Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2006, 01:01 PM   #1
Navigator
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1894
Public thank you to MIMF2!

Dale, I promised that I was going to start singing your praises so here goes!

THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU
THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU!

Another line of thank yous goes to George Davis from the Lippert company for his expert help.

Now for the rest of you who don't have a clue as to what I'm talking about here's the story....

Dale Brubaker (MIMF2), from Lippert, came to our rescue when we asked for help in adjusting our kitchen slide on our 3400RL. Keystone basically had told us to "go pound sand" because we didn't discover the problem within the first year of ownership. Dale put us in touch with George Davis who leveled the sagging slide and replaced our leaking hydrolic pump.

Thanks so much to the both of you, you're the best!!!

Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 03:45 PM   #2
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Jim,

It's nice to hear that Dale and the folks at Lippert are doing a great job of standing behind their products!! Way to go Dale!!!
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 04:07 PM   #3
Lije Baley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3890
We're really impressed with Dale and Lippert. At the Minden rally Dale spent hours on the ground repairing a bad hydraulic unit in one of the Montanas.

Lije Baley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 10:43 AM   #4
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Once again Dale has come to the rescue. He's certainly an asset to our forum
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 09:46 AM   #5
Montana_2913
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2913
My neighbors bought a 3400 (think I got that model correct). A few weeks ago he had a problem with one of his slides. He was telling me the story of how he was on the phone with someone who was very helpful and very polite - took extra time to walk him thru the problem etc. I knew it was Dale I myself have never spoken with Dale but I have read many topics where people are thanking him for his help. When I asked my neighbor if in fact it was Dale he said it was. He of course wanted to know how I knew that and I told him again - The Montana Owners Forum.
I had already told him about the forum but he had not taken the time to check it out. I think he will now. He is a Mr Fix-it who would rather try and repair a problem without the service dept having to be involved. There are many friendly helpful people here and with all of their experiences posted here on the forum it certainly makes it easier to figure out a problem with a Montana/Montaineer.
Kudos to you Dale
Montana_2913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 09:58 AM   #6
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
We were just gettin ready to post a thank you to Dale ourselves!!!

A few moons ago, OK, more than a few, Dale told us all bout those bolts in the slides that had short shaft and the threads were shearing off. Told us the size of the bolt to get, length of shaft, all that stuff. Al went out and purchased the bolts and had em in the "junk" drawer, errrrr, parts drawer in Tana.

Two nights ago he was inspecting the bolts and guess what he found?? YEPPPP. One laying on the ground, sheared off.

He replaced em all and found one more with serious damage and two others that were starting to show wear as well, in other words, 3 out of 4 were showing wear, up to shearing off.

Thanks Dale for sharing that problem with all of us, now Al won't be doing that repair in sub zero weather, or even worse yet, when the twins are here and wanting to go CAMPING!! with grampa!

WHAT WOULD MOC DO WITHOUT DALE???? (Shiver me bones, don't even want to think bout that!!!!)

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 06:24 AM   #7
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Have to agree with all the good things in regard to Dale, We are very fortunate. I was looking at another forum and there was an individual there with a slide problem. Guess what, due to having read the informative posts from Dale in the past, I was able to help the individual solve his problem.
Thanks Dale!
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 08:27 AM   #8
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
Yep! Have to agree with all of the above! Dale is our Forum Hero! We were one of the rigs that Dale worked on so hard and so long at the Minden Rally last year! And Dale, just so you know, if we ever meet up with you again, say at another rally or such, I will gladly make you more Red Velvet Cake! We are very grateful to you!

Joy
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 12:48 PM   #9
MIMF2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3886
Joy,

I can guarantee that we WILL meet up at a rally again someday!! Know why?? I want more of that cake!! Jeez!! Why did you have to bring up the subject of Red Velvet Cake for, again? Now my mouth is watering all over my keyboard!

Is everything working OK on your coach as far as the slide rooms are concerned? If I remember correctly. we put a new hydraulic cylinder under your main room, didn't we?

As for all of you folks, you taking this hero thing too far! As I have said before, "it is all only in a days work"........but I like it!

Y'all have a great day and safe travels!

Dale and Gail
MIMF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 06:37 PM   #10
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
I have a 3575RL ('03) and have had a couple of bolts sheer off on my main slide (13'). I wonder if the bolts that Carol was talking about would be what I would need. I did go to the hardware and bought the hardest bolt I could that was the same size and guess what, it wouldn't fit. When I went back to the softer bolt if fit perfect. Would I be okay to ask what size or type of bolt you got or for Dale's number, maybe he could look up what bolt I should use?
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 05:18 AM   #11
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MAMalody

I have a 3575RL ('03) and have had a couple of bolts sheer off on my main slide (13'). I wonder if the bolts that Carol was talking about would be what I would need. I did go to the hardware and bought the hardest bolt I could that was the same size and guess what, it wouldn't fit. When I went back to the softer bolt if fit perfect. Would I be okay to ask what size or type of bolt you got or for Dale's number, maybe he could look up what bolt I should use?
Mike are the bolts that you are talking about 1/4 x 20 on the square tubing under the slides. if they are Dale had a topic with pictures and the type bolt to use I even posted a picture but for the life of me I dont know how to retreave the information from the arkives, maybe some body else out there remembers the topic I do know the bolts needed were 1/4 x 20 x 1.5 inches long schedual "8" bolts.

Old 07-13-2006, 03:54 PM   #12
Oregon Gypsys
Established Member

M.O.C. #2110

We would certainly like to add a double THANK YOU to Dale
also. He not only saved us only the slide bolts last summer but
also on the front slide. The slide gearbox failed and I called
Dale and he UPS'd us the new part and we were good to go again.
Thanks again
Oregon Gypsys
Oregon Gypsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 06:37 PM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Not only have we met Dale, this past weekend we had the very enjoyable pleasure of meeting his lovely wife, Gail, and spending the weekend at an rv park with Dale and Gail. They are truly enjoyable and gracious hosts. And they make a terrific shrimp boil!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 07:09 PM   #14
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
TT2 that picture and bolt are the culprit (sp). The dealer swaped out the first one that broke on the right side of the slide. Luckily, I was there and saw what they did. The left one broke a couple of months later and it my wife and I 2 hours and three trips to the hardware store (remember the harder bolt did not fit). I guess at $95 per hour it was worth it. I now have two bolts in my basement in case of trouble out of town. I didn't know if it was a sacrificial part or not. The tech said it was the first one he saw that sheared off...he guessed it may have been overtorqued when installed.
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 08:34 PM   #15
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Too bad about the $95.00 per hour, but there was a rather long post in this very Item. Dale came to the rescue as usual, and recomended using the 1/4 x 20 x 2" grade eight, or standard bolt, I guess a person could use a standard bolt but keep an eye on it, if you know what I mean, the square tubeing and the round shaft of the gear I guess cut them like that thred cutter on that crimping tool. I have been procrastinating in the changing of mine on all three slides, just no excuse. But I do check them before every trip.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:24 AM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Mike, at the Fall rally last year MIMF explained why those bolts are shearing. On the earlier models, like yours and ours, the bolt shoulders were too short, causing some of the stress to put on the threads of the bolt. That's a weak point and where they shear. We sheared one a couple of months ago but thanks to Dale I had some spares on hand. I would have had trouble finding one on Sunday morning in Moab, UT. The newer ones have a longer shoulder as do the replacements I bought.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote