Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2021, 06:27 PM   #1
farmerbk
Established Member

M.O.C. #28442
not sure what I am doing wrong....

Cyndee and I have our Montana and in the process of setting it up.
I have read through the 'necessary' tools to bring along...and I must be mis-reading or mis-understanding something.

a basic tool assortment (not my 3/4 or 1 inch drive stuff )....dewalt 18v tools, 1/4 and 3/8 sockets, pliers, hex and torx tools, etc. must weigh close to 300 pounds and in 4 soft sided bags.

I feel I am way overdoing this, but it is not that much in the way of tools....and does not include the hydraulic jack and tools for a tire change.

As the model Montana we have (3820FK) does not have that much storage anyway...what am I missing. there are limited opportunities to add storage that I see

Thanks for the insights
bryon

farmerbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 06:37 PM   #2
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Bryon,

The most important tool to bring is your credit card. You can always buy or borrow tools on the road. 300 lbs sounds a little heavy.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 06:51 PM   #3
farmerbk
Established Member

M.O.C. #28442
yes to the credit card

Plastic is necessary, easy, and may be oft turned to...I fully recognize that . (when Cyndee and I rode our motorcycle to Alaska I carried too much with us then too...)

And I agree that 300 pounds seems a bit excessive...but struggling with what to cut...bag of misc pliers (vice grips, channel locks, needle nose, etc) was 50 pounds...maybe I simply need to carry less than what i think...or install box in truck where the heavy tools will reside.

Seems the battery powered tools would be pretty important, want to add a dewalt battery leaf blower to the list....

Simply drop the tools bigger than 1/4 inch?
First time RVer, so trying to be prepared.

debating mounting air compressor and tank on truck....

open to any and all ideas. Thank you for taking time to reply
bryon
Old 04-19-2021, 06:58 PM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I carry a small tool chest with basic wrenches, pliers, two sizes crescents, and a few other things. Maybe weighs 35-40 lbs. No ratchets/sockets. Used to carry cordless drill, but stopped doing that. Just enough to do basic repairs, not completely overhaul something. I do carry a small pancake air compressor. And a bottle jack.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 07:27 PM   #5
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I carry a tool set I got at Lowes. About a foot sq and 2 inches thick. Pliers and combo screwdriver and a few other things along with a 4 ton bottle jack. If I should need something else I can always go to a store and purchase it.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 09:03 PM   #6
Creeker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23094
My tools stay in my truck tool box. The same low profile bed rail mount box I've owned for 15+ years. Been on multiple trucks and used with multiple 5ers. It easily carries everything I need and then some. I don't want the extra weight or taking up any space in camper basement.

Be forewarned of full size (high profile) boxes in short bed trucks! They will hit the underside of your 5er cap with the right conditions.
Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 09:12 PM   #7
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
What you carry in the way of tools, a lot depends on if you are full time or just an occasional weekend or a couple weeks long vacation, and also what your capabilities are. With a minimum of basic tools, a multimeter, a combination screwdriver with an assortment of bits, to include a #2 Robertson square drive bit, tools and jack to change a tire if you are capable, should get you started. As time goes on, you can delete and add tools, but always weigh what you will only need once in a blue moon or something that you can see using regularly. We full time, already carry a small compressor to air the tires, so carry a small stapler/nailer which I have used a lot, reattaching trim and other parts. Just be aware of weight and be willing to audit yourself to reduce tools that you aren’t using.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 09:48 PM   #8
Woodworker
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22922
I know I have at least 300lbs of tools in the basement, and just recently purchased and installed a Craftsman pancake air compressor. (BTW, it's very handy for multiple applications). I've been in the situation twice now where I needed a tool and didn't have it, and it delayed the repair and our departure. I'm pretty sure I can fix about anything if I have the tools. My dear wife thinks I'm a bit eccentric.
Woodworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 08:47 AM   #9
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I also carry four tool boxes, but we full time and part of those boxes hold spare parts.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 11:51 AM   #10
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I think it all depends on if you are a full timer with no stick and brick home to return to for occasional moments to regroup, fix, and plan the next adventure, and those who do have a base to return home to will determine how much you REALLY need.

I have found it necessary to carry only the tools that are actually needed on my camper, for the skill set I have. That means, I DO NOT carry tools for changing tires, because if I needed a tire changed on my camper, I couldn't do it anyway. I don't have the strength any more to break lug nuts loose, and I don't have jacks strong enough to lift the camper. Same with the truck. 6 tires and 8 lug nuts for each, is just too much for me. I have a good road-side assistance plan though.

About everything else. Considering everything is put together with Robertson (square headed) screws, I have a Robertson head screw driver, plyers, a philips and a flat screw driver. I have a really old hatchet (sharp as a sword) with a hammer head on the other end that doubles as a hatchet and a claw hammer.

I carry a small set of socket wrenches, a pair of tin-snips (which makes a great pair of scissors). and a dedicated socket and wrench to remove my anode rode on the water heater.

More than that, and the job will be too much for me anyway, especially on-the-road camping.

What you need to do is evaluate absolutely everything in your camper and find the tool for that specific item. Then carry ONLY those things. What good is carrying a 2 inch socket with a 1 inch breaker bar when there is nothing on your camper that even comes close to a 2 inch nut? Just because IT's a tool, does not mean you need to drag it along. Take only what you know you will reasonable use, and leave everything else behind. You can downsize everything to a small tool box.

