Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2012, 02:46 PM   #1
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Benefits of full timing

We camp host for the Corps of Engineers. Looking down the street at the empty camping spaces I couldn't help but feel glad I'm full timing. I still remember the days of arrive on friday night and set up, try to have as much fun on Saturday as possible because then you pack up and go home (talk about pressure over something that should be enjoyable), and then brief fun on Sunday before you have to pack up and go home and put the trailer in it's parking spot (for many of us a real task with a 38 footer). Now here I sit eating my dinner, looking at the lake and the empty spots and wondering what I might feel like doing tomorrow. Maybe just more of the same.

DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:23 PM   #2
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Just can't get DW to agree, long tips are OK , but no full time .
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:30 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
That's ok, the same would go for long trips I'm sure. Just feels great to be out there and not have to be back tomorrow.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:00 PM   #4
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
We are camp hosts for a Lower Colorado River Authority RV park iin Matagorda, Texas. We, too, watched the campers packing up all morning--lots of work! We sat on the patio watching the number of empty sites grow and grow, knowing that we are very lucky to be fulltiming and enjoy "camping" [s]375[/s] days a year!

EDIT: That would be 365 days a year!

Carolyn Mathews
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:01 PM   #5
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
OK, I have to ask, Carolyn where did you get the extra 10 days?? Or is it Full Timing feels like you have an extra 10 days in a year?
Old 06-05-2012, 06:11 AM   #6
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
Watching the weekenders come and go is just the tip of the iceberg for us- We don't have to endure snow and cold weather in winter or extreme heat in the summer- If we end up with bad neighbors, we can "bug out"- The scenario is endless- And it's all GOOD- JMHO- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:19 AM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I think DW is a sister from another mother of Hook's wife. I would love to full-time, too, but DW rules the roost, and now we have grandbabies so we don't RV much either. DW talks about it a lot but when the time draws nie and she's needed for the grandbabies.... well, y'all get the idea. Okay, okay, I love the grandbabies, too.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:44 AM   #8
tanner1070
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11365
Dick, I can only imagine how nice it would be to full time. My favorite passtime would be to watch other set up and tear down every weekend...lol But, for those of us that can't swing the long time it or full time it yet, it is still better to do the crazy weekend thing than not to at all.
tanner1070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:22 AM   #9
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Amen to that!
Old 06-05-2012, 12:20 PM   #10
patbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11268
Just taking Monday off so I can get lazy on Sunday afternoon is WONDERFUL! Shorter lines at the dump station on Monday mornings, too...
patbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:08 PM   #11
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
We dearly love our 12 grandchildren and enjoy their hugs, birthdays, and holidays. Sometimes we are with them then sometimes we are with them on Skype. They enjoy mugging on the video camera for us. We don't babysit. Full timing hasn't deterred our grand parenting, rather it has given us great stories and adventures to share with them to encourage them to be adventurous.

Full timing is for those who color outside the lines. I find no fault with those who need traditional structure or to own property or things to feel comfortable. I find that things own you rather than the reverse. As a full timer, I feel unencumbered to pursue adventure.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:04 PM   #12
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
I am happy for you if you are honestly happy. I love traveling around the country in our Montana, we call ourselves Lontimers, we are on the road for 4 to 5 months a year. But after that I need to get out of the trailer and enjoy our roots in our home, there is no way we could ever fulltime.

Happy Camping!
RKassl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:05 PM   #13
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
DW asked, "What are you going to do today?"
I said, "Absolutely nothing!"
She said, "But that's what you did yesterday!!"
I said, "But dear, I didn't get done."
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:25 AM   #14
subra1228
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10766
Totally agree! Since we're here in Mt. Rushmore for the seasons, not only do we get to enjoy the area at a slower pace, but get to take in everything that happens in one place for a season. For example, there will be a naturalization ceremony next week (Thursday, Flag Day) at the monument and we'll get to see it. Never would this have happened if we were just passing through town for a couple days, trying to "do the Black Hills in one week or less."
subra1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:33 AM   #15
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
Right on, Stiles!! JMHO- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:56 PM   #16
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
We are new at Long-Timing and have really enjoyed not rushing back at the end of the weekend. We attended our first Spring MOC rally at Distant Drums in April and got to meet many other MOCers. We still have things to do, but not to rush. In Yellowstone at present and today cold rain and spitting snow slowed kep us indoors long enough for the DW to get a new haircut and me to read the first 100+ pages of Two Years Before the Mast. Picking up granddaughters at Bozeman tomorrow for a their summer trip visit. These things are truly the "benefits of full timing" (Long-Timing for us).
Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:51 AM   #17
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
We are fulltimers BUT we have a "home base" a beautifull extended stay resort in olympia,WA a nice gated small resort with only 22 spots with LOTS of space between rigs on a lake ,if you can find a place like this living in you rig is a great life! whenever we feel like taking off we pay our rent for a few months keep our spot and start traveling and then come back "home"! beats having a stick house with a 2k a month mortgage payment an all the maintainece
Old 06-08-2012, 04:41 PM   #18
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Heyyyyyy! You're living my dream... What gives?
I have 3 1/2 years to go before I can "pull the plug"!
Enjoy Dick!

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

We camp host for the Corps of Engineers. Looking down the street at the empty camping spaces I couldn't help but feel glad I'm full timing. I still remember the days of arrive on friday night and set up, try to have as much fun on Saturday as possible because then you pack up and go home (talk about pressure over something that should be enjoyable), and then brief fun on Sunday before you have to pack up and go home and put the trailer in it's parking spot (for many of us a real task with a 38 footer). Now here I sit eating my dinner, looking at the lake and the empty spots and wondering what I might feel like doing tomorrow. Maybe just more of the same.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:42 PM   #19
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
X2!

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by tanner1070

Dick, I can only imagine how nice it would be to full time. My favorite passtime would be to watch other set up and tear down every weekend...lol But, for those of us that can't swing the long time it or full time it yet, it is still better to do the crazy weekend thing than not to at all.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:14 AM   #20
K&Gs3400RL
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9671
We are full timing but not by choice (Well guess I can't really say that, because we could have rented an Apt. or found a house to rent) after loosing the stick house, and most of our savings a few years ago. A long story I would rather not get into. We started looking at many places in the area to park the 5th wheel, and found they were all side by side like an RV lot, not a good option when you have five Dogs. We found a nice 1/4 acre to rent, so we parked the Mountaineer we had at the time, and with that started our full timing life style. Were both working again and working on getting back on our feet. We are still going thru, and getting rid of stuff from the stick house. We never new we had so much STUFF. Were also finally at a point we can start getting our finances back in order. From only one income for almost a year. We hope to some day hit the road like many of you do, as we have realized this is a lot simpler life style, without all the headache. We still pack up once in a while, and go for a weekend here and there, but mostly stay put. The adventure has begun and we are enjoying Our New life style. If we had known or thought about this 8 years ago we could have saved ourselves allot of money and heartache, but back then all I thought our RV was for was weekend trips. There are challenges like what do you do when the trailer needs to go in for repair. So I am learning to do more things on my own. But there are some you just cant. All I can do is hold my head up and learn as we go.

I do know I will never spend and waste my money on another stick house.
K&Gs3400RL is offline   Reply With Quote