Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2018, 08:22 PM   #1
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Ordered disc brakes today!!

You guys are as bad as the Harley Davidson forums!
I ordered my disc brake kit today and am looking forward to getting started.
It seems like the right thing to do, these big trailers are a handful in a hard stop situation.

Mark

Old 02-07-2018, 08:35 PM   #2
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Man, that is the one mod I really want to do as it is SO much better than the drums. Post up some pics in you would. Just to make me more jealous!
Old 02-07-2018, 08:36 PM   #3
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Let us know how the install goes assuming you are doing it yourself.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 08:40 PM   #4
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfmedik View Post
Man, that is the one mod I really want to do as it is SO much better than the drums. Post up some pics in you would. Just to make me more jealous!
I will take some pictures, I'm hoping it's as good an idea as it sounds.
I'm due for a bearing packing anyway so thought I may as well. The brakes on these things are smaller than an old 1/2 ton pickup. Here's to hoping.

Mark
Old 02-07-2018, 09:24 PM   #5
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Man I am pea green!!! The disc brakes are high on the priority list but not as high as the better tires and cushion hitch......

Might as well do the disc brakes with top of the line bearings and upgraded suspension all at once?
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 09:42 PM   #6
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
Man I am pea green!!! The disc brakes are high on the priority list but not as high as the better tires and cushion hitch......

Might as well do the disc brakes with top of the line bearings and upgraded suspension all at once?
The brake setup comes with the new bearings. We have the 4100 Mor/Ryde and the Mor/Ryde isolater pin box, and G rated tires. I’m very pleased with the ride.

Mark
MARK A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 02:38 AM   #7
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
I would love to do the 8k independent suspension upgrade to ours as well, but not sure about the funding for that one...
Old 02-08-2018, 06:31 AM   #8
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Disc brakes may be the best mod you will ever make on a towable RV

Take a good look at those new bearings as some suppliers don't give you any improvement over the Chinese junk Keystone/Dexter
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 09:08 AM   #9
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfmedik View Post
I would love to do the 8k independent suspension upgrade to ours as well, but not sure about the funding for that one...
Ya, I don’t know about that one either. I personally am very pleased with the ride of the 4100 M/R on ours. If I was pulling it every day all day long, or even once a week, might be different.
If the brakes are as big an improvement to stopping as I’ve been reading I’ll be happy.

Mark
Old 02-10-2018, 06:12 PM   #10
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
I have disc brakes on my 3455sa and I can stop the entire rig with just the trailer brakes if needed. The difference is NIGHT AND DAY. I no longer feel the camper pushing the truck. I now feel the camper and truck braking as one.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 06:31 PM   #11
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
I have disc brakes on my 3455sa and I can stop the entire rig with just the trailer brakes if needed. The difference is NIGHT AND DAY. I no longer feel the camper pushing the truck. I now feel the camper and truck braking as one.
That’s great to hear. I’m still trying to get my mind around how the braking is ‘proportional’ to the pickup brakes. I suppose it’s built into the actuator sensing inertia? I’m really looking forward to them.
I was disappointed to find out that there aren’t any American made bearings anymore. Even Timkens are made in China.🤨
Mark
Old 02-10-2018, 06:34 PM   #12
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post

Take a good look at those new bearings as some suppliers don't give you any improvement over the Chinese junk Keystone/Dexter
Thanks! I did some checking and found even Timkens are made in China. 😕
Mark
Old 02-14-2018, 09:07 AM   #13
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:

Dave,
Do you think Timken are manufactured to a closer tolerance even if they are manufactured overseas?
For the 250 bucks I’d gladly buy the better ones.

Mark
Old 02-14-2018, 11:02 AM   #14
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARK A View Post
Dave,
Do you think Timken are manufactured to a closer tolerance even if they are manufactured overseas?
For the 250 bucks I’d gladly buy the better ones.

Mark

Mark, I'm convinced that Timken as well as National, SKF Fafnir, NTN and Bower just to name a few are a better choice then the unbranded Far Eastern bearing manufacturers products and are made to ISO and ASTM plus other worldwide standards you can actually find on the 'net while the unbranded bearings are at best, questionable since you usually can't find their manufacturing criteria. I have never had a common branded bearing fail. As far as Timken manufacturing bearings outside the US and other folks bone of contention, that company at my last look made bearings in 27 different countries but have to assume built to their worldwide standards.

If you do choose to go with Timken, Rock Auto Parts has usually had better pricing then Amazon even with shipping charges.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 11:19 AM   #15
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
Mark, I'm convinced that Timken as well as National, SKF Fafnir, NTN and Bower just to name a few are a better choice then the unbranded Far Eastern bearing manufacturers products and are made to ISO and ASTM plus other worldwide standards you can actually find on the 'net while the unbranded bearings are at best, questionable since you usually can't find their manufacturing criteria. I have never had a common branded bearing fail. As far as Timken manufacturing bearings outside the US and other folks bone of contention, that company at my last look made bearings in 27 different countries but have to assume built to their worldwide standards.

If you do choose to go with Timken, Rock Auto Parts has usually had better pricing then Amazon even with shipping charges.
Thank You!

Mark
Old 10-25-2019, 05:13 PM   #16
Bulldog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22842
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARK A View Post
Thank You!

Mark

Mark how did you disc brake conversion go. Are you happy with it.
2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 05:25 PM   #17
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Couldn't be more pleased. The stopping distance is remarkably less. Probably the best thing I've done to the trailer so far. Tom at Stopyourtrailer.com was very helpful, I elected to buy new Timken bearings and races and I saved the China ones for Emergency spares.

Mark
Old 10-25-2019, 08:52 PM   #18
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
We had discs installed at the Coos Bay, OR rally in June. Went from the brake controller set at 9 to 4.5 and the rig stops much better than just the truck alone. We opted for the Timkens, and they were only a little less than $40 per wheel, and the outer bearing on the 8K disc hub is larger than on the 7K drum hub, so should be much more durable. This photo is at the end of the first short day of installation, still needing the plumbing and the controller installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new disc brakes.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	4920  
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 06:22 AM   #19
Bulldog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22842
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
We had discs installed at the Coos Bay, OR rally in June. Went from the brake controller set at 9 to 4.5 and the rig stops much better than just the truck alone. We opted for the Timkens, and they were only a little less than $40 per wheel, and the outer bearing on the 8K disc hub is larger than on the 7K drum hub, so should be much more durable. This photo is at the end of the first short day of installation, still needing the plumbing and the controller installed.

Bob which disc brake kit did you use.
2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 02:15 PM   #20
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
They used the Dexter K71-908-00 disc brake end kits that are the 7/8k 13” rotors with 9/19” studs along with the Brakerite by Dexter EHB 1500psi actuator. Also used were the random axle install kit, new lug nuts, the Ford/Chevy controller adapter, and I had the Timken bearings used instead of the ones from Dexter. All this was put together by Performance Trailer Braking and was shipped to the RV park where the rally was held at. Their installer was there for a couple weeks and also put on a couple presentations for the group.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote