Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2008, 04:10 AM   #21
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I am with those who keep the drains valves closed. Remember these are HOLDING tanks and they HOLD all kinds of stuff. The galley tanks can get very nasty and soap scum does build up into a concrete like substance. We do not skimp on water use..we dump every two days and sometimes every day..,it does not take long.. Clean tanks are healthy tanks.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:22 AM   #22
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
I can tell that the grey water tank is full when I take a shower and the water is "slow" draining or when it doesn't drain. The galley gray water tank just gets drained when the main grey water tank is drained as I don't seem to be able (thankfully) to fill that one up so can't give you any advice on what to look for as a "signal." We don't wait for the burp, for the black water tank. When I flush and the sound of the fall of water ends "close" to the top we drain.

Robin
eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 07:12 AM   #23
melanie7ny
Established Member

M.O.C. #8832
hi BLAMB,
we, too, are fultimers and love it! i have to say that learning the tanks is difficult, especially when you want to take a shower and you're low on water-you just dont know if you're on the beginning or end of low! a trick we use to keep all the tanks happy is: first open the black, then the galley(grey #2), then grey . if you're unsure if they're really empty, just hook up the black water flush for about 15 minutes. this will clean anything out. so when you're tanks are all empty, fill the fresh. now you have a good starting point to learn your water. we do this process about every 3 days, this way, if something really is clogged or full, we nip it in the bud, before it gets out of control. hope this helps!
melanie7ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 11:57 AM   #24
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by melanie7ny

hi BLAMB,
we, too, are fultimers and love it! i have to say that learning the tanks is difficult, especially when you want to take a shower and you're low on water-you just dont know if you're on the beginning or end of low! a trick we use to keep all the tanks happy is: first open the black, then the galley(grey #2), then grey . if you're unsure if they're really empty, just hook up the black water flush for about 15 minutes. this will clean anything out. so when you're tanks are all empty, fill the fresh. now you have a good starting point to learn your water. we do this process about every 3 days, this way, if something really is clogged or full, we nip it in the bud, before it gets out of control. hope this helps!
Make sure the valve is open when you do the black tank flush!!! Please don't ask how I know that this can be a real disaster if you don't open it!
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:56 PM   #25
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
I found my galley dump valve on the drivers side but inside the hose storage compartment. At least the handle never gets wet.

Ditto all tanks closed until ready to dump. Keep a grease bottle under the sink to pour off oils etc. I also add a little TSP (tablespoon) to the galley water tank when it starts to fill to help break down the grease and soap that inevitably gets in there. It won't hurt the tank or seals and won't affect the CG's septic system.
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 01:06 PM   #26
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Roger,

TSP is a great idea. I have used TSP so many times successfully for other applications, why not in the RV tanks?

Thanks for the idea!!
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote