Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 12-17-2008, 01:10 PM   #1
blamb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8858
Generators: Honda or Onan?

I'd like to try to save up and invest in a generator. When the electricity goes out as it often does here, it hits me pretty hard - I can't hear at all since I can't charge my implant batteries, I cannot contact anyone since my only communication is internet (no phone), text messaging only lasts a day before my pager's battery dies, etc. So it'd be really helpful to have one.

I did a little research and so far it seems the best choices are the Honda 3000 or the appropriate Onan.

I know my Monty is pre-wired for the Onan (but not the Honda). With the Onan, I like the idea of being able to keep the generator in the front bay and use it there as well, as it would solve a lot of security issues for me, but I have yet to obtain a price quote on those.

But I also like Honda 3000 for the power and quietness everyone says it is great for. I have been in the presence of one running and it is impressively quiet (I can tell by the vibrations, even.) However, the Honda presents a troublesome issue of where to store it, both while not being used and being used, and how to keep it from getting stolen. It's also too heavy for me to drag out of the front bay when I need to use it, and since it can't be operated while inside the front bay, I can't keep it in there.

When the electricity goes out, the main important things for me are to charge my implant batteries (no more than rechargeable regular batteries), my pager, to run the computer, monitor, modem, etc, and to operate the microwave and AC/furnace alternatively, as well as at least a couple of lights. The computer would likely always be on since that's my "phone" as well as the AC/Furnace. The rest of it, I would use one at a time. When I used a wattage usage chart, I came out at about 5800.

The guy I talked to about the Honda 3000 said it would be sufficient for my needs. I have yet to talk to a guy about an Onan, though.

Which generator would/did you choose, and why?

blamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 01:45 PM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
My Onan is pretty darn quiet too! I hit the kill button on mine from the bedroom once and didn't hold it down long enough. It restarted and ran for another 2-hrs before I even noticed it. Now I have to run outside to make sure it's off.

It's all about need vs budget. The Onans are probably the more expensive to buy and install, and probably the least efficient, but the convenience is similar to what you have on a MH.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 02:36 PM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
blamb, From all that I have read about your problems, I think the Installed Onan would be what you need especially since you can start the Onan while in the trailer. Of course, there is a HUGE price difference. Of course, if you don't plan on moving ever you might do better with a residential type gen. Then the noise level might come into play. A lot to look into, perhaps others will have advice also.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 03:13 PM   #4
blamb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8858
Are the Onan's just as efficient and powerful as the Honda?
blamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 06:33 PM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
The Honda is probably more efficient than the Onan. The Honda Inverter Generators are definitely more efficient, as they idle down when consumption is low.

Power is relative - both Onan and Honda have different models that produce varying levels of power. A 6,000 watt generator is 6,000 watts whether its a Honda or Onan, so it doesn't matter. Engine size or horsepower is not a factor either.

But if you really want to compare power - just remember Onan is a division of CUMMINS!. Honda is a division of......well......Honda! At least every 50 hours of use, I have to feed my Onan a couple of Honda's for Breakfast or it gets temperamental
Old 12-18-2008, 03:23 AM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Our old 3400RL has an Onan that I had installed upon purchase. About $4500, for the 6000 watt if I remember corretly.

The Onan for Montana line uses propane, so that is another consideration. The Honda uses gasoline. Our 6000 watt generator would run about 12 hours on a tank of propane, depending on how high a load was on it. Running two air conditioners would knock it down to about 8-10 hours. I cannot speak for the Honda running time on a tank of gas.

You may want to consider a connection to your trailer batteries for a cheap 15 watt inverter from an electronic store. The current draw for charging you implant batteries and your pager battery would be minimal. That would at least give you peace of mind for security purposes. Any handyman could wire the inverter for you. I don't remember if the Monty has a 12Vdc plug in such as used for a cigarette lighter, but I think it does. Our SOB has one and I use it to charge our phones. An inverter could be plugged into it when needed.

Just some thoughts.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:29 AM   #7
ALAN
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4279
I TALKED WITH AN INDIVIDUAL HERE IN PHX THAT HAD A 3400RL AND USED A SMALL (12"SQ) SOLAR PANEL TO TRICKLE CHARGE HIS BATTERIES. THIS APPROACH COMBINED WITH THE INVERTER MAY GIVE YOU A WAY TO KEEP BOTH THE HOUSE BATTERY AND YOUR PERSONAL BATTERIES CHARGED. JUST A THOUGHT FOR ABOUT $50 FOR THE SOLAR UNIT.

ALAN & KATHY
ALAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:37 AM   #8
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I agonized over Yamaha vs Honda vs Onan vs Generac...gas vs diesel vs propane. They say doing nothing is a decision, well that was my decision. I did not buy one and have not needed one.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:48 AM   #9
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

Our old 3400RL has an Onan that I had installed upon purchase. About $4500, for the 6000 watt if I remember corretly.

The Onan for Montana line uses propane, so that is another consideration. The Honda uses gasoline. Our 6000 watt generator would run about 12 hours on a tank of propane, depending on how high a load was on it. Running two air conditioners would knock it down to about 8-10 hours. I cannot speak for the Honda running time on a tank of gas.

Wayne, How big a tank does the Onan have?
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:50 AM   #10
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I believe Wayne was referring to the factory LP tanks on board which are 30lb or 7.5 gal.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:54 AM   #11
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
We have had Onan generators and have been VERY pleased with them. Doug found two of three that we've purchased over time for our RVs on ebay and gotten VERY good deals on them. Once we received them, Doug took them to the Cummings/Onan people for check-ups (no problems with either of them) and then hooked them up. The most recent one had never been used as it was from an RV that had been in an accident when being taken for delivery and the guy that does the pick-up salvage put it on ebay. We had it shipped to the shipping company's hub ($200.00 cheaper) and then they loaded it on the p/up truck and it went to the service center straight from there. Oh, and it was still covered under warranty as new!

Something to think about from a cost savings standpoint when you are finally ready to buy. In the interim I would strongly recommend a solar charger for the batteries (we had one on our SOB) to keep them fully (hopefully) charged, and use the inverter for the basic electrical/electronic "necessities" you have in case of power outages.

As far as choices go they are both good companies and have good products so it may be a personal preference thing when the time comes to buy.

Good luck!
Robin
eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 01:32 PM   #12
lcarter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7240
We use to have two Honda 2000s. They worked great and were fairly quiet. I believe the Honda 3000 is much heavier than one 2000. That makes it difficult to move around. We now have a Onan 5.5 installed. I prefer the Onan. It does burn some propane but the pay off is that you can run anything in your trailer without worry. We could not do that with the two 2000s. Both are good. It just depends on how you want to go.
lcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 04:55 PM   #13
wersqu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5683
We camp with another couple with SOB of trailer and he solved this by using 2 Honda 2000's coupled together. Each Honda only weighs 45lbs. It gives him the flexibility to use anywhere he needs at a weight easily handled. He is not a fulltimer and has many uses other than camping. It is more involved but with a bad back the weight and ease of moving them attracted him.
wersqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 02:55 AM   #14
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
When choosing a generator pay attention to the run rating not the peak rating. The Honda 3000 has a 2600 watt run rating and a peak of 3000. It is not intended to run at peak rating. I couldn't find run vs peak specs for the Onan. We run our generators at no more than 85% of maximum rating.

With respect to the front compartment not taking the Honda, any electrician should be able to wire any generator into the pre-generator wiring that is provided. Generator slides are available that allow the unit to slide out of the RV so it runs cooler and there is less risk of carbon monoxide getting into the trailer.
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 04:25 PM   #15
tehachapatch
Established Member

M.O.C. #6011
I chose to go with a Honda 3000 mostly because of it being the quietest genset out there and it can run everything I need. I looked a mounting an Onan in the front bay, but my Monte is not wired for the generator and it doesn't have the required sealed metal box to separate it from the coach. That extra work would have cost $7-800 extra on top of the very high cost of the Onan. I ended up having a rear frame mounted receiver hitch built with a platform and a short power cord to the receptical. I leave it there while traveling and at home unless I need to use it elsewhere. It has a remote control available to start it from inside the coach if you need it. Under about half load, it will run 12-15 hours on a tank of gas.

Phil
tehachapatch is offline   Reply With Quote