Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2009, 05:35 AM   #1
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
Exhaust Brakes

If you have an exhaust brake on your truck whether it is a factory install or after market you should use it all of the time. If you only pull on weekends and holidays and use the the truck for work or running around the brake could carbon up if not used. I have had 2 after market and 1 factory exhaust brake and was told by the first installer that he had several come back because the owners thought they should only use it when towing. The carbon build up would not let the brake close so they had no brake.

hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 06:01 AM   #2
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
On our Chevy Kodiak 4500 with the factory equiped exhaust brake it was advised that we use the exhaust brake on a regular basics. Because if not used it would be harmful to the units ability to work properly. I didn't use it all the time but on occasion I would use it such as running on the interstate when exiting when not pulling the 5er. Its not a good idea to use it on wet surfaces when bob-tailing. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 06:02 AM   #3
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
My Banks exhaust brake activates every time I start the engine and the engine is cold, whether I have the switch on or not. It will stay closed until the engine temp reaches 150 degrees. This helps the engine warm up faster. It also activates the brake whether I'm using it or not.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 09:34 AM   #4
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
I engage my factory exhaust brakes when I get moving whether towing or not. It saves wear and tear on the truck brakes by 20% according to Dodge. I like to use the electronic shifter to manually slow down the truck when coming off freeway etc. It will slow me down to about 20 MPH used this way. I agree with Hookman about carbon build up on these moving parts is not good. The last time I talked to the Dodge service people in Olympia about a problem I had with Regen on my Cummings they told me to "Drive it like I stoled it". So when the DW asks me why I'm doing 80 mph by the time I get to the top of a on ramp I say Dodge told me to!!! Of course she says I do it because I can! She might be right.
You gotta love the 6.7 Cummings right Mr. Sreigle
Larry in Olympia
Drifty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 06:24 PM   #5
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
Our truck has the factory exhaust brake and the first thing I do is activate it after the truck is running. I wish the default would be to have it on when the truck is started. I too love the 6.7 Cummins.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 04:05 AM   #6
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
I have the banks system, It activates to warm up the engine when started. (IMHO) I don't agree that using it all the time is good or cost effective. It eleminates any coasting requiring using the throttle and would lower your gas mileage, not sure you would make up for it with savings on your brakes.
Mark
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:20 AM   #7
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mtheo

I have the banks system, It activates to warm up the engine when started. (IMHO) I don't agree that using it all the time is good or cost effective. It eleminates any coasting requiring using the throttle and would lower your gas mileage, not sure you would make up for it with savings on your brakes.
Mark
Is it the Banks mechanical system or the electronic one? I am thinking about the electronic one.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 11:47 AM   #8
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mtheo

Mark
Mark, I agree with you. My 09 Dodge 2500 is my first vehicle with an exhaust brake. I have read many pro's and con's as to when to use it. I keep going back to your argument as the rig won't coast with it on. Jim C.
Old 10-11-2009, 04:33 PM   #9
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
Mine is the mechanical system, and I love it.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 05:25 PM   #10
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
I find when I am in tow haul it works all the way down but in regular mode the brake has very little effect at low speeds.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:50 PM   #11
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I have the Banks Exhaust Brake and have had it since January 2002. Never had a problem with it. Mine only engages at RPMs over 1500 so when I'm driving in metro areas I drive in 3rd gear (4-speed transmission - no tow/haul). On the open road, I disengage it and then only engage when I reach the top of a hill or when I spot slowing traffic ahead.

I find it very handy to slow the rig down and according to Ford garage, my brakes normally last a lot longer than the average (and we're towing all the time!)

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 05:29 AM   #12
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
I can't imagine not having the Banks electronic SpeedBrake if you have the right vehicle to use it.
The testing they did shows how much greater it works than a mechanical exhaust brake.
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 05:55 AM   #13
Dont
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6371
Send a message via MSN to Dont Send a message via Yahoo to Dont
Hi I have a 2004 5.7 disel 3500 dodge auto with 3.73 ,does any on no what it would cost to have a exhaust brake install.
Dont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 06:30 AM   #14
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dont

Hi I have a 2004 5.7 disel 3500 dodge auto with 3.73 ,does any on no what it would cost to have a exhaust brake install.
Don,

I had a Jacobs exhaust brake installed on my 2006 Dodge 3500. The cost was ~$1200 at the Dodge dealership. I always use the exhaust brake when driving....sitting still is another story, the hissing sound of the air can be annoying.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:30 AM   #15
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dont

It depends on which kind. The Jake type requires cutting and welding. From what I've read on the Banks electronic, it's all plug and play.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:41 AM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I also have the Dodge with the factory installed exhaust brake. I have no idea whether it's as good as the other brands, better, worse, whatever. I've never towed with any other exhaust brake.

As far as when to use it, I always use it when towing. I will occasionally activate it when not towing if it has been awhile since it's been used. A Dodge diesel mechanic told me to do that to avoid carbon buildup. I can't remember for sure but it sticks in my mind that the manual also mentions that. But I do not use it all the time.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 04:54 PM   #17
emorris548
Established Member

M.O.C. #8787
Send a message via MSN to emorris548
Don,
I also have a 04.5 Dodge CTD, with 3.73 gears. I had the Pac Brake installed by Camping World, in Folsom California. The cost was just over $1,900. Other shops may be a little lower. My truck was still under warranty, and just after installing the Exhaust Brake I got a check engine light, which turned out to be the transmission. The dealership tried to blame the exhaust Brake, I called CW who also called Pac Brake, and they both contacted Dodge, who admitted it was Dodge's problem and replaced the tranny. Dodge dealerships started to install exhaust brakes and continued the warranty on 2006 trucks. Pac Brake recommends using the brake all the time, (it also has a function which speeds up the engine warm up) however if you choose not to use it all the time they recommend a lube, which will keep it from freezing up.

Lee
emorris548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:54 AM   #18
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Regarding Lee's comments above -- the 3rd Generation transmission up until the 2006 model year did not have a heavy enough spline to carry the load that the exhaust brake puts on the auto transmission. I had an 04.5 with the 48RFE (I believe that is the correct number) transmission and Dodge, Banks, Pacbrake, and others all were working on trying to get an exhaust brake out for it that didn't twist that spline and disable the vehicle. The 06 Dodges came out with the same transmission but a heavier spline and Dodge started installing the Jacobs exhaust brake as an aftermarker / dealer accessory. I traded my truck shortly after the 06s came out and the exhaust brake cost me 1200 installed.

A good friend of mine kept his 03 and had an aftermarket torque converter and transmission installed as he damaged his transmission with the exhaust brake. He has had no problems with any of it since upgrading the tranny combination. I don't know what it cost him but I do know it was not cheap.

Bottom line to my long post is that you need to make sure which transmission you have (has it been repaired / upgraded with the newer internal spline(s)) and then go from there.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote