpet was always installed in RV's because it gives you the sense that it is a larger area, just like adding a mirror to a room.

We have a very dark house as it is all wood. Our refrigerator went out so we took a black one from our other house. It does make things darker and yep those finger prints really show up.

I am glad we have the model that we have. Well, maybe would like that new faucet and the drawers under the frig and stove. I am working on hubby to turn the space under the frig into a storage space.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 02:13 PM   #27
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The drawer under the fridge was easy.I know that because I was able to do it.Couple of self closing hinges and a screw driver. Drawer under the stove is beyond my expertise but I have someone who can do that.Will get a new faucet when this one wears out or breaks. At least I had no surprises when the 3400 came in...We got what we ordered.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 02:35 PM   #28
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Colleen,
In my opinion, I do not think the new wall color or wood makes the coach "look darker". I actually like the darker wood, thought it adds a touch of class to the Montana. I have been looking at the KZ Escalade, Elite Suite by Double Tree, and the Excel Limited and all 3 offer Cherry Wood. Each of them had different appliance covers, 1 had wood panel on fridge, 1 had black panel on fridge, and 1 had stainless steel. No matter which panel was in the coach, the cherry wood was really nice. Still had an open feeling to them.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 04:46 PM   #29
markwick
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2204
I just ordered a new 3075 last week after selling my 2005 2955RL. It should be here in about 8-10 weeks . I am just seeing all this on the site re the new fridge door being black. I am really upset as I believe it makes it look cheaper. Also I understand the bathroom door is now just a cheap flat door whereas in my 2955 which I just sold the door looked really nice with the 6 panels (They are fake panels but still look much nicer.) The 2007 on-line brochure still shows the oak door option for the fridge - Keystone needs to keep it's site updated so we know what we are getting. I will still keep the order. I will put my own moldings on the bathroom door.
Hopefully, Keystone will hear all this and change everything back before mine is built and delivered.
markwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 07:15 PM   #30
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
markwick,
Congrats on your order of a new 3075RL. I hope it provides many years of enjoyment to come...
Old 10-25-2006, 07:48 PM   #31
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
My first motorhome had a padded vinyl fridge door in mauve! Seemed OK to me at the time (yuuuk-what was I thinking).

The door has had an affect at the dealer level - I was shopping last weekend and the Dealer said she has got a lot of comments on the black doors and quite often they have pulled panels off of other Monty's in stock and installed them on the sold unit to complete the sale. She said if it persists after the new color starts arriving, they will have them made locally.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 03:23 AM   #32
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Montana Sky
Colleen,
In my opinion, I do not think the new wall color or wood makes the coach "look darker". I actually like the darker wood, thought it adds a touch of class to the Montana. I have been looking at the KZ Escalade, Elite Suite by Double Tree, and the Excel Limited and all 3 offer Cherry Wood. Each of them had different appliance covers, 1 had wood panel on fridge, 1 had black panel on fridge, and 1 had stainless steel. No matter which panel was in the coach, the cherry wood was really nice. Still had an open feeling to them.
We all have our likes and dislikes that is why there are so many different makes and models out there. We looked at Alpenlite and a Presidential that had similar floors plans to the 3400. They had the cherry wood in them making it seem darker to me. We came back to the Montana because we liked the lighter wood. It is hard to tell from the pictures how much darker the wood is. I haven't seen a picture of the carpet so no comment.

I would be upset if I had walked into a Montana on the lot and then went into the dealership and put in my custom order, only to have it arrive with the changes. Something about that word "Custom" order makes me think it will be what I ordered.

