Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2009, 09:34 AM   #1
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
slip plate

Those with experience using slip plate on the superglide I have a question.

Do the rails stay black or do they show 'silver' after towing? I wonder if I didn't clean mine thouroughly when I went to slip plate. Wear does not seem to be a problem.

I did have some galling when I just used lubriplate grease.

illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:41 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
The wear points will show silver where as the rest will remain black. This does not mean the Slip Plate has worn off.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 02:24 PM   #3
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
thanks Glenn, I was wondering if I was hurting anything.

Love that Slip Plate!
Old 05-07-2009, 03:05 PM   #4
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
keep using the slip plate ,,,sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 06:24 PM   #5
WorkerB
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8202
Illapah,
I just ordered slip plate yesterday and was wondering how I would know when to re-apply lubrication. Thanks for asking that question.
John
WorkerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 04:33 AM   #6
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
John,

We have never put any lubrication on the slip plate. Maybe, we're not doing it right, but we were told by the dealer that all you needed was the plastic teflon plate. There is no evident wear.

On the other hand, Oldguard says that if you apply WD-40 on the slip plate that it reduces the chucking while driving.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 08:08 AM   #7
WorkerB
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8202
Robbie,
We are talking about using a product called SlipPlate. Pulllrite the manufacturer of the SuperGlide hitch is recommending a dry graphite lubricant instead of grease to be used on the way tubes of the SuperGlide Hitch. PullRite's choice of that dry graphite lubricant is SlipPlate.
I'm racing to be ready for Siskiyou. I am having cataract surgery on Monday and not supposed to do a lot of lifting and such for about a week after that. That means I gotta be ready to go this Sunday night. Looking forward to seeing you and Alice (Without glasses) at Siskiyou.
John
WorkerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 04:44 PM   #8
Rescue 1
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6113
I just cleaned my hitch again tonight. I used Mac's Dry Graphite from NAPA to lube the way tubes. It's also a dry graphite film lubricant. I've used it before and was concerned with the silver look after a short time. So I went back to grease. I'll give it another shot, we'll see what happens.

http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPage...Graphite+Based
Rescue 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 01:52 PM   #9
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
I have been using slip plate for the last two years and am very pleaed with it.

I spray the hitch before I leave on a trip and then if I start to see silver showing I spray again.

Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 10:08 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Mine started life with slip plate and I became concerned about the silver. So, I took off the slip plate and went to the messy white lithium grease. I've since been told by several including Pullrite that the silver is fine, just make sure it's lubed and not bare metal. I am seriously thinking of stripping off the grease and going to slip plate again.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 02:29 PM   #11
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
I agree SLIP PLATE is great! I spray it on all moving parts of the hitch and my hitch is over 10 years old and still has no signs of wear.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 09:46 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Robbie, the slipplate product is a spray lubricant used on the rails the superglide hitch slides back and forth on. As for the teflon disk, that is not needed for the superglide. The pinbox does not rotate on the saddle of the superglide. The saddle turns in concert with the pinbox, causing the saddle unit to move back and forth on the rails, creating more space between fw and truck cab.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:42 AM   #13
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Robbie, the slipplate product is a spray lubricant used on the rails the superglide hitch slides back and forth on. As for the teflon disk, that is not needed for the superglide. The pinbox does not rotate on the saddle of the superglide. The saddle turns in concert with the pinbox, causing the saddle unit to move back and forth on the rails, creating more space between fw and truck cab.
Steve,
Thanks for clarifying the difference in the products. I had a first-hand demonstration the other day here at the Siskiyou rally of both the superglide hitch and the slipplate. Slipplate looks like a great product, saw that the seller is pretty proud of it with a price tag of $13.99 for the spray can.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 02:10 PM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I haven't found it much cheaper but am still looking. I'll check our dealer when I get back to Independence. I emailed Pullrite and today received instructions (pdf document) on how to remove all the white lithium grease and switch to slipplate. Mine came with slipplate installed but I switched to the grease. I'm wishing now I'd not done that.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:06 PM   #15
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
steve, went to the Pullrite website and read the blurb on lubing with Slip Plate and how the removal of old grease is accomplished on the attached sheet. I cant find the attached sheet, do you have the procedure to share?
Old 05-28-2009, 03:00 PM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I found and bought Slip Plate today for 8.18 per can at Grainger. See other thread for details.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:58 AM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Illapah, I just posted this in the other thread. The url is for the instructions. I think that's what you want.

Today I disassembled the hitch, stripped all the grease and applied slip plate. It took me about three hours.

Pullrite sent me instructions to do this. I see those instructions are available on their site. This is the url for the pdf file http://www.pullrite.com/pdfs/Slip%20Plate.pdf .

I found brake parts cleaner works much faster and easier to remove the old grease (or slip plate) than does wd-40. It took two full cans of brake parts cleaner. And I used just over a full can of slip plate for the initial application. The instructions say to put on two full coats on all four sides of the way tubes and on the parts of the cam arm assembly that come in contact with the way tubes. You have to strip the grease off the cam arm assembly, also.

If that link doesn't work, email me and I'll send you a copy of mine.
Old 05-30-2009, 01:37 PM   #18
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
Thanks. that was the site I needed. got it copied and stored away on the cpu.