Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2021, 02:57 PM   #21
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
PS: I can't count how many times I have filled tanks and the guy never looked at the date.

scottz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 03:05 PM   #22
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Wow - what a story.

Note to self: do not - under any circumstances - run out of propane near Reston, VA.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 03:50 PM   #23
jjwhite368
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #27830
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottkeen View Post
Well, I started this thread because I knew I was going to run into problems here in the Northern VA DC metro area with getting these 30 lb propane tanks re-filled or re-certified or even disposed.

Maybe this info will save someone else in the area some headaches and run-around.

1. I called AirGas in Manassas, VA. They said they do not fill 30 lb propane tanks.

2. I called Valley Energy in Purcellville, VA. They said they do not fill 30 lb propane tanks, only 20 lb barbecue tanks. They said to call "Camper World".

3. I called Camping World in Manassas, VA. They said they do not fill any propane tanks, and I should call "Trailer Tractor Supply" across the street.

4. I called Southern States in Purcellville, VA. They said they do fill 30 lb propane tanks, but do not fill expired tanks and do not re-certify tanks. They said to call Leesburg Petroleum.

5. I called Leesburg Petroleum in Leesburg, VA which turned out to be Southern States in Leesburg, VA. They said they don't deal with small propane tanks, only large ones. They said to "try Google".

6. I called Tractor Supply Co in Manassas, VA as suggested by Camping World. I first had to look on a map, because there was no Trailer Tractor Supply across the street, just Tractor Supply Co. They said they would fill the 30 lb propane tanks but they don't re-certify. They said the propane tanks can be refilled for up to 12 years after manufacture date. I said the stamp on my tank says 10 years. He said then to bring them in and they'll check with the manager. I know how that's going to go.

7. I called Fairfax Propane in Fairfax, VA. They said they would fill the 30 lb propane tanks, just bring them in. I asked about the re-certify and my tanks are stamped "09-10". He said that's fine, they're under 12 years old. I said my tank is stamped with "must re-certify 10 years". He said "Look, when Fairfax County wants to know the propane laws, they call us. I'm telling you it's 12 years. And down the road, we can re-certify them." So I said I'll bring the tanks over in about a week. He said make sure you put in the GPS for the Harley Davidson next door, because the GPS coordinates for their store are wrong and it will lead me to somewhere in Merrifield, VA instead.

I did not try AmeriGas because the closest one is in Warrenton, VA which is about 20 gallons of diesel away round-trip.

The other places also said they would not take disposal of my propane tanks and the Fairfax County and Loudon County landfill websites say they won't take propane tanks over 20 lbs. Just getting rid of these is going to a problem, however I think Fairfax Propane will probably dispose of them. They seem like the only place that knows what they are doing around here.

So, I hope this helps someone else in my situation in Northern VA. I knew this was going to happen, I knew it was going to be a hassle, which is why I asked the question. Turns out I had to call 7 places in 4 cities to finally find one.
GET OUT OF NOVA! Come on down to the Shenandoah Valley, much more camper freindly! I have 4 places within 5 minutes that fill my tanks by weight or by the gallon.

EXPAT from Herndon and Ashburn
jjwhite368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 04:11 PM   #24
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Scott,

The day I moved out of Northern VA was a happy day.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 04:22 PM   #25
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Traveler View Post
Scott,

I've visited there when my son was stationed in the area. A visit was nice, but it was enough. I never experienced tolls like that!
Old 04-27-2021, 06:51 PM   #26
scottkeen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20894
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwhite368 View Post
GET OUT OF NOVA! Come on down to the Shenandoah Valley, much more camper freindly! I have 4 places within 5 minutes that fill my tanks by weight or by the gallon.

EXPAT from Herndon and Ashburn
I was at Endless Caverns campground this past weekend. The campers that helped me after I ran my rig into the tree were very nice. In NoVA they would just give me the middle finger for being in the way, and then lean into their horns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Traveler View Post
Scott,
Trust me, I know the feeling.
When I left NoVA and moved to Kona Hawaii in 2005, I was so happy.
When I left Kona Hawaii and moved back to NoVA in 2015, I was so sad.

I want to be happy again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz View Post
I've visited there when my son was stationed in the area. A visit was nice, but it was enough. I never experienced tolls like that!
The tolls are a financial reminder of how little in terms of joy you're getting in return for your money here.

