Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2009, 01:13 PM   #1
wward208
Established Member

M.O.C. #9347
Satellite receiver hook-up

I have a 2010 Montana model 3150. In the top compartment of entertainment center there is a double coax outlet which came with a jumper cable hooking the two outlets together. In this configuration I can watch tv using roof antenna. My question is--how do I hook satellite receiver up to use portable satellite antenna? If I want to use park cable tv how do I do do this? Thanks in advance.

wward208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 01:22 PM   #2
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
Hook your satellite to the connection in the convenience center and in the entertainment center it goes from the top connection to the satellite receiver. Hook the cable lead to the convenience center and leave the jumper hooked up and it will feed both TV's through the outside antenna setup but do not turn on the booster.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:28 AM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20

It says jumper is needed only when cable in use but I think that includes when using the antenna.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 09:54 AM   #4
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Be aware there are some splitters in there that will block the DC needed by the dish antenna. A couple of these [HOLLAND DIPLEXER DPD2] back to back should fix the DC problem. They look like the a splitter but they feed DC straight through to one side and block DC to the other side. Got the info from another MOCer post.
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:43 AM   #5
wward208
Established Member

M.O.C. #9347
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

It says jumper is needed only when cable in use but I think that includes when using the antenna.
Satellite is my main source of tv programming so I believe I am going to install a dedicated satellite hookup probably in the outside wall of entertainment slide. That way it looks like I would be able to leave jumper in its original position.What do you think about this? Thanks
wward208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:42 AM   #6
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Two inputs is the way it was on our 2003 Montana, one for cable and one for sat. That's the way it should be as far as I'm concerned. It took hours to figure out how to hook the sat up when we traded up, then it was a real pain to change every time we moved it from house to RV.
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 05:54 PM   #7
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Quote:
quote:Countryfolks Posted - Aug 04 2009 : 5:42:01 PM
Two inputs is the way it was on our 2003 Montana, one for cable and one for sat. That's the way it should be as far as I'm concerned. It took hours to figure out how to hook the sat up when we traded up, then it was a real pain to change every time we moved it from house to RV.
I installed a 2nd coax from the convenience center to the entertainment center. I use it for my satellite receiver and plug the output into the Vid 1 or 2 Input on the TV. Work great for me.
DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 02:51 PM   #8
RonT
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9360
Like DonnAnnie I installed a new line to the entertainment center for the LR satellite. I did this so I could use the existing sat./cable input for a bedroom satellite connection. To do that I installed a new jumper plate prior to the Booster Jack in the bedroom(see diagram above). This is done since the required voltage between the lnb and receiver will not pass through the booster. If you want cable in the bedroom/LR just install a jumper on the new plate. With this setup you never remove the jumper wire in the entertainment center.
RonT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 08:41 AM   #9
boje
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8761
I just hooked up my portable satellite last week to see how it would work. I disconnected the jumper you refer to , and it has no effect on antenna TV. I proceeded to run a cable from the top of the coax outlet to "satellite in", and "to TV" from the receiver to the bottom of the outlet. Turned TV to channel 3, shut off booster to antenna, and now have satellite on all three outlets.

boje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 11:15 AM   #10
Lije Baley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3890
We are taking delivery of an '09 3150 on Friday (8/14). I've decided to wire the unit for two satellite tuners at each of the three stations, living area, bedroom, and basement. I have Directv at home, so the new DVRs are just an extension of my home account. The bedroom TV and its HD DVR can be picked up and connected in the basement as long as there is a signal there. The other HD DVR will remain in the living area with the HD LCD.

This may get technical, but I'll try to be concise. PM if you wish more details, and remember, I won't actually have done this until next Saturday.

Directv can provide signals to multiple tuners on a single cable, utilizing SWM (single wire multi-switch) technolgy. The SWM LNB and receivers communicate with each other during setup. Each receiver/tuner is assigned a frequency. Mutiple satellite signals travel the same cable, but at different frequencies. Each receiver sees only its own signals. Thus, existing cable systems in a residence where only one cable went to each TV area in a closed loop system, can support multiple satellite receivers without requiring that separate cables be brought to each receiver from the dish or multi-switch. Additionally, a single wire can provide a signal to both tuners in a DVR. This is great for our Montanas. Previously I wired our 2955 as boje described in his post. I could do that easily again just by connecting my equipment as Montana expects me to. Unfortunately, all sets show the same programming being sent by the satellite receiver.

I will connect the SWM wire from the satellite reflector (dish) to the satellite input on the Montana. But I will leave the jumper cable connected. At the booster box, all three TV locations have cables connected. I'll remove the booster box and replace it with a splitter. I'll reconnect the lines to the three TV locations (later, I'll try a diplexer on the line from the antenna). The line to the receiver/dvd player will not be carrying an FM signal (unless I successfully diplex the line): the living area HD DVR will intercept the signal going to the Samsung receiver. I'll send video and audio to the LCD by HDMI from the DVR. I'll also send audio to the Samsung receiver by optical cable.

All these connections, beginning with the LNB and ending at the receiver, are specialized. The system will not work unless exactly the proper parts are used.

Bill

(Edited after Robbie thought Mariana knew about satellite wiring. It may be the only thing in which she lacks expertise, but there it is)
Lije Baley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 11:53 AM   #11
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Nice explanation Mariana. Thanks.

Please have Bill change the old Monty picture when he gets a chance. I know he is so darned busy these days.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 12:23 PM   #12
Lije Baley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3890
Hey, I wrote that! I'm going to edit in my signature to prevent further misattribution. We will take a pic and change our sig soon. First, we have to take delivery.

