Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2007, 03:56 PM   #1
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Indianapolis Speedway

This really has little to do with Montanas, but on our way home from the RGV, we stopped over near Indianapolis to watch our son-in-law practice driving an Indy Pro Series car on the Speedway. That was interesting to us of course, but what I really wanted to pass on is that the the Speedway is really an interesting place to visit. They have a great museum, you can take a bus trip around the track and the staff are super nice and helpful. The admission is only $3, as is the bus ride around the track.

A few things we learned:

John Allison, (founder of Allison Engineering - maker of transmissions) was one of the founding patners of the speedway.

Cummins powered diesel-engined cars have competed several times, and won once, completing the 500 miles non-stop.

When Formula 1 cars and drivers started to cross over into Indy racing, they used Ford V-8 engines to boost the power of the F-1 race cars to meet the demands of Speedway racing. This led to the development of high performance Ford V-8s.

Louis and Gaston Chevrolet were early racers at the speedway.

There you are, something for everyone.

Anyway, if you find yourself near Indianapolis, try a visit to the Speedway. You can park an RV in the museum parking lot, although you have to go through a tunnel to get there, it looks scary, but the big rig trucks do it. Oh! and if you would like to camp in the infield, you can, for $4250/mo! They have 33 spaces.

OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 04:12 PM   #2
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Interesting facts. Is that $4250.00 per month???????
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 04:30 PM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We go way back with the Indy Speedway.. Watching the practice runs from the "snake pits" then later back in turn 4, Had a good friend who was a "yellow shirt" so we got in real easy.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 06:32 PM   #4
rlrich
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5319
Ah, the "snake pit". Spent a couple of Memorial Day weekends there inside turn 1. Don't remember much of the weekend but friends tell me I was there.
rlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 07:36 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Don't remember much of the weekend but friends tell me I was there' That proves your were there. I guess saying turn 4 would not be exactly correct. Coming out of turn 3 then the short chute into turn 4 there was then and maybe still is a lot of infield there where you were looking at the cars coming out of turn 4..nothing like the scream of the Indy cars at 200MPH//You just got to be there. They put bleachers in the snake pits so we had to move in the back..Ontmont brought back some great memories.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 05:41 PM   #6
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
We're parked at the Indiana State FAirgrounds in their RV park. Can't wait to see some of the pre-race activity. It is very cold right now. Will move to the area that CampingWorld will setup just across the street on 16th for 5/24-27, Should be fun--will take a bunch of pictures so I will know that I was there.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 04:04 AM   #7
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
We will be coming back to Indy (without the Montana this time) for the Freedom 100 on the Friday. Our son-in-law (Shane Jantzi) will be driving the Brian Stewart Racing #33 car, (a red one) http://www.brianstewartracing.ca/indexsite.htm. There will be practice and qualifying on Thursday.

This will be his first actual race in the Indy Pro Series. If we see a Montana near CW lot, we may stop by to say "Hi".
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 09:47 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Interesting info, John. We have been past the speedway on various highways numerous times but I never realized there was anything there for the casual tourist. Thanks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote