Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2007, 12:43 PM   #61
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Greg-
The instructions that come with the Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags are very through and takes a little studying before leaping into the project. Best I remember it did said it was not necessary to jack up the vehicle. I'm not sure how easy it would be to install them without removing the wheels, therefore necessary to jack up the vehicle. The secret to easy, not going to say quick, installation is the proper tools. Not knowing what we were doing, it took me and another person about three hours from start to finish.

As far as the lines....I ran separate lines to each bag from the back of the truck. Conveniently there were two holes under the tail gate in the sheet metal that the lines fit into nicely and was able to secure them from the back side with lock nuts.

I see that your truck is an earlier model than mine but looking at the website the #2330 bags will fit your truck also. This a link for vehicle applications,

http://www.fsip.com/riderite/applica...ch/ford.shtml#

This is a link to the instructions for the #2330 air bags

http://www.fsip.com/pdfs/RR/installa...0/rrin2330.pdf

Hope this helps...

Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 12:46 PM   #62
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by GregN

Of those that have put the bags on your trucks, for the do it yourselfer, about how long did it take you, and where did you run the fill line to, those without the compressor?
Greg,
I had the job done by Camping World three years ago. They run the lines through the frame where you can get access to the valve on each one readily. Did a good installation. I just use my little portable 12 volt compressor to refill when needed. I use as high as 50 psi in each one. Others use less air.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 01:08 PM   #63
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Jan,
Thanks for the report! Just confirms my previous decision to go with the air bags if I do anything. Maybe I also need to find a different CW to have them installed. lol! Thanks again!!!
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 01:13 PM   #64
Connorsmom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6592
Although I have the onboard compressor, Don my tech did show me where he ran the line so I could manually fill the bags if the compressor were to break down. That way, I can utilize the bags until I can get it to a facility to fix it.

Also, to whoever said it took them 3 hours to install because they didn't know what they were doing....well, I certainly hope that Don knew what he was doing, and it took him 3 hours...LOL I will say that I would look out there from time to time, and they had my truck way up on the hoist, then down, then way up, then down. So, I would think it would be much easier if it were raised when running those lines and hoses underneath. I read in one of the catalogs, or someone told me, that if not getting the compressor or gauge, running the air lines to each side of the license plate is a good place.

Jan
Connorsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 01:29 PM   #65
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Orv,
It took me 3 hours and 10 min to install my airbags, mostly becasue I did it without jacking the truck up and removing the tires. If you do it like they say, You could probably do it in 2 1/2 or so.
It was an easy install!
Rick
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 03:32 PM   #66
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Rick is right, the install is fairly easy and shouldn't take more than 3 hrs or so. I can do one in an hour if I don't get interrupted, but I have done several, and I have the equipment to make the job faster, ( lifts, air tools, torch, welder, etc. ).
I usually put both shrader valves on the left side of the license plate, one above the other, with the top going to the left bag and the bottom going to the right bag.
I haven't installed any with the on board compressor, but I wouldn't think it should take more than 2 extra hours.

On Edit - Dave, IMHO you will be extremely satisfied with the air bags. I don't know anything about the roller spring the CW dude was telling you about, but I do know I have not installed one set of air bags and had a customer complain about them.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 03:57 PM   #67
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Lonnie,
That is great news! I am really starting to question why the CW fella was so against the air bags?? He said he had all the parts in stock to install either the bags and on board compressor or the Super Springs. I just had to decide what I wanted as he could have done it that day. I am also puzzled as to why he really pushed the SS's when they were cheaper than the bags and compressor?? I need to decide on a few other things first. Once those are decided on the need for the airbags may or may not be there. Thanks again...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 03:10 AM   #68
GregN
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6790
I sit possible to install a T so you can fill both bags at the same time, or is better to fill them one at a time?
Old 03-09-2007, 04:27 AM   #69
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by GregN

I sit possible to install a T so you can fill both bags at the same time, or is better to fill them one at a time?
Personally, and it's only a personal preference, I would want to fill them one at a time. On my TrailerSaver hitch, I have one fill input but that works great because there is only a short line between the two bags. On my chassis air bags, a line would have to be run clear across the chassis (under the box) from one bag to the other. Just another place for something to go wrong.

