Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2003, 01:35 PM   #1
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Bringing home the Montana from the dealer

I think most people end up buying their Montana from a dealer who is a couple hours from home. Here is our story of "bringing home the Montana":

We had a dilemma when we bought our Montana.

We had bought it off the lot from a dealer in Reno, Nevada about 2-1/2 hours away thru the mountains. There were a few things they wanted to do to it plus the loan had to finalize, so we had to wait a week to pick it up. That coincided with my husband’s long-awaited BIG fishing trip to Alaska. The dealer wasn’t real happy when we asked if we could keep it there until Doug returned from Alaska.

I then opened my big mouth and offered to go to Reno and tow it home myself! I had towed a 12-foot box tent trailer and a 24-foot travel trailer before, but never by myself. Well dang if the hubby didn’t take me up on my offer.

So the next week while he was off in Alaska slaying salmon, I drove our truck up through the mountains to Reno. Our teenaged daughter Kelly went with me as did my good friend Maureen.

When we arrived at the dealership, I went inside to complete paperwork while Kelly and Maureen went in search of the Montana. After completing paperwork, I went outside and found the two standing at the Montana, shaking their heads and exclaiming how big it was. As I stood behind them, Maureen asked Kelly if they should take a taxi home instead of riding with me.

Kelly and Maureen went in search of water to swallow their Tylenol and I hitched up to the Montana. The dealership gave me a 5 minute out-on-the-road driving test and then let me leave with it.

I drove over only one corner during a right hand turn in Reno before we made it to the freeway. After that it was smooth sailing all the way home. I think in part that was because Kelly and Maureen decided napping on the way home would be less stressful for them, and it certainly was for me.

I found the Montana very easy to tow and at times would almost forget it was back there.

Since that day, I have become fairly adept in being able to back it into campsites, setting it up and figuring out any problems. Now during the summer months when I have reduced hours at work, I take the Montana over to the coast and get it all set up in a campsite. I get to have a few days by myself and then Doug comes over on Friday nights for the weekend.

I remember how excited I was when we bought our Montana and how I couldn’t wait for it to come home. But the most exciting part for me....was getting it home in one piece!

"On the Road Again.."
"Just Can't Wait to Get on the Road Again..."
2000 Dodge Ram SB 2500 4x4 Quad Turbo Cummings
2002 Montana 3295RK
2001 Onan 3600 (propane)

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote