Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2021, 03:59 PM   #1
RBul31
Established Member

M.O.C. #26968
Wheel Bearings and Tire Wear

I have 2014 Montana 3155RL Duel Axles.
I recently took a 7,000 mile trip for the winter. While at the last stop before heading home I noticed that the inside of the Front Axle tires were wearing on the inside. I had planned to get the Axles realigned but was told that I didn't need to do that. They told me that Changing out the Wheel Bearings and doing a complete service on the wheels would cure the Tire wear.
Has anyone ever heard of this? Tires cost a good Penny so I want to do what I can to maintain them. The last thing I want is to wear them out and have a Blow-out on the road.
Thanks for any help you can provide.

RBul31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 04:16 PM   #2
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
It seems possible if the outer bearings are bad it would put more pressure on inside of tires. But ... sounds more like an alignment. Any idea where the last bearing maintenance was done? Have you checked all the spring mounting points? Do you have wetbolts?
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 05:21 PM   #3
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
It is more likely that it is an alignment issue. If it's the bearings you have an immediate safety concern. Jack the trailer and try to wobble the wheel for a quick field test.
Old 05-30-2021, 05:25 PM   #4
RBul31
Established Member

M.O.C. #26968
Wheel Bearings and Tire Wear

I don't have any Idea when the Bearings were last changed. I bought it Used last fall. Took it to Tennessee and then the long trip to Texas and Arizona. The Leaf Springs were just changed between Tennessee and Texas. (One Broke so I changed them all) It does have wet bolts and they were greased when they changed the springs in October.
I am kind of leaning you way...Align the Axles, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to change out the bearings then get the alignment. Axles should be like new then. :-)
RBul31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 05:26 PM   #5
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Yup classic signs of lost axle camber. Jacking up the RV and wiggling the wheels will tell if you have loose bearings (not a common problem).

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 06:24 PM   #6
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Bearing should have no affect on tire wear unless they are extremely loose. If they were that loose you would certainly notice it.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 06:41 AM   #7
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
Bearing should have no affect on tire wear unless they are extremely loose. If they were that loose you would certainly notice it.
Lynwood
This, and possible that axle is carrying too much weight, or you have a bent spindle(s).
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote