Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2017, 07:15 PM   #21
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
So are the shackles supposed to be the same direction pointing up like in the second picture when you are on level ground? I have noticed mine in different positions from time to time, but never thought any thing of it. I will have to check tomorrow and see how they are right now? You say if you put blocks under the front leveling jacks, and jack it way up, it will fix this? Interesting??? Is there a reference diagram from Morryde that shows the position they are supposed to be in?

Old 09-20-2017, 07:34 PM   #22
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipermanden View Post
So are the shackles supposed to be the same direction pointing up like in the second picture when you are on level ground? I have noticed mine in different positions from time to time, but never thought any thing of it. I will have to check tomorrow and see how they are right now? You say if you put blocks under the front leveling jacks, and jack it way up, it will fix this? Interesting??? Is there a reference diagram from Morryde that shows the position they are supposed to be in?
Correct. The second pic is the way they are supposed to be. He was noticing a bad tire wear on his right rear tire like you. When he went to investigate, he thought they looked funny as in the front pic. He called me while I was on vacation and I took pics of mine as a reference. He used the Level-Up system to raise the camper and then put blocks and cribbing under it to ensure it stayed up. He then took the right rear front spring shackle loose and put it back to normal. The tire wear stopped initially, them he noticed the very rear leaf spring bolt (the select track bolt) had come loose. So check the torque on all spring bolts as well.
Yes to the other question about it reversing itself if enough weight is gotten off of the front of the rear axle allowing the shackle to flip. A buddy had his XLR do this and MorRyde told him that was an option to getting it back to normal. Attached is mine in the normal position like the second e in my first post.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170610_132211055-600x1067.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	602  
Golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:38 PM   #23
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
Thanks, I will check tomorrow. Funny how my Morryde logo on my LRE/4100 is broken away just like yours.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:50 PM   #24
Lenny K
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14417
Now that is interesting. Something to keep an eye on when doing my walk around prior to departure.

Lenny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 03:44 PM   #25
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny K View Post
Now that is interesting. Something to keep an eye on when doing my walk around prior to departure.
I've gotten to where I do look at them before each trip and when getting to the CG and then home.
Old 09-22-2017, 03:56 PM   #26
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Yea I here ya, tires are way to expensive not to pay extreme attention to them. Only takes a few minutes. I believe most people never check the condition of, or the air in any tire on any vehicle. I am very anal about that kind of stuff. Probably the reason I have never had a flat let alone a blowout on any vehicle I have ever driven (while on the road). Knock on wood.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 04:03 PM   #27
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
Yea I here ya, tires are way to expensive not to pay extreme attention to them. Only takes a few minutes. I believe most people never check the condition of, or the air in any tire on any vehicle. I am very anal about that kind of stuff. Probably the reason I have never had a flat let alone a blowout on any vehicle I have ever driven (while on the road). Knock on wood.
Not to mention a safety factor and a factor that affects the "pocketbook" when one blows out.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:54 PM   #28
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
I check lug nut torque about every 5 days, or every third leg, and check air pressure with a gauge before each time I move, and have the TPMS system, but I never looked at the shackles before, and will do that now. They want $1,000 for a new axle, so I will go on my next trip, and monitor everything, including tread wear across the tire. Then if I have a problem, I will get a new axle.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:10 PM   #29
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Check the torque in the Select Track bolts. The ones at the end of the springs that go through the yellow hexagon.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:57 PM   #30
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
<snip
They want $1,000 for a new axle...
</snip>
I don't know who "they" are but they are ripping you off. Go to a trailer shop, not a RV dealer, who should do the job for a third of that price. An axle costs about $160 and there isn't much work in replacing it.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:16 PM   #31
RonD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8962
I f you take a 4 hour drive, I-80 west to I-5 south to Hewitt Alignment in Stockton with an appointment you will be fixed correctly with a good alignment and your issues will be over, these people are very good, there number is 209-948-8433
RonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 09:26 AM   #32
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
Ron,

Will Hewitt alignment order the axle for me? will they also service the correct trac and wet bolt setup? It would be nice to do a one stop shop. It took me a while but i did find a place in Reno, NV that has the Goodyear G614's in stock, and they can dismount and mount and balance two of my tires for a total of $770 The tires are $324 each
Old 09-23-2017, 07:44 PM   #33
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
The sailun s637 is as good if not a better tire that the g614 at half the price. I put a set of 5 on this year and have had no trouble what so ever.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 05:56 AM   #34
The Bone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17521
I just had my axles aligned and it took 3 hours. I waited for it. Had them done at Hewett Alignment in Stockton Ca. $320 for the job. All 4 wheels were out of wack. It war the inside of both rear tires. Now it feels like the trailer tows much better . We will see but no way would i buy new axles because you will still have to have them aligned it would appear.
The Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 10:08 AM   #35
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
Bone,

Are your axles the 7,000 pound axles? Just want to make sure they don't turn me down, like the shop in Reno did, because they only do up to 6,000 pound axles?
Old 09-26-2017, 02:48 PM   #36
Mel B.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19469
So I had a similar problem a few weeks ago in Oregon. The wife and I made a u-turn on HWY 97 between klamath Falls and I 5 The blacktop had about a 4" drop and as slow as I was going didn't think anything about it. A few miniutes later I looked in my mirrors and the trailer was going down the road at a angle. I stopped and the rear shackles were bent and the right rear tire (NEW SALIUNS on there first trip) was just about touching the skirting. It was 5:10 so we spent the night on the side of the HWY. The next morning I called camping world in Redding and thank god they were no help. So I called a truck repair shop in Shasta City. The guy said if you get it here I'll look at it. So I had to bend my skirtting so it wouldn't rub on the tire. It was a very nerve racking drive. So we made it and 2 young guys got on creepers and I could hear alot of opinions, one was that my frame was bent. They climbed out and said they think the frame is bent. He said his boss would be right back and he would look. So he showed up and kept looking and he said something broke. Then he told one of the guy's to pull the right rear tire and remove the leaf spring. He did and the leaf spring fell apart in a bunch of peices and the bolt or pin that holds the spring and the axle in place was sheared off. And he had the spring in stock. All this for a whopping $175.00 I was shocked, I expected alot more then that. I told him I would go on line and give him a great review. But he said no that he hates working on RV'S, well he said it's not the RV'S it's the owners that he doesn't like. So the last thing I asked was should I get the trailer tires aligned with a lazor? He said why there better now then when it was new. Anyone know a place in Sonoma County that will align my axles?
Old 09-26-2017, 04:54 PM   #37
Mel B.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19469
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonD View Post
I f you take a 4 hour drive, I-80 west to I-5 south to Hewitt Alignment in Stockton with an appointment you will be fixed correctly with a good alignment and your issues will be over, these people are very good, there number is 209-948-8433
I just called Hewitt and made an appointment for next Wed. $165 per axle they don't use a lazor but they bend the axles. She said they get alot of brand new RV'S straight from the dealer. I wanted to drop off the 5ver on Friday and pick it up on monday or Tuesday on the way back from our summer place in the gold country, But they would let me but I had to leave my truck, becuase they can't move the 5ver without my truck. So I'm taking it over next Wed. Thanks for putting the name and number out there. I called a few truck places here but they didn't sound as good as the lady at Hewitt.
Old 09-28-2017, 06:41 AM   #38
The Bone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17521
Quote:
Bone,

Are your axles the 7,000 pound axles? Just want to make sure they don't turn me down, like the shop in Reno did, because they only do up to 6,000 pound axles?
They didnt even ask me what axles I had. call (209) 948-8433
The Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 07:04 AM   #39
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
I had my two rear tires replaced yesterday, and the guy at the Commercial Tire center in Reno called Purcell Tire, and they stock the Goodyear G614's, said to check my wheel bearings, because that is what that extreme wear on the inside edge looked like to him. So i did check the rock back and forth movement from one side to the other, and it did not feel that bad, but he said just call a day ahead, and then show up, and they would inspect and repack all 4 for me while I wait. He said about an hour. Then when I get back from my next trip, I will go to Stockton or before the start of my next season, I will have them check them out. Thanks
Old 09-28-2017, 04:29 PM   #40
Linnea
Established Member

M.O.C. #20604
Quote:
I measured the depth of the tread on all 4 tires of my 2017 3820FK Monty, after our first 2,500 mile trip, and they were all perfect. Since then, I have just watched the temp and psi readings on our TST tpms, and they are always within a few degrees or a few psi, unless the sun is on one side for a long time. Anyway, on this last mountainous trip, going over the Teton pass of 10% grade for 5 straight miles, ugh, I noticed getting ready to make our last leg home, that the left rear inside tread was totally gone, and the strands below the rubber were starting to show? How could this happen to this one tire so fast? We are not full timers, and do not carry any water with us, so we travel pretty light compared to most. We have weighed our fiver a couple of times on highway scales, and it has always been in balance front to back. I have not had the chance to measure side to side, but like I said, we don't carry anything heavy with us. So is there a bent axle, or is the "Correct Trac" system messing up, or is the Morryde suspension messing things up? I put the spare on, and went the remaining 335 miles home, and so far the tread wear seems normal for that spare? Any ideas? See the pic attached. It was worn on the inside of the tire, so I am not sure if this happened on one leg, or for the last 10,000 miles? But still every other tire measures really uniform for wear.
We had the same problem. Took it to dealer to have the axles checked. Axles were fine and alignment was correct. The problem was with the height of the hitched in the bed of the truck (we have the same truck as you). We need to drop the hitch down one more notch to have the coach ride more level. Ever since making that adjustment, we have not had any more problems. We've probably put on 1500 miles since making that adjustment. Amazing what 1" can do! Dealer said the hitch height was causing the rear tires to wear unevenly. Hope this helps.
Linnea is offline   Reply With Quote