Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2012, 04:54 AM   #1
berridge
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6415
Black Tank Flush Line Leaking-Help

When I use the black tank flush, water pours out under the sliding door. It is likely a damaged check valve. I need help in locating this valve in my Monty 3075. I have removed the shower taps but cannot see anything through the opening nor is anything visible when I look in beside the sliding door itself. The wall on the other side is the entertainment centre in the 3075 model. Any help would be much appreciated.

berridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:10 AM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Wow! I have a 3075RL also but have never had that problem. I have never traced out that water line and am surprised it would go behind the sliding door/shower wall to get to the black tank.
But I do know I have seen water lines that run across under the steps to the bedroom. Looking thru the air openings under the steps I can see water lines under there. I am guessing it must be one of those. But don't have any idea as to how to get to the rest of those lines for maintenance.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:57 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I think you have to cut a hole in the cabinet/pantry to get to it, but I don't know the floorplan you have, have to look it up..
on edit, yes that is correct.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:19 AM   #4
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Take a bright flash light and shine it in the pocket door opening with the door at least half way out. The valve should be attached to a 2x4 about 25" or so, depending on which Amish craftsman installed it, and about 33" high, measured from the tread of the second step up to the bedroom. It is white and clear, most of the time. Once you get your beady eyes on it, measure, measure and then measure again. Now cut a hole in the back of the entertainment center.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:24 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Oops, I was on the wrong side of the doorway, thanks Michael
Old 09-26-2012, 07:11 AM   #6
berridge
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6415
Thanks for the ideas. I'm heading out to the trailer now so will see. The damage is my fault as I hooked into a supply line at the dump station without attaching a pressure control valve. I always do this when on site but have never done so when dumping. Lesson learned. Surely the bright lights at Montana could figure out how to mount the valve in a more accessable location. I'll have to pull the TV out to even get to the panel to cut.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:24 AM   #7
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
OK, now I am confused. My sliding (pocket) door (on my 3075) slides into the wall between the back of the shower and the back of the entry closet. It is on the opposite side of the door opening from the entertainment center cabinet.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:04 AM   #8
RonD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8962
We have a 3075, the black tank is on the right side as is the toilet, you can see a lot of the tank from the under storage area with the rear wall removed, if that helps any.
RonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:32 AM   #9
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BB_TX

OK, now I am confused. My sliding (pocket) door (on my 3075) slides into the wall between the back of the shower and the back of the entry closet. It is on the opposite side of the door opening from the entertainment center cabinet.
Ah ha!! In 2009 they moved the toilet to the opposite side of the trailer than on the earlier model 3075s. Now my brain feels a little better.

Berridge did not specify the model year of his.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:41 PM   #10
berridge
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6415
Success-sort of.By using a stronger light I was able to see a small part of the valve and so was able to determine its location relative to the shower taps. Once the panel securing the shower taps was removed I was able to reach the valve and after a struggle was able to remove it. (I have small hands). This device is a Lakeview RV Supply Model 1000 and the side arm was sheared off. According to the web this has happened to a number of folks. Now to find a replacement. My local dealer remembered that one of the makes he carries uses a similar device so he can order one. It is black but still made of plastic. One posting I found on line suggests that a bit of water left in the valve could freeze and crack it. It would be necessary to find a way to pump antifreeze into the flush line to prevent this. I am thinking of simlpy replacing the valve with a 90 degree elbow and then installing a brass check valve in the line at the convenience centre.
PS interesting that the floorplan was changed; mine is a 2009 model. Having the valve behind the closet would have made dealing with it a lot easier. If the valve had been 2 inches farther in I would have had to cut through the shower wall or disassemble the entertainment centre!
Old 09-26-2012, 02:57 PM   #11
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I took my backflow preventer out and use a brass one on the end of the hose I use to flush. At the Rally we made it plain that if Keystone needs to put those in the rig they need to make an access hole on all models so we can get to it when, not if, it craps out.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:12 AM   #12
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by berridge