Orv
Old 03-09-2007, 05:18 AM   #70
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Yes, it's possible to install a T to inflate both bags at the same time from one shrader valve, but I'm with Orv on this. The biggest reason being, if one bag acquires a leak, or broken line, both bags go flat. If this were to occure while loaded, both bags stand a very great chance of being ruined. If they are seperate, only one would be at risk.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 11:51 AM   #71
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Those are valid points but another view is that a tee allow both bags to be aired equally. I think you can get dual controls incab although mine is single. So mine obviously airs both at the same time.

I don't know how it works but would surmise if one bag sprung a leak, the other bag would also deflate. Unless there is a one-way valve in there somewhere. I don't think there is because I can deflate as well as inflate from the incab control. Thus I don't think there is a one way valve.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 12:18 PM   #72
Connorsmom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6592
You do have a choice on the in cab control. Mine, like Steves. is a single line that fills both bags equally, and also deflates equally at the push of a button. You can get dual lines that will fill and deflate each bag separately. again, from in the cab. But of course this costs more moolah.

Jan

A side note...I was driving through the apartment complex today, and I do notice a difference when I have to go over the speed bumps. Even though I crawled over them, it felt like the rear axle was jumping over the bump as opposed to sliding over it. Definite difference there.

Jan
Old 03-17-2007, 06:14 AM   #73
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Jan, that's the reason I let ALL the air out of the bags when deflating them. That eliminates that problem. I know the manual says keep 5 psi in the bags so they are not damaged should the suspension be bottomed out. With the heavy suspension on this F250 and the light weight on that suspension when solo I see absolutely no way I'll ever bottom the suspension when unloaded.

Two and a half years on the airbags on this truck and they still perform perfectly.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 12:08 PM   #74
Connorsmom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6592
I'll have to give that a try Steve. These darned speed bumps are definitely not gonna be missed when I start fulltiming in 75 days...:-)

Jan
Old 03-17-2007, 01:41 PM   #75
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
I find a lot of the campgrounds out West have speed bumps and some have speed dips. Don't think you'll every get away from them.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 04:25 PM   #76
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
JAN,
Noticed the same thing on my airbags, (bouncing rear end). I did what Steve sugggested and removed all the air, problem soled, no bounce. When I hookup the Monty I'll just inflate to suggested level and be a happy camper[
Congrats on going full time in 75 days. My neighbor here in the park has 70 some odd days to retirement and their new 3400 just came in today. Hopefully ours will be in next week.
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 03:49 PM   #77
berridge
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6415
I installed Firestone air bags on my 2004 F250 2WD last week. I purchased them from truckspring.com for $280. I had never done this before but the job went quite well. However the lower brackets required some modification to lower them as when installed as supplied there is not enough space between the upper and lower brackets. A local fabrication shop did the mods for $15. It appears that there is less space between the frame and axle with the 2WD. Also the kit supplied for this year and model of truck installs on the inside of the frame making it harder to work. The truckspring web site shows the installation. I was surprised that the Firestone kit lacked adequate adjustment to suit the 2WD suspension. You will need a 1/2 inch deep socket set but no drilling is required. About 50 psi seems to level my 3075 Monty. I use a small 12V pump to inflate them with no problem.
berridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 06:44 AM   #78
montanaman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5414
I have Firestone and glad to have them - the airbags do make a difference. They work great, but you do want to release the air when you are not towing. If the air is left in them the truck seems to ride rougher.
montanaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 07:55 AM   #79
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I've mentioned this before but will again, probably much to the chagrin of some. I do not let the air out my airbags. My truck rides like a truck. That's what I bought it for. We have to be good to go almost all the time. It seems to me like a waste of time to be inflating and deflating all the time, though I know many do it. To each his own.

Orv
Old 03-26-2007, 11:00 AM   #80
Connorsmom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6592
Well, picked the Monty up from the dealership today, then just drove it on up to the campground where I stay in the summer. The airbags are really great!! I don't know how to describe the feeling, except to say that it feels like I'm floating. It doesn't do tha "chucking" thing nearly as much, and I don't get as much "popping" when stopping and taking off like I was. I also adjusted the trailer brake, and man it was really nice. I now understand what people mean when they say they can forget it's even back there. These airbags were definitely a good investment...:-)

Jan