Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2009, 05:29 PM   #1
FLSTS03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8231
P3 CONTROLLER MOUNTING

Ok,

Now that we have our new P3 controller I need some ideas on where to install it on our Dodge. I'm short so our 07 Ram dosen't leave me with a lot of options. Right side vs left and so on...Thanks Steve

FLSTS03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:48 PM   #2
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Congratulations on your new P-3.
I just bought one after reading your other thread. It took me about 10-15 minutes to install on the Ford by just removing the Voyager and putting the P-3 in the existing bracket, clipping the existing wires and using butt connectors provided to attach to existing wires. Anxious to try it out tomorrow when I bring our Monty home from CW getting a new gray water tank.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 04:17 AM   #3
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We are still using the Prodigy, I just switched out yesterday to the Prodigy. I think it was a Primus that was in the Freightliner. And it was just plug and play. I have thought of going to the P-3 but each time I think about what Steve R. says that the P-3 just has a few more bells and whistles. Our Prodigy still works well and its been in 4 different Trucks. Don't really know about the Dodge Trucks but on all my Trucks I mounted it under the dash in front of my right Knee and it worked for me. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 04:22 AM   #4
FLSTS03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8231
Grampachet, Going to install this weekend. I was toying around with placing the unit on the left as my old unit was lower right and gave me a lot of trouble if i needed to use the manual lever, again short arms. I will probaly leave the old unit where it is as a spare. Let you know how it goes....Steve
Old 07-31-2009, 05:03 AM   #5
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Mine is on the right. I am right handed and it is most comfortable for me in that location. I may have to move it up as it is low enough that I cannot easily read the readout. The voyager had no readout so it was no problem where it was located.
Good luck.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:10 AM   #6
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Steve I mounted mine on the left side and it has one problem when you exit the truck your right knee will bump the P-3 you just have to remember when you exit to slide the seat back a few inches. the right side seems to be the place of choice for most though.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:26 AM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Sorry to pipe in, but whichever side you mount it on, isn't there also an angle in which it has to be installed? For example, it can't be mounted vertically or at any side angle. It's been about five years since I installed one and I no longer have it, but I seem to recall there was something like that.

Cheers,
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 10:38 AM   #8
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
The p-3 can be mounted vertically, just make sure "#1. The front must be horizontal. #2 The P-3 must be parallel to direction of travel." Steve, if you follow the directions supplied you will have no problems.

Art - "The P-3 will automatically acquire the proper level setting. It will also automatically adjust as you travel up or down hills." To quote the install manual.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:31 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Steve, we also have an '07 Ram. Mine is mounted on the right side and is within easy reach should I need to pull the manual lever. This is not a very good picture but it might give you an idea where it is mounted.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 06:27 AM   #10
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
And here it is on the left side Steve

On edit per another. from right to left
Old 08-01-2009, 06:58 AM   #11
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Trailer trash, if you are giving folks directions do they get lost often? It looks to me like that is the left side:>)
Old 08-01-2009, 08:50 AM   #12
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by grampachet

Trailer trash, if you are giving folks directions do they get lost often? It looks to me like that is the left side:>)
Yep, my first post I said left side, this must have been a typo error, or a brain fart. one of the two but the picture says it right, thats why I posted the picture with my comment, as for directions you dont want me leading any excursions with out a GPS or simular devices.
Now I will direct myself to my post and do an EDIT, thanks for pointing out the error. I'll try harder with my two finger hunt n peck next time.
TT2
Old 08-01-2009, 11:03 AM   #13
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Don, I was only kiddin. When I was discharged from active duty from the Navy and reported to reserves I was put in front of the marching unit. When we were told to march right I turned left and ran into a bunch a "boots" who never me live it down. And before that when I was sworn in, standing in front of the captain he said raise your right hand which he did. I followed suit however his right was my left so actually I never was sworn in...seems like all my life I have had a right - left dysfunction so I can't blame it on my age.
We knew what you meant.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:15 AM   #14
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by grampachet

Don, I was only kiddin. When I was discharged from active duty from the Navy and reported to reserves I was put in front of the marching unit. When we were told to march right I turned left and ran into a bunch a "boots" who never me live it down. And before that when I was sworn in, standing in front of the captain he said raise your right hand which he did. I followed suit however his right was my left so actually I never was sworn in...seems like all my life I have had a right - left dysfunction so I can't blame it on my age.
We knew what you meant.

Navy man huh! me to loved every minute and every year 60 - 64 Air Department.
Yep Left is port and right is starbord and a floor is still a floor.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:44 AM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Looks good, Don. And looks like the control center of a great truck!

8 years, 8 months, 28 days for me. I have to say, though, that I enjoy it a whole lot more now, looking back on the good times, than I did when actually living them! But there still are many great memories from those days.

On edit -- Looking at the pictures, I meant to mention that when we first got the Dodge and I looked at the buttons for the cruise on the steering wheel I was lamenting the loss of steering wheel controls for the "entertainment center" my Fords had. It took a few days before my fingers "stumbled upon" the controls on the BACK side of the steering wheel. I had to dig out the manual to see what did what since I can't see them very well on the back side. Now I have it all committed to memory, thankfully.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 02:08 PM   #16
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Yea I wish I knew back then what I know now I would have been an Admeral

As for all the buttons on and behind the steering wheel it's overwhelming, the only thing I dont like about it is at night they dont light up at night to see what the heck you need to push.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:15 PM   #17
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
I had life too easy. I was Navy reserve. My duty was the USS Galveston CLG3. We were in Nam 64-65. I was in the OL Division (Lookout). We worked so hard using the binoculars watching for what ever we could see. It was almost like being on vacation, well sorta looking back on it now. As soon as I was discharged the ship took a Med cruise than was decommissioned. Would have liked a Med cruise but am glad I did get out when I did.
God had plans for me I had never imagined, but would not want to change.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:24 AM   #18
FLSTS03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8231
Thanks everyone,

Went right(left looks mighty good Don) but can't seem to get the bracket from canting just a little. You would think Tekonsha would include a fully adj. bracket. I would post a pic if I had a clue on how. Steve
Old 08-03-2009, 06:30 AM   #19
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I agree Steve an adjustable mounting bracket that would give the installer at least 45 deg to play with, at least Tekonsha should make it an option if a person needed it. simular to the leveling bubble mounts to put on the hitch head of the 5er those were not available 10 years ago now the are.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:15 AM   #20
FLSTS03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8231
does this look like the angles are ok? Steve