Here's what you should carry. A socket and ratchet (and extension) to remove the anode rode in the water heater. (only that one, not the entire set). A Robertson screw driver (square head). Philips and flat screw driver. Some sort of hammer (for driving stakes in the ground or other things). Something to cut light items with, for wire, paper, cardboard, plastic. Meat scissors work very well here too.

More than this, in my opinion, is just not necessary. Carry some tape, rope, bungee cords, a spool of light weight wire, and maybe an adjustable wrench, ok, a smaller one and a larger one. They come in handy for fixing bicycle tire flats!

You may want to carry some additional items to make sure you have the tools to fix your bring along items, like a set of those really small screw drivers for eye glasses, or a specialty wrench or socket to remove the spark plug from your generator. In other words, carry only the tools that fit something on your camper, or something you are bring along. Anything bigger, "it" will probably have to go to the "shop" anyway.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 05:06 PM   #11
farmerbk
Established Member

M.O.C. #28442
Thanks to all

for taking time to reply!!
It is sincerely appreciated.

based upon the responses....I may need to downsize what I need for the camper, and specialize in some of those (thanks for the tip on the water heater)

Basic tool assortment will probably remain on the truck, and i can regroup from there

thanks again
bryon
Old 04-21-2021, 06:57 AM   #12
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
I only carry a few tools.
Hammer
Battery drill
Channel locks
1/2 drive ratchet and socket for lug nuts

I found a compact 3/8 drive socket set
I have a small drill bit set
Hacksaw
Calking gun
Large screwdriver for pry bar
Couple screw drivers regular and philips.

I can fit all my tools in one bag. If I need something I just buy it. That is where the calking gun came from.
Slow Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 07:56 AM   #13
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Like many others, I think it depends on what type of RVer you are and how long you stay out. Since we are full time without a sticknbrick I even have sawsall and several other power tools along with all the mechanical stuff. With a large tool box in the bed of my dually I can keep all my tools in there so storage in the fiver isn't an issue.
Old 04-22-2021, 10:36 AM   #14
WSKGunn
Established Member

M.O.C. #28474
Basic tool set

We travel with a "PITTSBURGH Tool Kit With Case' from harbor freight it has about everything i need . it is a cheaply made set of tools but gets me by in a pinch , it comes with a cheaply made hard case and is about 10lbs ,
WSKGunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 02:13 PM   #15
Bob and Jeannette
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22589
My solution is truck boxes and I bring my tools. If you have a long bed Dually this works well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CAF1E4B4-9754-4389-804F-897452F866F7.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	309.3 KB
ID:	8990  
Bob and Jeannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 02:22 PM   #16
Tracyb-oh

M.O.C. #25609
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSKGunn View Post
We travel with a "PITTSBURGH Tool Kit With Case' from harbor freight it has about everything i need . it is a cheaply made set of tools but gets me by in a pinch , it comes with a cheaply made hard case and is about 10lbs ,
This right here is what I have in the front storage bin. But honestly in 20 years of camping what I use the most? My hammer, 2 pairs of robo grip wrenches in two sizes, a Phillips screw driver, a flat head screwdriver, a pair of needle nose pliers and a roll of duck tape. That’s it.
Tracyb-oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 02:54 PM   #17
Sumri
Established Member

M.O.C. #24654
All space between the front of the truck bed and the 5th wheel on our F-350 dually is reserved for tools. My tool boxes stay on the dually full time. Whenever and wherever I need a tool or air compressor, cordless drill, cordless dremel, etc... It is on the dually.
Sumri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 03:11 PM   #18
Camp CA
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25828
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerbk View Post
.............I have read through the 'necessary' tools to bring along...and I must be mis-reading or mis-understanding something. a basic tool assortment (not my 3/4 or 1 inch drive stuff )....dewalt 18v tools, 1/4 and 3/8 sockets, pliers, hex and torx tools, etc. must weigh close to 300 pounds and in 4 soft sided bags........what am I missing.
I carry a complete tool kit with wreches and sockets, allen wrenches,etc., torque wrench channellock pliers, battery charger/jumper, Viair 40047 400P-RV portable air compressor, DOT approved safety triangles (probably missed a few toos) in my truck bed in a weathertight box so they do not take up space in the trailer. On the trailer I stow a small, portable battery-operated blower and handheld vacuum and retractable ladder. I have not felt a need to have a portable drill and other power tools. However, I used to carry an electric brad gun to re-install molding that fell down after each trip............but solved that by trading the trailer in for a newer model that is more solidly built.
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 03:55 PM   #19
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
Our trips range from a long weekend to 90 days in length. Apart from a Bosch power screwdriver, a 15" breaker bar and a bottle jack, all my hand tools fit into a military-style canvas bag. See the links: https://www.armynavyusa.com/Rothco-O...oaAhe-EALw_wcB and https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-PS31-2A...28556067&psc=1
Old 04-25-2021, 04:34 PM   #20
DavidG425
Established Member

M.O.C. #27789
I have a full set of Craftsman combination wrenches in a roll-up pouch,l. Standard and metric sockets on a carrying handle, 2 ratchets, a set of standard and metric Allen wrenches, all in a small plastic carrying box. An assortment of crescent wrenches, screwdrivers, pliers, and various other tools and gadgets in a 3 drawer tool box. The Dewalt 20v drill is in its bag with its batteries, an assortment of drill bits and nut drivers. All in all, it doesn't take up much room.
DavidG425 is offline   Reply With Quote