Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-01-2013, 03:10 AM   #41
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=51360

Sue noticed the wear at 300-3500 miles.
Goodyear asked me to stop at a dealer and have them look at the tires, I did so, then Goodyear gave me 4 new ones, I paid for the mounting and balancing. Goodyear agreed that it was abnormal wear.
Some of the wear showed shredding on the worn part of the tire.
All 4 tires are worn inside and out.
Lonnie was nice and drove a couple hundred miles to look at the tires when we were in Tucumcari N.M.
I have the 4 new tires on my rig now, they have about 200 miles on them, changed them out in Cottonwood Arizona.
I don't care to spend the money on a high priced tire and watch the tire wear on both sides in 3000 miles. If the rubber is gone on the edges of the tire, it is more vulnerable to punctures, and when you can buy another tire that does not wear on the edges, I would think that would be the better use of my tire money.
By the way, I did not panic, I contacted Goodyear, and they replaced the tires that they agreed should not wear that way.
I am very happy with their customer service.
Not so much with that tire....

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:15 AM   #42
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Ozz, from the sounds of things after reading many threads about the G614, it is a common wear pattern, some worse then others. I am wondering if there is any real danger in the tire failing due to the amount of rubber on them. What I am not reading is widespread failures. My goal is getting five years out of my trailer tires regardless of wear pattern. I doubt that in most cases one can actually wear out a G614 in five years, I know I won"t . At this point I am not too concerned about the concave wear on mine, time will tell.

If I understand you right you are on your second set of G614's, and are they showing the same wear pattern ?
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:25 AM   #43
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
With the cost of everything now days, we all have to be cautious about the items we buy, especially big ticket items like tires. I understand you wanting to get all the wear you can out of your tires, don't blame you a bit.
I hope your travels are safe, and the tires hold up.
Yes, the second pair, I only have 200 miles on them. If they hadn't given me the new set of 4, I would have got different tires. Free is good.. No abnormal wear on the 200 miles
See my new post on the tires, I am not the only one who has had problems with the tire.
I contacted Tredit, they supply tires to Keystone, they admit the tire has "A unique tire design" Yep, unique is right..
Old 01-01-2013, 05:56 AM   #44
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
I have no doubt that this is a unique wear pattern, what I do have doubt on is it causing any problems over the long run. There seems to be no one having tire failures, just concerns about this concave wear pattern. It will be interesting to see how this plays out in the long run.

Back a few years ago you could read about the G614 failures, but the last couple years it seems they have been a pretty solid tire. There was one failure on RV net that I read this past year, but the tires had a lot of miles, and were 5 years old.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:09 AM   #45
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Since I still have my Goodyear Marathons on my fiver I cannot speak from personal experience on the G614's however, my brother in law put them on his SOB which rivals the Montana for weight and may in fact weigh more, after approximately 10k miles they are showing no signs of the kind of wear in the pictures you have posted Ozz. My daughter has them on her horse trailer that has front living quarters and a GVWR of 16,500 lbs with over 10k on the tires and again no unusual wear.

The tires mentioned above in both cases show even wear across the tread face and in the case of my daughter were manufactured in '09.

There has been lots of comment on the unusual wear but there seems to be virtually no major problems with the tires. Not even the "so called" experts on tires has any kind of rational explanation as to why this strange pattern exists on these tires.

It seems to me that in most cases the tire is blamed, when IMHO most problems are created from under inflation and over loading. The one tire I ever had a problem with was due to my not having the proper air pressure in it. I admit it and won't blame the tire as it wore down to the wire and still maintained air, had it blown it would have been my fault, not the fault of the tire.

I also believe if we have a bad experience with a specific make of tire we will consider them all to be the same. Based on what I have actually seen of these G614 tires as I mentioned above, if I can afford them when the time comes, I will most certainly buy them.
Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:07 AM   #46
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
I think you will find that in Ozz's case the tires were neither underinflated or overloaded.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:41 AM   #47
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 8.1al

I think you will find that in Ozz's case the tires were neither underinflated or overloaded.
Roger that...
Old 01-02-2013, 12:30 PM   #48
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Same here. We do run heavy but have had the rig weighed at each wheel and we are not even close to being over the ratings for those tires. And I keep ours inflated to the full 110 psi.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:36 PM   #49
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Yep, I got the thumbs-up from Lonnie. He drove all the way up to Tucumcari from his Compound in Clovis. What a great guy he is, I know he helped you with tires as well.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:05 PM   #50
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
For what it's worth, here are a few things I know to be factual. The tires on both Ozz's and sreigle's trailers have never been ran under inflated according to Goodyear's Load and Inflation Table. They have not been overloaded, and nothing has been coming in contact with them other than the roads they are running on. Neither of these trailers have a suspension or alignment problem. All four tires on both of these trailers exhibit the same wear characteristics. Since this issue was brought to my attention by Ozz, I have seen the G614 on several other trailers of varying types, including three different horse trailers with living quarters in the front, all exhibiting the exact same wear patterns. Some have been very pronounced and obvious, others very slight and hard to see, but they all had it.

It is my opinion (as a "so called" expert on tires) this wear isn't going to have any adverse effect on the dependability or longevity of the tires. It looks bad but I doubt the shoulders of the tires will ever reach the first steel belt before the tread wears out. I am also of the opinion the tire, and only the tire, is the problem.

LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:21 PM   #51
kab449
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11842
There you have it! We can now take the G614 off its pedestal and place it in the same category as many other tires. Do your own research, then buy and maintain the tires that are correct for you.
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:37 AM   #52
Leaseit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5356
Quote:
quote:Posted - Oct 12 2012 : 8:58:21 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interesting, concave around both edges?
I plan on sending the Goodyear area supervisor my pictures, but AFTER I get mine. We all need to know. I wonder what will happen in another 4500 miles. Others here need to know also.
Ozz, did you ever hear anything from the Goodyear Rep, or did he just go quite? I am also curious, have you had the axles aligned at anytime since you have owned the trailer and if so when please. I'd sure be interested in that because of axle people talling me about alignment on trailers.
Thank you Ozz
Randy

Leaseit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:04 PM   #53
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Yes, I did, we talked a few times, their position on the tires is they "are aware of the wear issue".
The wear is equal on all tires, equal on both sides of the tires, so alignment is not the issue.
I have got many private emails from MOC folks that have had Goodyear give them all 4 free, after confirming the alignment, tire pressure were correct. No argument, 4 free. Usually, they go by tread left..the tool that measures tread depth.
They did this for me as well.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:29 PM   #54
Leaseit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5356
Thanks Ozz for that info....

I've had these G614's wear on the outer edge, both inside and out and wron them down to belts show. Botton line is i am really thinking
avout 17.5 tirs becasue i've had two axle and tire guys say that the sidewalls, while flexing to giving a smootherride for the coach, will flex more and that to do that the compound is softer for the
sidewalls to flex. They were saying smaller sidewall like on the 17.5 tires becasue of less flexing and harder compound rubber. You know how that goes, THEY SAY, but who knows. The flex part sounds right. It seems i have read on other forms that anumber of their pople are biting the bullet and moving up to the 17.5 tire. Only problem is $$$ to make the switch.

Randy
Old 01-04-2013, 01:44 AM   #55
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Leaseit

Thanks Ozz for that info....

I've had these G614's wear on the outer edge, both inside and out and worn them down to belts show. Bottom line is i am really thinking
avout 17.5 tires because I've had two axle and tire guys say that the sidewalls, while flexing to giving a smoother ride for the coach, will flex more and that to do that the compound is softer for the
sidewalls to flex. They were saying smaller sidewall like on the 17.5 tires because of less flexing and harder compound rubber. You know how that goes, THEY SAY, but who knows. The flex part sounds right. It seems i have read on other forms that anumber of their people are biting the bullet and moving up to the 17.5 tire. Only problem is $$$ to make the switch.

Randy
So they do wear to the cords! I was wondering about that. Steve R. has the most miles I have heard of on the tires, he must not have many parking lot miles, that is where they ...I can't say shred..got called on that... lose rubber.. not going down the road. Lonnie has a book that shows abnormal wear issues, one of the photo's show our wear: outside and inside equal wear, they state highway speed mountain driving as the cause, same dynamics as a bunch of parking lot turns.
I would double check the larger tires clearance issues, might be a problem going with larger tires/wheels.
Take care, Ozz
Old 01-04-2013, 02:47 AM   #56
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
The 17.5 G114 are almost identical in size. Actually slightly smaller in all dimensions. .2" less in circumference and .1" Not a problem going with them. So close - I kept one of my G614's as a spare.
Other 17.5's (Sumitomo Michelin, Hankook, Cooper,Bridgestone, Continental, Toyo.. they are all equal to (30.7") or a few tenths less. None have a larger diameter. Lots of choices in the 17.5 range.

I've noticed in sharp corners/backing the tires flex a lot less. Big difference. I've noticed the same with the Mor/Ryde IS as well. With the leaf springs the assembly would creak and lean in and out quite a bit - now they are rock solid.

Randy - Do you have any pictures of the tire edges worn down to the belts?? That must have been a pretty fantastic wear pattern to get that deep on the edges. How much tread was left on the crown? Was the rest of the tire worn evenly? How many miles on the tires? How many years? Did you have them from new? Would be a good resource for those who still have them on their rigs. Inquiring minds want to know.

Gkerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:09 PM   #57
Leaseit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5356
Quote:
quote:So they do wear to the cords! I was wondering about that. Steve R. has the most miles I have heard of on the tires, he must not have many parking lot miles, that is where they ...I can't say shred..got called on that... lose rubber.. not going down the road. Lonnie has a book that shows abnormal wear issues, one of the photo's show our wear: outside and inside equal wear, they state highway speed mountain driving as the cause, same dynamics as a bunch of parking lot turns.
I would double check the larger tires clearance issues, might be a problem going with larger tires/wheels.
Take care, Ozz
Ozz,
To answer your question. I have G614 on the front axle with 34,422 actual towing mile on them. They have edge wear but still good tread on them. I am hoping, by looking at them only, to get another 6 to 9 K miles out of them. Hope Hope Hope....
The tires on the rear axle did not fair so well and that is why i started asking questions from any tire/Axle Tech that i could.
Here is why. The Drivers Side Rear lasted 21,426 and the Passenger Side Rear lasted 24,053. They both had cords show up on the edges with some good rubber in the center. The thing is, the cords showed up real unexpected for what ever reason even though the edges did not appear that bad. I was lucky because i keep a close eye on tires and running gear.
I have had the axles aligned once with these tires on the trailer and one other time when the original factory garbage tires were on the trailer.
I had the spring replaced on both axles in July because the original factory springs had sagged. I know because i measured them as per Dexter, so i went to 4,000 lbs spring all the way around.
It is a normal thing that leaf springs, or coil, will loose the memory and sag. What makes it worse is becasue these are "Short Springs" as opposed to longer truck springs like on Sues Truck. (Had to get that in Sorry... Hehhe)
When i replaced the Rear Passenger side tire in El Paso Tx, and thanks to Lonnie for finding a tire place for me, the guy made the comment, "Yep, Rear tire on a dual axle trailer"
I ask "What does that mean"? Answer: they always wear out faster. Then in July when i had the springs replaced at MoTrailer, the Tech made a comment about the difference in wear on the rear tires.
His reponce was, If a guy calls saying he has a broken spring, i always bet him its the rear one and i always win. He said, the rear axles and tires always take a worse beating on dual axle trailes with "Short Springs"
Here is food for thought. I ask the tire dealer why the edges wear like that. Answer. Because those tires have a higher side wall for a better ride and they flex more than a stiff tire plus you don't have shocks. SHOCKS??? OH NO not that dirty word again.
He said, think of a big rubber ball with lots of flex bouncing un-resticked(Shocks) A stiffer side wall produces less bounce and you have a softer side wall without shocks to keep the bounce down on a heavy tire.
I don't mean to open pandora's box here, only giving information in the hopes it will give some insight and maybe an answer to the wierd wear on the edges.

Randy

Old 01-04-2013, 03:22 PM   #58
Leaseit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5356
Quote:
quote:Randy - Do you have any pictures of the tire edges worn down to the belts?? That must have been a pretty fantastic wear pattern to get that deep on the edges. How much tread was left on the crown? Was the rest of the tire worn evenly? How many miles on the tires? How many years? Did you have them from new? Would be a good resource for those who still have them on their rigs. Inquiring minds want to know
Greg, i think i have pictures someplace in the 40 Gig Byte picture archive. Hahahha I will look and see if i can locate them and post.
I had tread in the middle/crown, yes. I posted the mileage in my responce to Ozz above. These were all new G614 tires.
The 17.5 tires have a stiffer side wall and on other trailers i have seen backing don't seem to flex as much as the G614's. The G614's seem to scuff the edges when backing on hard ground and think some wear but not all wear may be coming from that. I don't believe though that backing is the total answer to the question.

Randy
Old 01-07-2013, 11:10 AM   #59
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

So they do wear to the cords! I was wondering about that. Steve R. has the most miles I have heard of on the tires, he must not have many parking lot miles, that is where they ...I can't say shred..got called on that... lose rubber.. not going down the road. Lonnie has a book that shows abnormal wear issues, one of the photo's show our wear: outside and inside equal wear, they state highway speed mountain driving as the cause, same dynamics as a bunch of parking lot turns.
Take care, Ozz
Jim, as you already know, we tend to avoid interstates whenever possible, preferring to take the more interesting and more scenic US and State highways. We probably get more curves and corner turns that way than we would on most interstates. We also this past Spring towed clear through the heart of Colorado on US 50. We have done some interstate, mostly in the southern Arizona/New Mexico area where there are not a lot of other choices. The 17k miles is since April 2010 and actually shows that we have slowed down a lot since the 38k miles we did the first year of fulltiming. I doubt my description here helps any in understanding the kind of towing we do but maybe it will help.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:43 AM   #60
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I was told by my wife I need to clarify a couple of my posts.

First, KAB449, I was not being sarcastic when I wished you luck with the new tires. I do hope they work out for you and am interested in your experience with them over time.

On my original post, the $2200 was not for the G614 tires. That was for repairing the damage from the blowout of the China bomb. The cost in April, 2010 for 5 G614 tires was $1334.54 including tax, installation, new valve stems, balancing all five tires.

We've had 17k miles in 2 1/2 years with no tire problems. That's a first for us.