Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2023, 09:10 PM   #1
Allie G
Established Member

M.O.C. #33651
Angry It must be us…right?

We bought our 2023 High Country 377FL this past August. In October we started living in it full time. We have done a couple of weekend trips since we have lived in it. This past week we went six hours away for a five day trip. Our issues in the past five days:
- The slide out for our master bedroom does not work. We had a mobile tech come out and tried everything for two hours just to be told we need to have it manually pushed out and the H column looked at.
- Our heat kicks off during the night so we wake up to 50 degrees inside.
- Our sewage discharge valve is so tight I am sure it will pull out in my hand.

We just came back tonight. We got home and hooked everything up.
- The refrigerator, and every other Solar inverted outlet on the RV does not work. - The plug the television is plugged in to does not work.
- The little glass in front of the radio came out (thankfully didn’t break) by the screw

My husband gets mad because I just laugh. Why do I laugh? Because what is the point of getting upset or mad over something I cannot control.

Are we the only ones experiencing these issues? We don’t abuse our HC, my DH is meticulous with cleaning it. We do the maintenance that may be required and try to fix any issues that come up. It was brand new when we bought her.

Thank you in advance!

Allie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 12:35 AM   #2
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
It sounds to me like the slide issue is the one irritation. But, for the most part, it all just falls under the category of "It's new...things happen". Seems like there's always a (hopefully) short laundry list of items that shake out with use during the first year...well, and the years following as well if we're being honest.

You're still inside your 1 year warranty so fix what you can and start a list for the rest. Things like slides and furnaces will likely need attention before the 1 year mark but that's what the warranty is for. Contact your dealer and set up an appointment. Hopefully you bought from a good one.

No, it's not you. It happens to all of us.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 05:24 AM   #3
Allie G
Established Member

M.O.C. #33651
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
It sounds to me like the slide issue is the one irritation. But, for the most part, it all just falls under the category of "It's new...things happen". Seems like there's always a (hopefully) short laundry list of items that shake out with use during the first year...well, and the years following as well if we're being honest.

You're still inside your 1 year warranty so fix what you can and start a list for the rest. Things like slides and furnaces will likely need attention before the 1 year mark but that's what the warranty is for. Contact your dealer and set up an appointment. Hopefully you bought from a good one.

No, it's not you. It happens to all of us.
Thank you so much!! Our dealer is good. I figured with a unit that moves like an RV things are going to break.
Old 11-27-2023, 08:36 AM   #4
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
As stated, there is always a laundry list of minor repairs with a new unit. The slide is a common problem, so is the inverter. To power on the inverter open the battery compartment and look for a red battery disconnect knob for the inverter. Make sure it's on. If it is on, turn it off and on again. 90% of the time this will solve that issue.

The heater and slide will need some troubleshooting. But all is repairable.
Old 11-27-2023, 08:55 AM   #5
Allie G
Established Member

M.O.C. #33651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foldbak View Post
As stated, there is always a laundry list of minor repairs with a new unit. The slide is a common problem, so is the inverter. To power on the inverter open the battery compartment and look for a red battery disconnect knob for the inverter. Make sure it's on. If it is on, turn it off and on again. 90% of the time this will solve that issue.

The heater and slide will need some troubleshooting. But all is repairable.
Thank you! I was flipping the knob last night with no luck. But our other outlets are working so what’s an extension cord to keep our fridge going?
Old 11-27-2023, 09:20 AM   #6
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I think you have the right attitude. It doesn’t do any good to get upset. That doesn’t fix one thing. All getting max will do is raise your blood pressure and the problems will still be there when you get over it.
Good luck getting the problems fixed.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 11:28 AM   #7
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Sounds like a typical new RV purchase to me. It took us a year with our 375FL to get the major bugs worked out. During that first year of ownership, I felt like I was rebuilding the entire camper from end-to-end. The second year of ownership, not a single thing went wrong for an entire year. Then the third year of ownership, I started making boo-boo's myself. Fourth and Fifth year of owner ship, things started needing attention again, but I sure it's just normal wear and tear, and use. We do use our camper full time, at home and traveling.

