Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2005, 03:23 PM   #1
scrowba
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2570
SuperGlide 16K Hitch

For those of you that have superglide hitches, I have just had my second difficult time unhitching. When I went to pull the release, it would not open easily, I had to use a little force to unhitch. This has happened before and I was wondering if there are adjustments on the superglide to help correct this?

scrowba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 03:29 PM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I have had this happen a few times, found I did not take enough weight off kingpin to release pressure to pull handle open. If you raise your front jacks a little higher it should take that pressure off and you will be able to EASILY pull release handle. If this does not work you might need to back up an inch or so, there could be to much force on the hook around your kingpin not allowing the release. If these two options do not work take your plate off of hitch turn it over and spray WD-40, 3-in-1, or silicone spray lubricant on all the moving parts to make sure they move freely.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 05:18 PM   #3
The Wind
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4200
Yep to the good info about taking off the weight from the pin. Busted my elbow a few times before I realized that it would be alot easier when I would just back up a few inches. My elbow is HAPPY now that my mind got smarter. Finding out things like this way is good to learn.
The Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 11:19 PM   #4
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
When this happens to me, I chock the tires and back up a couple of inches. Then I can unhitch without a problem.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 12:00 AM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
50% of the time I had difficulty unhitching now 99% of the time I never have a problem.

When I was in Goshen I took a side trip to the PullRite plant in Mishawaka to have the hitch serviced. I was told by the plant manager and owner to place the chocks "behind" the tires on both sides and back into them. Maintain pressure against the chocks while you set the emergency brake and than put the TV in park. Doing this takes the pressure off the king pin and allows the handle to be pulled by a child. After backing into the chocks I can get out and pull the handle before even putting the front jacks down.

BTW-If you have a PullRite and are ever in the Elkhart area stop at the plant. Mishawaka is about 10 miles west of Elkhart I had my hitch checked and readjusted and they didn't charge me a dime.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 05:31 AM   #6
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
I agree with all the good advice about taking the pressure off the hitch by making sure your high enough and by backing into the chocks. I have a question about excessive "thunking" when pulling out from a stop. I have adjusted the hitch according to the manual but still get this thunk. Any suggestions?

BTW....I love the hitch and think and believe its worth the extra cost.
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 10:02 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I don't have the superglide but this sounds very similar to the Reese in turns of difficulty releasing the hitch. Glenn's solution is what also works for the Reese. However, I'm finding that if before I even set the wheel chocks if I set the emergency brake before putting the truck into park, that solves the problem 99% of the time. I guess putting it in park and releasing the service brake before engaging the emergency brake allow the truck to roll just enough to put a bind on the hitch. This might also work on the SG.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 11:32 AM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

........... I'm finding that if before I even set the wheel chocks if I set the emergency brake before putting the truck into park, that solves the problem 99% of the time. ...........
Steve, your method works fine IF the last direction you were headed in was reverse and the pressure is off of the pin and on the hitch. If you are pulling into a drive thru than the pressure is on the back of the hitch and against the pin and by setting the brake you retain the pressure on the pin.
By backing into the chock the pressure is completely off the pin and the lever can be pulled. Also the height has nothing to do with pulling the lever to release the hitch. The height is important when pulling away so as the bin box doesn't drag to heavily on the hitch. Those that were at the rally in Goshen can remember the fellow that dropped his 5er onto the bed rails. The hitch was released but the weight of the trailer was still on the hitch plate.

Pete, the excessive "thunking" when pulling out from a stop was corrected at the Pullrite plant by adding a spacer. I'm not even sure where this spacer went but the thunking did stop. You may want to contact PullRite at 877-PULLRITE on that one.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 03:50 AM   #9
hamcamper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #768
I too have found that sometimes the latch handle won't pull easily and like the others it was simply that I hadn't backed into the chocks sufficiently. The manual tells you to do just that but like many others I don't always read the manual first. Regarding adjustment, I wish Pulrite had supplied an offset wrench to loosen the locknut with as part of the package. I finally bought a 15/16th open end crows foot adapter which works but not as good as a properly designed wrench would.
hamcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 02:28 PM   #10
pud2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4142
I agree with montanasky i have had this happen to me but i don't have the superglide but have a slider. Also a pivoting head takes a lot of this out.
pud2 is offline   Reply With Quote