Bill
Old 08-08-2009, 12:51 PM   #13
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Lije Baley

Hey, I wrote that! I'm going to edit in my signature to prevent further misattribution. We will take a pic and change our sig soon. First, we have to take delivery.

Bill
...just taking delivery on a chance to pull a lawyer's chain....

Must be an exciting time for you two!
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 01:11 PM   #14
Lije Baley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3890
How do we get this thread moved to the "Let Us Entertain You" forum?

We're pretty stoked over the new unit. We'll pick it up Friday and go for a 4-night shakedown on Sunday. Hopefully, the satellite TV will be working.

The Hickory 3150RL will provide a great deal of fun.
Old 08-09-2009, 03:31 PM   #15
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
Bill,

The new SWM setup requires a new generation Slimline dish and power of some kind at the dish. What else? New receivers? I'm not too familiar with that setup.

Thanks,
Greg
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:25 PM   #16
Lije Baley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3890
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Clemson1881

Bill,

The new SWM setup requires a new generation Slimline dish and power of some kind at the dish. What else? New receivers? I'm not too familiar with that setup.

Thanks,
Greg
Yes, the system requires power (21vdc) from a power inserter that is plugged into the splitter (and unfortunately, the alignment signal locator when one is setting up the system). You're correct, only the newer Directv receivers are compatible with the SWM technology. Most customers can get a pretty good upgrade deal over the phone. I've been with Directv for seven years. I called and asked about their "best" discount. And I asked again. And again. The offers kept getting better. In short, you can get new DVRs for the trailer for little extra expense, or upgrade older equipment which you move to the Montana while you are in it. Newer receivers, and AU9 Slimline dish, splitter and power inverter. Setup will be easier with a good meter and ASL, but can be done with the readings on the TV.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:01 PM   #17
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Some of the older (1 or 2 year old)DVRs have a SWM2 sticker by one of the RF leads on the back of the unit. Those units are SWM ready. I got a new replacement DVR for a faulty re-manufactured replacement that they sent to me to replace my original. I am using a tripod setup and the last tech that visited got me the new 3 LNB heads, one in SWM mode and one in the 4 wire mode. Theoretically I can set the tripod up with the 4 wire head and my Birdog meter then switch to the SWM before I hook up the rig to the dish. It didn't work for me so I am still using the 4 wire. So some of the "older DVRs will work with the SWM system... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 02:27 PM   #18
Lije Baley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3890
Dave,

You're correct. By "newer" receivers I meant those made in the past several years. They'll say "SWM" or "FTM" (same thing) by the input for SAT 1. Here's a list of receivers that are SWM compatible:

HR20 -100, 700 (With current software download)
H20 -100, 600 (With current software download)
D12-100/300/500 (With current software download)
H21 - 100, 200 (With current software download)
HR21 (With current software download)
HR21 Pro (With current software download)
HR22, HR23 (2008 release)
H23 (Release TBD)
R16 (With current software download)
R22 (Early 2008 release)

Directv sent me a refurbished HR 21-100 and a new (but discontinued) R 16. Rather than hook them up here in the house, I'm waiting until we bring the new Montana home. The dish arrived today, the ASL and tripod should be here by Friday. I know what I'll be doing on Saturday.

There are a collection of good Directv training videos that have made their way to YouTube and to satellite parts dealers' websites.

Installing the Slimline AT9 dish (similar enough to the AU9 to be worthwhile): http://www.solidsignal.com/satellite...all_videos.asp

The SWM technology and installation: http://www.solidsignal.com/satellite...shes.asp#video

There is also a Directv powerpoint style pdf covering SWM and HD dishes. It's easier to understand after watching the videos.
http://forums.directv.com/pe/Reposit...1/SWM%20-%20In

Most of this gear is cheaper on eBay.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:14 PM   #19
Lije Baley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3890
I wired the trailer as planned today. The most time consuming part of the job was determining what the five cable runs at the booster plate were, so that I could properly wire them to my splitter. The RG-6 on the outside of the booster plate went to the Bedroom TV. On the inside of the plate there were three cables attached. One of the cables was really two cables joined with a standard splitter. Those two cables were for the basement and living area TVs. The remaining two cables were the antenna and the cable/satellite connection. By connecting the latter two cables (with a barrel connector) to the BR or LA TV, I could see which produced a signal (the antenna) and which did not (cable/sat before the dish was inline). I was surprised to find that the BR 19" LCD TV is also HD. I'm borrowing an HD DVR from the house for it, while the living area has its own HD DVR. (The SD DVR I thought I needed for the BR will find a place at home where I occasionally exercise.)

The single wire technology is great. I've got one cable from the dish to the trailer connection. And at each of the three locations Montana has wired for TV, I've got two signals for the DVR tuners. I did not have to rewire, or add cables to Montana's original job, except for substituting the splitter for the booster plate. Later, I'll try diplexing (which Directv says cannot be done, although many have done it) to add the over the air signals to my DVRs. OTA will be important when I am outside the area covered by my local spot beam.

The 3150 is a very nice rig. We're looking forward to a shakedown trip tomorrow.

8/21/09: We had a great four days in our new rig. All systems worked perfectly and we love the floor plan. I read a few manuals and found in the Wineguard antenna manual a diagram of the wiring of the booster plate that I spent so much trial and error time to determine. It's in the manual!!! Who knew?

Bill
Old 08-15-2009, 09:35 PM   #20
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Bill you will be glad you did that. I ran a lot of RG6 but now when I pull into a campground I can watch cable, off the air, sat dome and if that is blocked by trees I pull out the tripod. And I don't have to mess with switching cables around anymore or forgetting to turn off that tv amp in the front closet so the sat would work.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote