Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2021, 10:55 AM   #1
RamMike
Established Member

M.O.C. #28289
First Trip with new Montana HC 295RL

Hi everyone, We took our first trip with our new RV and had some issues with the hot water heater. Is there some type of detailed instructions how to light it for gas ops and also any additional info on electric use? The last question is do you drain the hot water heater before departing camp? Other than the hot water heater issue, was a great first trip!

RamMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 11:18 AM   #2
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
I had this happen to me when I forgot I turned off the main switch on the outside of the rig. The on/off switch for the water heater is hidden and can easily be missed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-3756.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	988.0 KB
ID:	9039  
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 11:46 AM   #3
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
To operate on gas, turn on the gas water heater switch on the inside control panel. Everything after that is automatic. It lights itself, heats the water to the proper temp, and then shuts itself off until it needs to heat the water again. This is all you have to do as long as the Gas side of the system is working.

For electric operation, there are two steps. The first is to turn on the rocker switch pointed out by 432bartman (above) . This is a "master" on/off switch for the electric side. You only need to do this one time. Once On, leave it On unless you are working on repairing the electrical side of the system. The second step is to turn On the electric water heater switch on the wall panel. Much like the gas side, the electrical side heats the water (using the electric heating element) until it reaches the proper temp, then shuts off waiting until the water cools when it then starts heating again. There is nothing for you to do once you turn on the switch.

Do not drain the water heater when you leave camp. The only time you need to drain it is when you winterize. Having an empty water heater tank is a disaster waiting to happen should someone turns on the electrical side. The heater element lasts about 2 seconds in that case and then you get to replace it.

Carl n Susan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 10:36 AM   #4
RamMike
Established Member

M.O.C. #28289
Thanks Bartman!
RamMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 12:13 PM   #5
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
If draining the water heater, make sure to flip the rocker arm switch on the outside of the heater. That way, IF the switch gets flipped inside the camper on the panel, the heater still will not come on. I drain my water heater when not in actual use. If using the camper every week-end, I won't drain it. I use to drain it on my previous travel trailers any time the trailer was on the road. But with my fifth wheel, it's so heavy anyway, an extra 80 pounds (10 gallons @ 8 pounds a gallon) doesn't impact the "feel" of the tow at all.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 12:46 PM   #6
nellie1289
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #28145
leave your hot water heater full for the season. As pointed above, turn the switch off when winterizing. Next spring, turn it back on ONLY after the tank is full. Or your first ice cold shower, whatever comes first lol.

2021 Montana 3854BR with 2014 Ram 3500 SRW Limited CC LB, 2021 Malibu 23 LSV, 2019 Can AM XRS turbo, 2017 Yamaha YXZ 1000R
nellie1289 is offline   Reply With Quote