If and when I move to Texas, I hope that the folks of Texas are friendly with their propane.
scottkeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 07:26 PM   #27
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
Our local scrap metal recycler would accept old propane tanks, but only if the valve was removed. The smell lingered in my yard, in my truck, and on me for about a week.
Old 04-27-2021, 08:37 PM   #28
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Moon View Post
The smell lingered in my yard, in my truck, and on me for about a week.
Oh yeah, nothing like mercaptan in the morning. I used to deal with tanks of it.
Old 04-27-2021, 08:55 PM   #29
bleedmichigan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23739
We bought an extra set two years ago as we were on a trip and had issues finding places that would refill our 30lb tanks. Tractor supply is great for refills but you have to be there when it’s light out. As for replace Vs exchange vs recertification when we visit the grandparents in the Midwest from Md there is a propane company that’s pretty big that does refills, recertification, etc. we took our expired 30lb tanks expecting to have them certified again and instead they just swapped them with full tanks that were good for another 8 years. If you hunt around outside of the metro area of the DMV you’ll find some places that will do exchanges and recertification.
bleedmichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 09:00 PM   #30
scottkeen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20894
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedmichigan View Post
If you hunt around outside of the metro area of the DMV you’ll find some places that will do exchanges and recertification.
After calling 7 places, Fairfax Propane said they will refill and recertify 30 lb tanks.
Old 04-27-2021, 11:31 PM   #31
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
I don't get it; why would they not fill 30# cylinders?
Old 04-28-2021, 06:13 AM   #32
scottkeen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20894
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz View Post
I don't get it; why would they not fill 30# cylinders?
I didn't ask if they fill propane tanks in general. I just asked, "Do you fill 30 lb propane tanks?" and they would just say "No".

Probably some of the places I called don't fill propane tanks; they only do tank exchanges.
Old 04-28-2021, 11:44 AM   #33
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I was stationed at Fort Belvoir, VA for 3 years when I was in the Army (1982-1988). Both my kids were born at DeWitt Army Medical Hospital. I lived in the on-post housing edition right next to the hospital and across the road from the main post chapel. (Peterson Loop).

It was an awesome 3 years living in Northern Virginia. Every opportunity we had, we went into DC, Manassas, Virginia Beach (Fort Story... remember that one?), Arlington, Quantico. We even made it to Fort Lee in Southern, Virginia a couple times, Blue Ridge Parkway, and in 3 years, we STILL could not see everything there was to see and do. There were many, many places we never made it to.

BUT! I never want to go back! Even back then, it was horrible living there. Expensive and crazy rules. Not to mention the insane traffic. After I was discharged, I stayed another year in Manassas, VA. And finally had enough. Packed up the little family and moved back to Indiana.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 12:14 PM   #34
scottkeen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20894
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
BUT! I never want to go back! Even back then, it was horrible living there. Expensive and crazy rules. Not to mention the insane traffic. After I was discharged, I stayed another year in Manassas, VA. And finally had enough. Packed up the little family and moved back to Indiana.
I have yet to hear anyone say they would love to live in the Northern VA / DC metro area.

I like hearing the confirmations from ex-pats of the DMV (DC-Maryland-Virginia) who are happy they moved away. As someone who did move away for 10 years (but unfortunately came back for work), I know what it's like.

This thread is turning into a motivational thread for me to move... which is FAR more important than filling these propane tanks!
Old 05-02-2021, 01:32 PM   #35
JamesD
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10843
I had to buy new 40# tanks because I couldn't a place close by that would re-certify mine. Since then I located a place off a propane site, but I haven't contacted them yet to see if they will really do it.
JamesD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 01:49 PM   #36
goodellj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20452
I had tanks that were approaching 10 years old and in CT I was told they would soon be too old to refill. But in some states they looked at the date and said no problem, it's 12 years here. So I assumed it was a state thing, and some states had shorter dates. I bought new tanks.

But then I camped at the JetStream RV Resort at NASA in March and they have an EXCHANGE for 30lb tanks, which I had never seen before. It was too late for me. but they said they have no problem taking expired tanks in exchange. Maybe you could find a propane dealer that exchanges 30lb tanks.
6.7L V-8 diesel, 6-sp automatic, 3.55 axle ratio
goodellj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 03:41 PM   #37
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
In the last week I was also told that tanks are no good for 12 years. I tried unsuccessfully to get clarification if this only applied to newer tanks and not to the ones specifically marked for recertification at 10 years. I do know that recertification is only good for 5 years, at which time recertification is required again. I decided to save myself the grief of being caught someplace with no propane and no place to buy a new tank at a reasonable price. I ordered two tanks from Costco.com.
Old 05-02-2021, 03:49 PM   #38
packnrat
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21805
just carry then in to any station. not a gas dealer. and just say the fuel is to pre heat some steel for welding. as welders are exempt for the re-cert deal.
most tanks will hold out great for a number of decades. as long as they do not get damaged.
packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 04:42 PM   #39
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottkeen View Post
I have yet to hear anyone say they would love to live in the Northern VA / DC metro area.

I like hearing the confirmations from ex-pats of the DMV (DC-Maryland-Virginia) who are happy they moved away. As someone who did move away for 10 years (but unfortunately came back for work), I know what it's like.

This thread is turning into a motivational thread for me to move... which is FAR more important than filling these propane tanks!
Scottkeen, Come on down!! You will love Texas. It gets pretty frickin hot, but thats what air conditioning is for. I’m in North Texas, the opposite of North VA. Most people are friendly and easy going. Seems like the state of California is moving here, and tons of people from the North. Got some cold beer and BBQ waiting on you!!
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 04:53 PM   #40
packnrat
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21805
the best thing about people moving out of ca is soon ca will lose a spot in congress and on the electoral collage election board..
packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote