Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2008, 04:51 PM   #1
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Landing Gear Switch

Well, got a new motor for my landing gear and still no juice. I was limited on time and didn't have all of my tools along to the storage lot. Tomorrow I am going to take the generator down in case it's because I didn't have at least 10V. I will also check the fuses. And, the last resort is to check the switch. I took the four screws out and the switch still seemed to be well "fastened". Does anyone know if this is because of the "insulation" sprayed on the back where it comes through the wall? I would think the switch should come out pretty easy - but I may have to take the insulation off first. Also, is the switch a two wire or three wire switch? I assume two, but wanted to check. Thanks in advance. Hopefully there will be some good responses so I know what to take with me to work in the morning. Heading down right after work. I may just pick up a new switch on the way.

Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 05:27 PM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Ron,

The switch is a six prong with 4-wires actually - as it reverses the polarity to the motor to reverse direction. I believe it is a special purpose design DPDT switch that crosses poles to get the polarity to change. I'm not sure I even remember the pattern it uses. The switch carries the full load of the motor, so the wiring is heavy gauge. That combined with the spray on insulation may be why you are feeling the hesitation in removal of the switch.

If you bring a test light, you can test the back of the switch from the LP compartment after scraping off some of that insulation.

Did you check the automatic resetting breaker (can't remember the name of those) that feeds the gear from the battery? Should have power on the downstream side or it has failed to reset and should be replaced.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 11:10 PM   #3
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
I can't help much with a solution but I just had my switch replaced so they do fail at times.
Jim Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 01:53 AM   #4
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Ron:
I don't know if this will help - last year I lost power to my landing gear and had to manually retract my front legs. My problem was found to be in the wire harness that runs to the switch. There was a connector in the harness that joins the wires from the switch to the battery wires and that connector was pulled apart. I was fortune, in that, I was going to the keystone Service Center that day and they replace the whole wiring harness. I couldn't figure out why I had no power at the motor as I had a good battery and fuse and the wiring looked OK. The connector was inside the plastic protective wrap inside the propane compartment.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 02:35 AM   #5
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Thanks Brad and Steve -
Brad - do you remember where the breaker is at? I thought I would see if there is power at the motor (brought my meter). If I break/cut away the spray in insulation you feel I should be able to get to the wiring on the back side of the switch? I should be able to then test to see if the switch has power. I could then run some wire straight from the battery to the motor and see if the motor turns. Steve - I think the connector is a potential also. It started intermittent and then just stopped. Any idea where in line that connector is at? This is frustrating, but I would like to use it this weekend and don't feel like cranking the whole time. But, with rain coming again to Wisconsin, I may not have much choice. Thanks for the guide.
Old 06-25-2008, 04:29 AM   #6
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Mine was connected in the propane compartment close to the wall where the switch is mounted. If you pushed the wires together there the switch/motor would work the legs.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 05:00 AM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Ron,

The breaker is a silver box up on the firewall behind the batteries, at least on mine. I don't believe there is a fuse.

You should be able to get to the switch conductors from the LP compartment as you say, so you can use your meter.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:19 AM   #8
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Can someone clarify this for me. I thought the landing gear culprit was usually the in-line 30 amp or 40 amp fuse that is above the battery. I thought the auto-reset breaker in the battery compartment was for the slides. Is there a breaker as well as a fuse for the landing gear or am I just totally out in left field. I know that the many times my landing gear did not work it was always that blasted fuse (the fuse blowing was always due to some contribution on my part). The prime example was when I blew four fuses in a row trying to extend the landing gear with the rear stabilizers down. DUHHHHH!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 05:43 AM   #9
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Oops, you're right Bingo. I just looked as some photos and I do have the inline fuse on the landing gear motor, downstream of the automatic breaker (inside red rubber boots).

