Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2021, 05:05 PM   #21
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Manny,

Sam is a great resource. Sometimes you need to e a little flexible.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 01:15 PM   #22
Chef
Established Member

M.O.C. #24970
I don’t have the same system but I did have an issue with my large kitchen slide. My local dealer did not have the equipment to handle the complete removal of the slide. Keystone was great in finding a repair shop that could handle the work. In fact they were not a Montana dealer, they were a Grand Design dealer. When it came time for the repair Keystone wanted to go the cheap-fix route. They kept claiming it was an “industry standard” to fix it the way they wanted. I kept pressing. After many emails and a couple of phone calls they obliged and fixed it as it should have been fixed. I kept telling them that when I bought the RV it had this feature, and it needs to be repaired back to its original state. Keep after them. You paid a lot of money for the rig and it should be fixed accordingly.

Brent & Jan
2020 Monty 3700LK aka College Tuition
2019 F-350 Lariat Platinum Dually 6.7 diesel
Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 02:44 PM   #23
RetiredandRollin
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27367
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Traveler View Post
Manny,

Sam is a great resource. Sometimes you need to e a little flexible.
Good Afternoon Zack,
I can not argue with your assessment of Sam, as a matter of fact, until he got involved the only response I was getting from Keystone was basically, "It is what it is". Having said that, I couldn't agree more with your statement on being a little flexible. Honestly, I believe I was and reasonable as well; I was simply asking for something that I paid for and well under warranty (only 5 months), but I digress. As mentioned in previous post, they are sending me THEIR VERSION OF AN ACTUAL REPLACEMENT REMOTE DISPLAY, once its installed I will give you guys an update.
RetiredandRollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 02:49 PM   #24
RetiredandRollin
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef View Post
I don’t have the same system but I did have an issue with my large kitchen slide. My local dealer did not have the equipment to handle the complete removal of the slide. Keystone was great in finding a repair shop that could handle the work. In fact they were not a Montana dealer, they were a Grand Design dealer. When it came time for the repair Keystone wanted to go the cheap-fix route. They kept claiming it was an “industry standard” to fix it the way they wanted. I kept pressing. After many emails and a couple of phone calls they obliged and fixed it as it should have been fixed. I kept telling them that when I bought the RV it had this feature, and it needs to be repaired back to its original state. Keep after them. You paid a lot of money for the rig and it should be fixed accordingly.
I don't believe your mentality and request were unreasonable; I agree that a repair should be made to bring the item being repaired up to par; the same or better never worst. More so if it's a warranty repair; just my opinion. Thanks for your advice.

When the new item arrives and gets installed I will post a final.

Safe travels to all.
Old 07-11-2021, 09:36 AM   #25
SLB
Established Member

M.O.C. #27261
Has it been installed? Ready to contact Montana Customer Service with the same issue. Hope Montana CS monitors this site and treats all warranty customers the same and replaces a unit equal to or better than the Progressive Dynamics transfer switch with interior monitor that came with my 2021 3121RL Legacy
SLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 10:03 AM   #26
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredandRollin View Post
Following up....

First things first, the price difference on what they are currently installing to what they should be installing to make it an apples to apples replacement is about $420 bucks.

Bottom line is, what they are replacing it with get's you up and running, however your remote display is no longer good. My argument is if this were to have happened to us 2 years after purchase than I really wouldn't have a leg to stand on. It's only been 5 months and apparently the only leg I had was just kicked out from under me.

I just got off the phone with customer service and I was told, and I quote, "As far as we're concerned this issue is closed, that's the part we're installing and we're done here". The funny part, actually it wasn't funny at all, I asked to speak to a supervisor and they said "NO". Not kidding, straight up no, they even refused to give me the name of the supervisor.

The good news is that I'm kinda new to the Montana family and definitely new to this forum so it was endearing to actually have some folks to vent with. Thank you.

If anyone has had similar problems with Keystone and had a different approach, do share, I'm all ears.
That kind of attitude is why I haven't owned a GM product since 1996 and never will again.
R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 01:13 PM   #27
RetiredandRollin
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27367
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Has it been installed? Ready to contact Montana Customer Service with the same issue. Hope Montana CS monitors this site and treats all warranty customers the same and replaces a unit equal to or better than the Progressive Dynamics transfer switch with interior monitor that came with my 2021 3121RL Legacy
So I’m not sure which system you have, although if it’s a 2021 legacy, it should be the same. The ATS that was OEM came with a 3 light indicator in the cabinet that displayed shore, generator, error. Having said that, my expectation was that they would have a replacement part similar or better. The final result is a 1 light remote indicator that plugs into the reverse polarity plug in the new Southwire ATS that basically turns on or off dependent on if the unit is functional or not. It’s kind of silly because if it’s not working, I don’t need a light to tell me so; IT SIMPLY WON’T WORK.

My humble opinion is that Keystone didn’t think this through to its entirety with the best interest of the consumer in mind. They just took a shot in the dark in hopes that the issue wouldn’t come up, with anyone, until the warranty period has elapsed. I wasn’t that lucky, and honestly speaking am still not 100% satisfied with the end result, but I can live with it. Exactly what they hoped would happen. lol!

Hope this helps and I wish you luck.
Old 07-11-2021, 01:25 PM   #28
hemiallen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28242
Thanks for the update Manny

Hoping to see what panel they send you. I have had my single light display an error once now, and got that worked out. I too would like any form of digital display giving actual voltage readings .

My rig came upgraded with the Victron smart shunt, but as many have reported on the net, getting it and the victron solar charge controller to sync with my iphone. Great upgrades, if I can get them to display, lol. Not a Keystone issue, and happy they have upgraded components. I am thinking these may be 2022 upgrades.

Allen
Old 07-21-2021, 08:32 AM   #29
Josh_713
Established Member

M.O.C. #26352
Question for the pros!

So I’m on my second PD transfer switch. Was working fine until two days ago when all of a sudden the intermittent power disruption with the clicking noise. Ask me how happy I was!!

Anyway, we are mid trip so I decided to bypass the switch (no genny onboard) so that we could continue on. Everything was working fine after the bypass but this morning while running the coffee machine and toaster (as well as air conditioning), I started to smell burning electrical. Quickly shut everything down and then went to investigate at the switch. Found that the connector on the neutral (white) wire had melted the butt connector. Looking further I noticed that one of the ground wires (bare copper) had come loose from the grounding bar attached in transfer switch housing.

In my simple mind this was the culprit to the burning wire and there fire I cleaned up the wire and reattached with a new connector. Reattached the ground wire and tightened and double tightened (as I cursed myself). My question is… does this make sense as to what caused my issue??

Attached is a picture of my work. Does this look right?

Second guessing myself… can you tell?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A5EE95DF-C8EB-4611-AC8D-56C7ACC9970C.jpeg
Views:	70
Size:	265.1 KB
ID:	9762  
Josh_713 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
auto. transfer. switch