Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2004, 04:54 PM   #1
mmrxboss
Established Member

M.O.C. #1425
Whole System Water Filtration

Howdy.
Has anyone installed a whole trailer water filtration system? I have been talking with a local company about this issue and have some ideas from that discussion but am interested in what anyone else may have already done or be in the process of doing.

The system I am looking at would provide about 6gpm (gallons per minute) water flow, filtration to a minimum of 10 micron (1 micron possible) along with a ultraviolet lite purification unit to take care of virus/bacteria/etc. Approximate cost: $800. Annual maintenance for filter and UV lamp: less than $100.

I plan for the unit to be mounted in my basement and plumbed directly into my water line so that ALL water entering the trailer is treated.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

John & Kristi Elam
'03 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Crew LB with The Edge power chip!
AMSOIL Dual Oil Filter system
'04 Montana 3650RK
** 6 yr to retire and counting **

mmrxboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 06:41 PM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
John & Kristi, I know nothing about water filtration systems but your post caught my eye, especially the part about waterflow. In my mind low water flow has been the killer as far as we're concerned. But 6 gpm is outstanding. I'd very much appreciate if you'd publish to us your experiences installing and using this system if you go forward with it. Or if you decide not to.

If I recall, at the rally someone told me they have installed a house type filtration system. I think this is what you're thinking? If so, they'll probably see your post shortly.

Thanks and good luck with it.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 09:08 AM   #3
Montana_1683
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1683
I bought a whole house filter from Home Depot, and used short pieces of 3/4" PVC going into both ends of the filter, at one end I have a fitting that will fit on the campground spigot. At the other end, I place my water regulator and hose and connect it to the RV. If height is need use a plastic construction cone cut to size for the filter. This has been posted in a Trailer Life 5 minute Tech. Libraries should have the book that features all the 5 minute Tech ideas for past issues.
Ask someone in the plumbing area at Home Depot. They will gladly get whatever fittings that are needed. I have used this for other TT's I have owned. Also when I am parked for a week at a location I replace the hose with PVC pipe to make a solid connection to the RV. I always keep a hack saw, PVC glue, and a few extra connectors if needed. This works better for me rather than trying to install a permanent filter inside the RV. If you can find a Cedar Creek dealer, their units all have RV installed filters. This due to the owner of Cedar Creek also manufactures filtration systems.

Gary
Montana_1683 is offline   Reply With Quote