I am thinking of simlpy replacing the valve with a 90 degree elbow and then installing a brass check valve in the line at the convenience centre.
Get a 90 degree shark bite from Home Depot, they just slip on, lock in place and never leak.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/cata...H_PL_SharkBite

Isn't there something special about the black check valve, like when not in use, air allows for the water to just run out so there is no pressure on it?????
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:30 PM   #13
Petmoose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12532
DQ Dick
I Ike your idea of taking the preventor out of the line and using one at the point of entry. Do you have a name of the brass one you use ? Any tricks to making the connection after you take the factory unit out ?

I have a 3582 and the only way to access the valve is to go through the shower faucets. Our frig backs up to the wall so I can not cut through a wall to make an opening to get to it easily so taking it out completely makes sense.

Thanks
Petmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:04 AM   #14
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
There is a reason they place it so high in the system, otherwise they would have put it where you could get to it, you don't want to suck that nasty water back into the system. Yuck!!
Old 09-28-2012, 03:24 AM   #15
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
There was a mention of water in this line or valve freezing. I had never thought of that! I'll add blowing this line out with air as part of my winterizing process as there is no easy way to get antifreeze in the line. Additionally, my valve started leaking and I had to cut a hole in the pantry closet to access it. Lowe's sells a universal door that can be used to cover the hole and it has an adjustable spring pressure back tabs that fits a wide range of openings and hold the door in place.
I am having problems getting a replacement valve. Keystone sells a kit through the dealer that has the valve and the black tank spray component. I contacted the valve vendor over a week ago and have had no response from them?
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:54 AM   #16
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by steves

There was a mention of water in this line or valve freezing. I had never thought of that! I'll add blowing this line out with air as part of my winterizing process as there is no easy way to get antifreeze in the line................
You can connect a hose to the outside shower connection and the other end to the black tank flush connection when you are winterizing and pump antifreeze thru the flush lines. This is assuming both are in the convenience center like mine. And the small blue coiled hose doesn't waste much antifreeze.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:12 AM   #17
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Quote:
quote:
You can connect a hose to the outside shower connection and the other end to the black tank flush connection when you are winterizing and pump antifreeze thru the flush lines. This is assuming both are in the convenience center like mine. And the small blue coiled hose doesn't waste much antifreeze.
Thanks - never thought of connecting up that way!
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:43 PM   #18
Wheelhouse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11462
The 90 degree elbow seems to be the nest solution. Went to three RV supply centers and was told it was a special order item they were not familiar with. Remedy was to take the air-gap out and replace with the 90. In stock were the brass one-way check valves about $16 that will replace the factory installed hose connection. Replacing the factory with the new Camco Tornado spray pattern head for about $38. Now taking the spray head off is another story of drilling three holes in the I-Beam in order to remove the three screws. Talk about a tight fitting space.
Wheelhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:20 AM   #19
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Check valves and anti-siphon are two different animals, go back with the same part, or brush your teeth with bottled water :0
You would be in trouble with the Mrs. if you siphoned in Black water to the fresh water system...or campground system.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:00 AM   #20
Wheelhouse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11462
I just got off the phone with Keystone and discussed the blackwater flushline with service department. The blackwater flushlne is a dedicated line to the blackwater tank only and has no contact with any other lines. It goes, hose connection/anti-syphin valve/sprayer. You can remove anti-syphin valve and replace it with a 90degree elbow. Also, replace the hose connection with one having a one-way check valve. Factory install is an open-line system with no check valve. You'll have to drill three hole in the I-Beam and use a screw driver to remove the 3 sprayer mounting screws. Factory puts the sprayer on before installing the tank. I tried off-set screwdrivers and ratchet extention screw tips that are very awkward. Good lunck. You can find the sparyer at Walmart.com, order part Camco RV Rotary Tank Rinser #41026 about $21 + tax and shipping. Far less expensive then RV centers.
Wheelhouse is offline   Reply With Quote