For the folks that have one on order, I hope you get your "Custom" order.
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 10:25 AM   #33
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I would say the new wood is half way between the light oak and the dark cherry wood. Not as dark as a cherry wood, but darker than the oak. =) I felt the inside of the Montana was due for a change, and the new wood is sure a nice change in my eyes.
Old 10-27-2006, 05:03 AM   #34
CampingCrazyShirley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6271
I'll post here as well about the new changes. Ours just came in on Wednesday and I went to get a preview yesterday afternoon. We ordered the 3500RL. It seems as thought the largest complaint is about the fridge...me included. However, upon seeing the fridge, I am inclined to agree with some others that it does break up the wood somewhat and matches the other applicances and so therefore, it looks fine. Yes, it will show fingerprints and dirt easier. But, all in all, it does look good. The next concerns seem to be the darker cabinets. I am one who prefers a little darker wood anyway, so the change was a benefit to me. Don't freak out, as the wood is not DARK and doesn't make the camper feel closed in and dark. I would have to say the wood have a slight cherry feel to it now vs the light oak. Again, it is not a dark cherry. The lighter countertop is very nice, and looks good with the changes in carpet and wood. The darker hardware looks fabulous. Gives it a richer look with the cabinets. Carpet is great. Looks much nicer with the fabric and walls. The changes are very very nice. I was pleased with the changes and frankly, happy about the carpet, countertops and cabinets. The vinyl floor is darker than before, however, with the change in carpet, it looks fine. It may not suit some people, but it does go with the other changes quite well. I found it appealing. If I can figure a way to post pictures of the inside I will when we go back. Otherwise, I know I can email pictures to those who would be interested.
CampingCrazyShirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 07:02 AM   #35
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
Cheryl, I'm really glad that you're okay with how yours is. I would love to see pictures.
Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 11:11 AM   #36
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Cheryl, yor're opinion echo's mine on the changes made. I think it is a very refreshing change. I am glad that you agree since you have the new model. We are all excited for you so do the PDI and GET-UR-Done.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 08:19 PM   #37
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Craig and Cheryl,
Great summary!! Glad to hear someone else feels the same way I do about the changes. I hope you enjoy your coach for many years to come. =)
Old 10-28-2006, 12:12 PM   #38
worknomore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2216
Having been on the factory tour also at the rally, we're inclined to agree with the majority here - the new changes suck. We didn't like the fridge door (first thing we noticed when entering the 3485RL was finger prints all over it), the counter top was too light (maybe to offset the darker stain, which we also didn't like), the dark hardware, ESPECIALLY the shower door trim (looks CHEAP & WILL show scratches more than the antique brass finish). Also, as a cabinet maker, the new cabinet door design looks ugly to me. The 'waterfall' door edge does NOT go with the new Roman (arched) raised panel, which replaced the cathedral pattern which is much more elegant. Also, although I didn't have a tape measure with me, I think the doors are now thinner - 5/8" or 3/4" vs. 13/16" in previous models (I've made several for our rig, hence I know the thickness).

When we mentioned the UGLY fridge front, Aram stated that it was due to a problem with their previous panel supplier. I think it is just cheaper to put that black plastic on rather than wood. To us, it doesn't 'match' anything & just adds to the overall darker interior.

Also, as for the 3485RL - nice try but no cigar (we are also disappointed that it replaced the 3475RL, which we WERE going to order, but not now). No step well, no laundry chute, narrow stairway, no coat closet, pantry doors won't open 90+ degrees (so forget about putting in sliding drawers), still has the crummy Apollo.

Again, personal opinion, but this thread does show that there is a lack of customer input when design time comes around. Leave well enough alone (you've already got a winner!). FIXING the ongoing problems most of us have would please most people, in addition to adding more options and/or better quality items already being installed.
worknomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 12:41 PM   #39
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I don't get it.. That we like or do not like the changes is not the point ..at..all. The issue is...We order a camper, most of us spend a great deal of time ordering exactly what we want, Color of Carpet, cabinet styles, wood color, interior color. etc. Then...the manufacturer makes changes in what we ordered and does not have the courtesy to inform the buyer of the changes or the opportunity to accept or reject the changes. That I order something and changes in my order are made without my knowledge or approval and I am not allowed the choice of accepting or canceling the order..is...just..not..right....\\worknomore is right..this post should be in the "General Discussion" forum under the thread "Changes in the Montana" These are very similar threads..I don't know how to move it over there??
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 04:55 PM   #40
worknomore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2216
Liking or not liking the changes IS the point of this thread, Rich. Glenn got the ball rolling by adamantly stating that the fridge door looks like crap, & others chimed in with comments related to other changes being made.

Not getting what you originally ordered is just as important (& rightly so), but is the subject of another thread. Whatever the complaint though, Keystone should be listening with both ears wide open...
worknomore is offline   Reply With Quote