I've never blown the fuse so I guess I forget about it, but it is something Ron should move to the top of the suspect list. It's on the heavy orange wire on mine, over the battery box.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:34 AM   #10
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
I am leaving shortly to retrieve the Monty. Still not raining, so I may just pull it home where I have more tools and work on it on the driveway. Also, if I need parts, I can get them near work tomorrow. I will let you know how I make out. Thanks for the great input. Hope it leads me to output.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:59 AM   #11
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Ron,
Be sure to check that fuse first. It is usually the culprit!!
Bingo
Old 06-25-2008, 02:33 PM   #12
Ms McGyver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8531
Those fuses are called "short stop fuses" and there are two of them. Our unit takes 50 amp fuses and they are only available at RV or specialty electronics dealers. WHEN not if, you replace them, pick up a few extra. As DH says, "they aren't going to blow when you can get a replacement easily".
Ms McGyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 03:00 PM   #13
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Lisa, Are you confusing the slide circuit breaker vs the landing pad fuse? My 2955RL has one 40 amp blade fuse in line with the landing pad motor. Other models have a 30 amp blade fuse. I have read on this forum of 2 fuses/circuit breakers in parallel on the 4 slide units for the slides. But have never heard of 2 fuses for the landing pads. It is easy to get the two confused, as there has been a lot of issues with both on the forum.
Bob
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 03:24 PM   #14
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Well, you're not gonna' believe it. I went out, and sure enough, there was a 30 amp fuse (round) in line just above the battery. Right where Brad and Bingo said it was. I took it out and - yes - it was blown. Went to Ace Hardware - only had up to 25 amp. Tractor Supply was showing me an assortment with (1) 30 amp included. Finally found a pack of five - cause you know they go out when you're 100 miles from the nearest store. Put the new fuse in and it worked. Thanks to all. When I first had the problem with the landing gear it was intermittent. I would hand crank and then it would struggle and take off. Last time must have blown the fuse. Fortunately, I got the new motor, put it in and then it wouldn't run because the fuse was blown. Root cause - bad motor blew fuse. I should be good to go. Thanks again.
Old 06-25-2008, 04:13 PM   #15
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Ron, you might think about replacing that fuse with an automatic reset breaker. Go to

Please use the "short form" to post long links. Thank you. RVWheels

Ozz's fixes

I think you will agree that "Ozz's fixes" is MUCH shorter than the way you had it listed.
Thanks, RVWheels

and check it out.
This was Ozz's fix and it works great. I was starting to blow fuses and followed Ozz's suggestion and have no problems since.
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 05:01 PM   #16
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
C'mon Jack, you are trying to make it far too easy. If everyone puts in the breakers, we won't be able to tell them about one of the easiest fixes there is out there. ........and this easy fix can relly be used to our advantage at times. We can fiddle around for hours then put the fuse in and tell DW, there I did it, aren't you glad you married such a mechanically and electrically astute fix-it-your-selfer!!! Of course we should never tell them that 99% of the time the cause of the fuse blowing was that same mechanically and electrically astute break-it-your-selfer. Ha Ha!!!
Bingo
Old 06-25-2008, 09:08 PM   #17
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

C'mon Jack, you are trying to make it far too easy. If everyone puts in the breakers, we won't be able to tell them about one of the easiest fixes there is out there. ........and this easy fix can relly be used to our advantage at times. We can fiddle around for hours then put the fuse in and tell DW, there I did it, aren't you glad you married such a mechanically and electrically astute fix-it-your-selfer!!! Of course we should never tell them that 99% of the time the cause of the fuse blowing was that same mechanically and electrically astute break-it-your-selfer. Ha Ha!!!
Bingo
You're right Bingo,I never thought about that.Ha!

I am still trying to figure out what the short form for the above mention link means.

JJackflash,
I copied the information for you from the GEEK SQUAD thread to help explain what a "short form" link is.

When you are posting a link to another site please do not post any link that is more than half a page wide. Long links cause some systems to have to scroll to read the thread.

Here is the coding to use to post a link. If the link is a short one then this process will work just fine. BUT if the link is more than a half page wide please use the following code.

Then post your SHORT link title here.

Long links will be altered by making them no longer than half a page wide. This means that after altering the links may not work exactly as expected. So please adhere to policy stated.

If you have questions or problems please contact an Administrator or Moderator for assistance.

Thank you,

RVWheels

Old 06-26-2008, 01:08 AM   #18
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Jack -

I didn't have any problem until the motor started going. I probably won't even remember where that fuse is by the next time I need to change it. I would push the landing gear switch and the motor wouldn't move. I would hand crank a short amount, hit the switch, and then it would start slow and then work fine. Then it finally stopped and my arms got bigger. Managed to get the new motor through my extended warranty, so I'm happy now. Had never used that warranty up until now.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:26 AM   #19
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Good, I am glad it worked out Ron.
If I ever had to hand crank the legs I think I'd grab the first young kid that walked by.Ha!
Jack
Old 06-26-2008, 04:48 PM   #20
Ms McGyver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8531
I may be confusing the two, but in either case, he's got it fixed and it was his fuses.
Ms McGyver is offline   Reply With Quote