Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2004, 03:19 AM   #21
Montana_31
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #31
We owned a 2000 3280 RL when we decided to go full time. After researching and joining "RV Consumer Group" we decided to look at New Horizons units. Donna was dead set against it because she didn't like the looks of the New Horizons (we sent for a brochure in 2000). While returning home from South Dakota, we stopped at the factory in Junction City, Kansas for a factory tour. We met the new owner of the company, Phil Brokenicky, and saw his updated version of the New Horizons RV. We were the first buyers of the Summit model, which was featured in the March issue of "Trailer Life". We knew the risks involved in buying the first model, but trusted in the integrity of Phil who assured us he would make everything right. We have no reservations recommending a New Horizons as a full time unit or with dealing with the company. Our expectations of our new home were exceeded and although we have only been full time since December, we fully expect our unit to last for many years to come. We attended a New Horizons Rally in late April in Texas and saw a number of older units that still looked new and had no or only a few small problems. Is there a down side, maybe, depending on your point of view. They aren't inexpensive or light. We decided if we were giving up our house, which we liked, we were going to get another nice home to travel around in to see the country. We knew that there are a lot of nice rigs available and we looked at them too. We decided on the New Horizons for three reasons. One, the evaluation of the "RV Consumer Group" research. Two, the option of designing from the ground up our new home, which by the way, was an awesome experience. They also have floor plans to choose from if you're not into designing your own rig. Three, and certainly not the least, the quality of workmanship that goes into each unit built. If you are ever traveling I 70 through Kansas, take exit 295 go south one block and turn right one block. Be sure to get there early because they stop work at 3:30 PM. There will still be people in the office, but you won't see the actual construction of a unit after 3:30.

Montana_31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 03:24 AM   #22
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
I doubt Gruffy's problem is due to rust, his unit just isn't that old nor all that rusty. Poor design or inferior materials would be more likely.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 08:55 AM   #23
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
rlaubert,
That's a good question. I'm sure a lot of the answer to your question would depend on how it is maintained. Steve and Vicky Reigle started full-timing in their 3295RK a little over a year ago. They would be good folks to give you some first hand idea about your question. I think they must be "between" internet connection locations right now. Haven't seen a post from them in about a week.

When they stopped by our location earlier this year we visited them at their RV park. Their rig looked as if it had just come off the showroom floor. Actually it looked a little better because they have done a lot of things to make it really look nice. This is their "home" and they have made it look like it is their home. Very nice indeed.

Perhaps when he gets back on he'll post some info that will help.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 10:56 AM   #24
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
As you have probably found out by now, most rv's are not intended for full time use, or at least that is what the manufacturers claim. However there are many that are being used for just that. You just have to bear in mind that they are not the same as a house. The carpet, water fixtures etc will probably not last as long. As other people have stated probably the biggest problem can be moisture. Just 2 people add quite a bit of moisture per day, not to mention cooking, showers,etc and if not corrected can get into the walls and cause rot and delamination of the fiberglass. During cold weather it is important you keep some frest air coming in. We always have a window and a skylight cracked a little bit. If moisute starts condensing on the windows that's our sign to let a little more air in for a while. If you just start with a decent trailer (Montana of course) and give it a little care, it should last you just fine
Old 07-26-2004, 02:55 AM   #25
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
Looks like there's a lot more wrong then those photos show. All the bushings have gone. I suspect anyone with the same sort of suspension system and more then 15,000 miles has no bushings left in the spring ends.

I ran out of bolts on the weekend, but as soon as I get the next axel done I'll get some photos up. I think I may have spotted another failing link but I won't know until I open it up. I'll photograph and post inspection proceedures when I finish.

The 3670 has 6,000 pound Alkos under a 14,000 pound 5er. Assume 2,000 on the truck and I guess you had better not leave the campground without dumping the tanks. Real great design.
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 02:57 AM   #26
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
By the way, so far no high milage Montanas have shown up on the mileage poll. Do you suppose there aren't any out there???
Old 07-26-2004, 03:04 AM   #27
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Gruffy,
I'm curious as to how this whole thing is put together. I know that most all of the trailers come with a plastic bushing in the spring eye which lasts no time at all. Does your have a steel bushing inside of this that the bolt goes thru?
Old 07-26-2004, 05:59 AM   #28
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
Remember that old song "Everythings Gonna Be Plastic Bye And Bye".

All plastic bushings everywhere. The good news is they are only $0.33 each ... the bad news is there is 14 of them..... badder news is the sholder bolts have no threads left when you remove them.
Old 07-26-2004, 07:48 AM   #29
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Too bad they aren't Dexter axles, they make kit with metal bushings and bolts drilled for grease zerks. I would gladly pay a few dollars extra for a trailer that didn't have those stupid plastic bushings
Old 08-01-2004, 12:48 PM   #30
Montana_1892
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1892
hi,
six robblees' in Wash. 1-800-275-2709, has a retro-fit kit that they sell for less than $30.00 that may fit. uses brass inserts and grease fitted bolts.
my 2 cents,
grey ghost
Montana_1892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 04:05 PM   #31
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rlaubert

How long can we expect the Montana to last full-timing it? Plan on moving about 2 maybe 3 times a year and mostly east coast.

So, given no accidents and good preventive maintenance, how long can we expect the 5vr to last?
Rlaubert, under those conditions it should last a lot of years. Ours is just 25 months old and we've been fulltiming for 17 months. We do move a lot, though, having been to both coasts twice. To give you an idea, we traded trucks on June 29, 2003. The new one has 46,000 miles on it now. I'd guess the Montana has somewhere between 15k and 25k. Someday I'll look at our routes (we have them drawn out on a map) and estimate the mileage.

Take care of it and it should last a long time. By the way, wanting ours to last a long time is a big reason why we chose Montana. So far we're happy with our choice.

If you don't move very often, be sure to open/close the slides periodically, whatever that means. I hear once per week but think most do it once per month. Check tires, etc. You know the drill.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote