Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2005, 02:32 PM   #1
Jim and Carolyn

M.O.C. #2390
Landing Gear Problem

We have a 2005 3400RL. Today I retracted the front landing gear too far and it won't extend. I hear a ratcheting noise when I try to extend the gear. How can I fix this? Thanks Jim

Jim and Carolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 03:15 PM   #2
jackw87
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3007
I don't know if this is the problem or not but some times the bolt that connects the landing gears to the motor and between the 2 landing gears breaks or comes lose and lets the motor turn with out moving the landing gears
jackw87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 03:18 PM   #3
paulrem
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #299
Ours did the same type of thing and all I did was take the hand crank and turn very little. Take the crank out, if not you could hurt yourself. Try the switch and see if that will help you out. It worked for us.
paulrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 03:21 PM   #4
Jim and Carolyn

M.O.C. #2390
Thanks we tried that but the motor still does not engage.
Jim and Carolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 03:34 PM   #5
Montana_1892
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1892
hi, sounds like you broke the little gears that connect the motor to the shaft ... they usually sell the whole motor/gear box as one unit is my understanding. Haven't had to replace one, yet.
Montana_1892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 03:41 PM   #6
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Jim and Carolyn

We have a 2005 3400RL. Today I retracted the front landing gear too far and it won't extend. I hear a ratcheting noise when I try to extend the gear. How can I fix this? Thanks Jim
wel I hope it is not the moter and just the gear box get a hold of Brian he will get you all the info needed his Phone number is 1-866-524-7821 they make the landing gear for our Montanas.

TT2
Old 11-28-2005, 10:59 AM   #7
sgf
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #680
Yes,that is the correct number for Libbert warranty,either Brian(MIMF2),or George will answer and help you out.Sounds like a broken gear in the gearbox, they will ask you what make it is,look on the gearbox,it is probably a Venture.These guys are great to deal with, just have your vin# handy and your date of purchase,they will ship you a new one asap and areturn slip for UPS pre-paid by them,they also will talk you through how to replace.Real simple, there is only two bolts,one for the rod to the other leg to remove,then a phillips screw in the other leg and a spacer.Then you can pull the entire motor/gearbox assy. off the one leg.Then check to see if it moves in the gearbox while hitting the button,just replaced the leg on the motor side and took longer to hitch up to hold the weight then what the actual replacement was.Good luck.
sgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 12:44 PM   #8
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Our brand new 3670 stripped its drive gear first time out. I was able to get it replaced though another (non-Montana) Keystone dealer. I found it interesting that the original motor/gear assembly was made in China, the replacement was made in Dayton, OH. The replacment looked a bit better made. They are a one piece unit. The dealer tried to get the gear off, but found it was not possible. It is not hard to remove and replace the unit, I was able to just remove the defective unit and take it to the dealer, I did not have to take the whole trailer. I was not aware of the Lippert warranty service at the time, or I might of gone through them instead of a dealer.

Hand cranking the jacks is not as hard a thought it might be. I would suggest everyone at least take out the crank, find the fitting (ours in the propane locker), and try cranking, just in case you need to some day.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote