Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2021, 11:23 AM   #1
declarehisglory

M.O.C. #26640
Lightbulb Refrigerator Power Loss

Hello,
I have a puzzling question on my 2020 3781RL electrical system. When plugged into Shore power the refrigerator works, but when shore power is removed it goes off. I thought it was the inverter so I checked the output power of the inverter both with and without shore power and it remained steady at 121 volts. I checked the breakers on the inside and everything looks good. Is there a fuse or system that switches my Fridge from Shore over to Inverter when I loose power. The numbers on the inverter are showing 13.2 and 0.0. I can't find anything on Keystone to provide direction.

declarehisglory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 11:32 AM   #2
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835

It could be your "transfer switch". The transfer switch detects when power is coming from shore power or not. If it senses no shore power, it will flip over to the 120 AC volt coming from the inverter.

When you plug back into shore power, the transfer switch will flip again, back to 120 v power, from "shore power" and close off power coming from the inverter.

It's possible this switch is failing.

You need to check power the power output at the inverter itself (where the transfer switch is plugged into it), and then check the power at the plug (where the refrigerator is).
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 12:07 PM   #3
declarehisglory

M.O.C. #26640
Refrigerator Power Loss

Thank you DutchmenSport. Do you know where I might look for this switch in my Montana? Is it in the front battery area?
Old 08-02-2021, 12:33 PM   #4
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I doubt you have a Transfer Switch problem as the refer works fine with shore power. The problem occurs when shore power is removed. That implies the inverter is not sensing the loss of power and shifting to to battery power. I believe the refer is always plugged into the inverter. The inverter is the one that decides what power source to use. Obviously shore power is the preferred source. Lacking that, 12V is inverted to to 120V to power the outlet.

Take a hard look at the power source and output of the inverter.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 12:40 PM   #5
declarehisglory

M.O.C. #26640
So, I followed the plug from the inverter and it leads to the transfer switch.
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2021, 12:54 PM   #6
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Double check the power coming from inverter by plugging in a blow dryer, or a light or something. If "it" powers up, then run an extension cord from the inverter to the refrigerator and plug the refrigerator directly into the inverter this way, by-passing the transfer switch, and everything. If the refrigerator operates with the extension cord connected directly to the inverter, then there is a problem somewhere between the transfer switch and the outlet for the refrigerator.

On the other hand, if the refrigerator will not operate directly off the inverter, then there's an issue going on with the refrigerator. It's an easy test to try before tearing things apart.

Good luck. Hope you can figure it out.
Old 08-02-2021, 01:52 PM   #7
declarehisglory

M.O.C. #26640
Thank you for your quick reply. 😁
Old 08-03-2021, 11:43 AM   #8
77cruiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26015
GFCI tripped on the inverter?
77cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 05:24 PM   #9
declarehisglory

M.O.C. #26640
Refrigerator Power Loss

Nope, I followed DutchmenSport's advice and checked the inverter by plugging a trouble light into it, the light works. Then I found a small reset button on the fuse panel, the light was flashing green, so by this point it was either bad Transfer Switch as suggested or this reset button. What the heck, pushing the button seemed easier and less expensive than a transfer switch and by this time I was so frustrated it couldn't hurt. So I pushed and held the button for about 5 seconds, and released it. The light went out, came back on, blinked a couple of times and wala, power back through the inverter was restored. I looked in my Keystone Owners' Manual and could not find anything about the breaker panel or this small reset button back in a small hole. Thanks to both of you for helping me trouble shoot the issue, have a great week...
Old 08-03-2021, 05:33 PM   #10
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Happy endings are great! I'm glad you were able to figure it out.
Old 01-10-2024, 11:55 PM   #11
DaSilva

M.O.C. #33816
I have a similar problem, power went out and the refrigerator started working, then power came back on and now the refrigerator doesn't work. What do you think? Its a 2022 Montana Fifth wheel.
DaSilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 06:01 AM   #12
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSilva View Post
I have a similar problem, power went out and the refrigerator started working, then power came back on and now the refrigerator doesn't work. What do you think? Its a 2022 Montana Fifth wheel.
Try cycling the DC input power Off and back On. This works for the Magnum Dimensions inverters.
Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote