Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Boon-docking
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2020, 03:34 PM   #1
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Portable Heaters

We have a trip planned for early September, 2020, inside the Rocky Mountain National Park which is at an altitude of over 8000 feet. I have been considering a portable propane heater to supplement the furnace (to save battery) but note that there are alerts about them not working above certain altitudes. For example the Mr. Buddy or Big Buddy. Do any of you have experience using such heaters at high altitudes? I will appreciate your comments. I know we will need heat and wish to conserve the batteries as much as possible

padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 03:55 PM   #2
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I’ve stayed in RMNP in September. Never used a heater. The nights will be chilly and the days warm. We cut on the stove eyes a few minutes if we need a little heat. If you have ever been there it will take you breath away. The road through the park is over 12,000 feet and most people will be huffing and puffing.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 04:31 PM   #3
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
You are E TX. Unless you spend time at higher elevations you might be a little, or a lot, uncomfortable. 8k isn't that high but in September, in RMP, the weather can change quickly. We had a mountain home at 9k ft. In July it would be low 70s and cool to upper 40s to 50s. Seemed nice to us buy my mother's teeth would chatter she would be so cold (from TX).

Been thru RMNP a few times but not stayed in it...went down the other side to Grand Lake. On one of the trips thru, in summer, they were wearing parkas.

IMO I wouldn't run open propane heaters in my RV. Get some blankets and long johns.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 04:37 PM   #4
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
I removed the original heater from our toyhauler and put in a Camco Olympian propane heater. It uses no electrical power and is silent. They are rated for up to 12000 feet elevation. It is steady heat so you don't have the temp in the trailer constantly going up and down.
Old 07-29-2020, 05:47 PM   #5
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
No propane heaters for us no matter what! Have been in a building that had propane heaters running and it is to easy to not realize there are fumes and a build up of the wrong gasses for you to be breathing. I'd use a generator when needed to supplement the electricity and use one or two small electric heaters when possible and dress accordingly. Have some friends out in Colorado presently and they said it got down to 41* the other night and it felt like the low 30's and that is in July so be prepared to be a little chilly in your stay in September.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 07:29 PM   #6
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
fireplace works well in the 50s

we try to avoid the furnace...too loud. we have a raditor type electric heater and a ceramic heater... I hat noise at night.
of course if you aren't plugged in then that is a different story.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 12:25 AM   #7
h2ojocky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13025
I used my Mr Buddy around 8000 feet with no problem. I am very happy with the performance. It is recommended to not use while sleeping and to keep a window cracked open to allow oxygen in. I hooked mine up to the 30# tanks. If you have hook ups I would use a ceramic heater.
h2ojocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 02:45 PM   #8
KirkFess
Established Member

M.O.C. #19092
Spent 11 days in September 2019 parked at 9300 feet in Colorado with no hookups. Used the gas heat at night, ran a 3500 watt Generator for about 2 hours each day to recharge my batteries (two 12v battleborn Lithium). Used less than 5 gallons of gas to run the generator. Burned through 2 propane tanks. Avoid the fumes from the portable propane heater. One note. You will need to put a high altitude carb jet in the generator to operate that high.
KirkFess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:48 AM   #9
chandy
Established Member

M.O.C. #19813
Thumbs down portable heater

You did not state where you were going to locate the propane heater.
DO NOT locate any open flame device on side the trailer, you have a HIGH probability of being over come by carbon monoxide. Have you will up to date.
Chandy
chandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 05:01 AM   #10
Desert Rat
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24985
We have used a Wave 8 propane heater for 8+ years and had no problems, don't let the fear mongers worry you, and the do make Carbon Monoxide detectors.
Old 11-04-2020, 09:39 PM   #11
McRod
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18363
Quote:
Originally Posted by padredw View Post
We have a trip planned for early September, 2020, inside the Rocky Mountain National Park which is at an altitude of over 8000 feet. I have been considering a portable propane heater to supplement the furnace (to save battery) but note that there are alerts about them not working above certain altitudes. For example the Mr. Buddy or Big Buddy. Do any of you have experience using such heaters at high altitudes? I will appreciate your comments. I know we will need heat and wish to conserve the batteries as much as possible
Yes. The buddy heater works over 9k elevation. I camp at that altitude every summer. Rarely use my buddy heater, but when I do, it works.
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 02:34 PM   #12
artfuldodger
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10933
We have used a propane heater for several months rving with no problems at all. I started the generator in the RV to test the CO detector and it went off almost immediately so I know the heater is safe to use. It is soundless and non electrical. It heats the RV well and uses far less propane than the furnace. I wouldn't be without it. Whether it works at high altitudes I do not know. If CO is present you will experience a headache and sleepiness and I haven' t had either symptom while using my heater.
artfuldodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 10:54 AM   #13
John R

M.O.C. #26477
Used the little buddy for years never a problem - we turn it off before we sleep because it gets too warm but never a problem
John R is offline   Reply With Quote