Along the way, we made a lot of changes and fixes to make things better and nicer.

The "big" items was adding an awning with lights on the back side of the camper over that rear door on the opposite side. Another "big" item was adding the washing machine and dryer. I had to reinforce that cabinet the unit sat in so it would not collapse under the weight and crush the water heater.

The rear closet collapsed. I had to rebuild the entire closet, shelf, and strengthen the rod that holds the clothes.

The front door needed replaced, it didn't shut right and had a 1/4 inch gap. The bedroom door frame broke off the wall and collapsed. And a brake had to be replaced (hub and all) because a spring inside came loose and absolutely demolished the inside of the brake drum, other springs, and parts.

Screws broke out on the fender skirts, the J-wrap (that cover that goes from the side of the camper to the under side of the camper, all the screws broke out of that aluminum. I replaced the screws and used 3 inch washers to hold it all together, since the aluminum was all ripped out.

The J-wrap on the slide out (bedroom) flopped when it was windy. I ended up adding supports to keep it from flooping.

And .... this was the first year of ownership!

Let's not get started on the boo-boos I did myself!

Over the course of the last 13 months, I've had replaced 2 axles, 1 tire (because it was skidded and uneven wear because of a bent axle), 2 new batteries, and my Samsung Residential Refrigerator quit working right. In addition, I had to re-attach the front cap LED lights, had the front awning replaced (it had pin-holes in it and a small tear I've been nursing for the last 3 years), and I removed the horrid carpet in the kitchen slide out and replaced with a laminate flooring. .... all of THAT was just this year.

Bottom line is .... you can expect many more things to need attention in your present and in your future. It's very, very, very important that you get things fixed immediately when they unearth themselves. If you don't, the repairs get deeper and deeper, more and more, and then begin to cause a domino effect until your entire camper is trashed out. You don't want that.

It does take constant vigilance. When you are not camping, your are fixing something, or replacing something, or modifying something. It's a never ending process. BUT ... if you want your camper to stay nice, in good shape, and working correct, safe and dependable, then you take care of it and never let, even the simplest thing, slide by.

The trade off is priceless though. In spite of all constant vigilant attention they need, they STILL provide mammoth amounts of satisfaction and an addiction that just can't be explained, until you've experienced it yourself.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 12:00 PM   #8
seasure1
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #32095
As we come up on 11 months of ownership, not using it full time. The passenger slide would not retract and left us stranded in Virginia. I was lucky to find a mobile mechanic and the actuator was in stock at the local Camping World by mistake.

Submitted a claim to Keystone.

Camping World agreed to look at it but try driving down the highway with a slide fully extended.

Keystone only paid half of the claim. The part was $400 they paid $200 and I was told that they made and exception an paid for the mobile mechanic's travel time.

$850 bill Keystone paid $400

The Electric side of the hot water heater stopped working, made an appointment with Camping World and after two months and one Service Advisor being fired they are finally working on it.
The Connex TV what a POS the sound stopped working thru the home theater, I called them directly they said I had to submit a claim through the dealer.

Also in case you are wondering all your cabinets are only warranteed for 3 months not 12 months.

The sales manager told us at the time of purchase, when you buy from us you can expect superior service.

What a bunch of sh*t
Slide toppers
seasure1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 12:11 PM   #9
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allie G View Post
Thank you! I was flipping the knob last night with no luck. But our other outlets are working so what’s an extension cord to keep our fridge going?
Do you have a remote switch? If so what does it look like? Oh and what kind of inverter is it? Dimensions or Zantrex?
Even plugged into shore power the inverter must be on for those outlets to be hot. If you have an inverted outlet in the basement it should be a GFI. Check to see if it's tripped. Press the test button and then the reset button.
according to the diagram there's a fuse at the batteries and breaker feeding the inverter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wiring edited.jpeg
Views:	13
Size:	306.7 KB
ID:	16015  
Old 11-27-2023, 02:22 PM   #10
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
There is a Schwintek slide TSB in the files section

https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...hp?do=cat&id=3

It may not apply if your bedroom slide is not Schwintek.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote