Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-13-2008, 01:08 PM   #1
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Power fill?

Sorry, but I'm too pooped to read the manual. I've completed 2 and a half years of improvements in a day and a half for our new rig. Seems that you get used to all those improvements and we don't want boxes of stuffs traveling with us.

So, my question is: How do I use the Power Fill to fill the fresh water tank? I know to turn the lever at the CC, but do I have to worry about overflow? Should I remove the cap at the water fill at the rear of the 5er?

Thanks,

snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 01:34 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Your over flow for the hose fill is the tank overflow so no you should not have to do anything but fill it up. I would turn it off as soon as it is full because that tank is not use to high 60 lbs of water pressure. Leaving the cap off for the hose fill is a good safety idea.
Congratulations on the new Big Sky.
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 01:37 PM   #3
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Thanks, John.
Old 12-13-2008, 03:59 PM   #4
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Michael, I'd suggest that you take the cap off, your hose is larger than the overflow hose. Probably would not cause a problem, unless you had high water pressure. But since you need to open the normal fill door lock to see the over fill, it doesn't take much to remove the fill cap, and reinstall it before locking the cover door.
Bob
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 04:24 PM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Been there done that Michael. I left the cap off the filler vent. When it was full it really came out of that vent. Try and monitor and turn the water off when it starts to overfill. (save you money on your water bill)

Edited: p.s., unless you are going to do a lot of dry camping, just fill it about 1/3 full. Take showers together if you don't have a CG with a nice facility to conserve water (or just don't shower, yuk!) You really only need the water to flush and wash your hands, so you don't use much. Monitor the 1/3 Full level and add water at the different CG's when it get's low. I don't ever run down the road with a full tank of fresh water, waste, or grey - to much stress sloshing around on the supports.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 02:25 AM   #6
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
On ours,I just run it until the inside monitor gets to 1/3 full. That will take us down the road for a days travel and all needed stops. The only time I would fill the fresh water tank is if we were dry camping.

If you turn it on, you will certainly know when it is full. It does start over flowing at the back fill port. This is from one who turned it on and forgot it until it did overflow.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 04:30 AM   #7
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
We want to fill it up for when the overnight lows are below freezing so that we can get showers before going outside to reconnect the CG water source.

Thanks, all!
Old 12-15-2008, 04:26 AM   #8
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Michael,

I fill the fresh water tank with the "power fill" from the convenience center.

I have never found the need to open the cap on the tank. When full, it just overflows out the air vent. I then turn the water off the "power fill" setting.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote