Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 11-17-2019, 06:00 PM   #21
cpaulsen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18275
Dish for tv...….Verizon for internet

Old 11-17-2019, 08:23 PM   #22
PeteandJoan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17905
I have used Dish Network for about 12-13 yrs. Started with a dish on a tripod but got a Tailgater in 2011(?) when they first became available and just replaced it last week with another King Tailgater #4900. I was very concerned about how long of a cable I could use because had been told only 35'-50' was max depending on model. Just hooked it up today using 75' (a 50' + 25') and it works perfectly. Paid about $300 on Amazon with free shipping. Direct TV is not HD using portable Satellite. I use "chat" online to change locals as we move around. Several portable satellite options out there. Just research ....it can get really confusing .
6-pt Hydraulic leveling
PeteandJoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 10:36 PM   #23
barryn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13517
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryn View Post
WE use Roko on hotspot for movies, which will use up 2 Gig per movie. For TV we use DirecTV on a Travelers Dish, and we have two reasons we are doing this, so one is for if the signal is blocked we have 100' of coax to play with and the other is for when we sale the RV and buy something else we don't have to purchase another dish for 2k. On top of all of this if you need to work on it , the dish is at ground level. see Picture below. I call it Dish on a Dolly. LOL
The dish is HD for Smart TV. GREAT picture
Would down grade picture to a King Dome, but WHY, I have a smart TV with 4K and the picture is GREAT for ball games and movies. Internet we hotspot with Verizon, pay bills and plot our next move and e-mail. We place the "Dolly on a Dish" on a carryall when traveling. Sets up in 3 mins. And your watching the weather channel.
Attached Images

barryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 04:42 AM   #24
jfaberna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13909
One observation about video over a Hotspot on Verizon.

I have the cheapest Unlimited Data that Verizon offers. About $30 more than before. The Hotspot data rate get's throttled to a very low rate after a short time so streaming a FireTV or Apple TV becomes a problem.

However, if you watch on your phone it magically doesn't throttle. So my solution was to get a $29 cable that connects my phone to the TV (USB-C to HDMI). I bought one that also has a place to plug in the charger at the same time so I could watch a NHL game for hours and still have my phone battery charged when I'm done.

So I've eliminated all satellite TV at home and in the RV. My TV service everywhere is Youtube.TV. It gives me HDTV on all the channels we care about either on my internet at home, WiFi, or Verizon via the phone. Just not Hotspot.

FYI I've found the sequence of plugging this up is important. USB-C and charger first, then phone and finally TV. Not sure why but if you don't the charger is not recognized.
jfaberna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 06:18 AM   #25
MidMOTraveler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20688
Mikendebbie, Sorry for the late reply we’re n Mexico for the winter and don’t check in as much.
On the Dish app there’s the manage your account page that says locate. With location service turned on on phone it pin points you and says the locals you’ll be getting.
I have had to use the chat feature 2 times but all the others just came up.
Using an I phone with the app don’t know if that matters.
2017 F450 DRW KR 4x4
MidMOTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 02:15 PM   #26
crewmember

M.O.C. #20141
Thanks for the info about Mobile internet. We just got back from 5 weeks on the road and campgrounds from Tennessee to New Mexico and all across Texas. I would say out of 20+ campgrounds only two had anything I would even call "wifi" or internet. My Verizon phone acts as very slow hotspot. But I try and work from the road and find it all but impossible with the lousy internet. We've been looking for a solution.

We did add a Dish
with the cable connecting to RV this time and it was wonderful. Worked everywhere, was worth it. I confess, we are big TV in the evening watchers.
crewmember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 02:54 PM   #27
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
Quote:
Originally Posted by crewmember View Post
Thanks for the info about Mobile internet. We just got back from 5 weeks on the road and campgrounds from Tennessee to New Mexico and all across Texas. I would say out of 20+ campgrounds only two had anything I would even call "wifi" or internet. My Verizon phone acts as very slow hotspot. But I try and work from the road and find it all but impossible with the lousy internet. We've been looking for a solution.

We did add a Dish
with the cable connecting to RV this time and it was wonderful. Worked everywhere, was worth it. I confess, we are big TV in the evening watchers.
if you look though the post I found a solution to RV unlimited internet for 30 a month. works at my house and cell service is not very good here. I was Able to stream from all 3 TV's, using amazon fire sticks, streaming ATT TV ,Netflix, PLEX
2018 3920fb 2020 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax, 10 speed Allison. LB SRW, Firestone air bags with Airlift wireless onboard compressor. Anderson Ultimate Hitch. MX4 folding cover. 50gal titan in bed transfer tank. Onan 6500 lp genset installed by me ! Had: 2 HF 3500 Inverters with Parallel Kit
Last2Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 05:30 AM   #28
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
We've used both Direct and Dish with mediocre results on both likely due to RV cabling. I don't know why they have multiple cable inputs when they all go into a big splitter then one cable to each TV and then another splitter at the tv. The satellites work better if I run a cable thru the window to by-pass splitters but who wants to do that. I read where Dish and Direct are going to merge because so many are cutting the cable. Stream is the future in TV. All the cable companies are now offering stream packages. Hot spot works good but you need an unlimited plan as video eats up data. We had Comcast run cable Internet into our winter site and we share it with our daughter next door. Netflix, Prime, ATT-TV all work great, and cheaper and better than either satellite service. Also we got almost nothing OTA at our location. I noticed in FL last winter that some CG's are using third party WiFi at extra cost that is good for streaming. Our experience was cost was reasonable and performance was superior. We will use that when in Venice this coming Feb.
Anyone want a King Tailgater and two Wally's? Cheap. PM me.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 01:33 PM   #29
Richcart
Established Member

M.O.C. #22427
hot spot and Youtube TV

I researched mobile hot spots on the Mobile Internet site, in fact I joined to get their latest news. Anyway, because I still work remotely I have a Verizon unlimited but 720 streaming only for $65 month and ATT that gives 4K unlimited for $60 month. Youtube TV had 1 channel Hulu didn't so I went with them but both are $50 month. I haven't had any issues traveling, one or both find good coverage. When I retire next year I'll drop one of them.

The Verizon plan is no longer available but ATT plan is, through a 3rd party reseller. The new Verizon unlimited plans actually have limits.
Richcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 03:35 PM   #30
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richcart View Post
I researched mobile hot spots on the Mobile Internet site, in fact I joined to get their latest news. Anyway, because I still work remotely I have a Verizon unlimited but 720 streaming only for $65 month and ATT that gives 4K unlimited for $60 month. Youtube TV had 1 channel Hulu didn't so I went with them but both are $50 month. I haven't had any issues traveling, one or both find good coverage. When I retire next year I'll drop one of them.

The Verizon plan is no longer available but ATT plan is, through a 3rd party reseller. The new Verizon unlimited plans actually have limits.
Look into Togo unlimited internet for $30. Just checked streaming at 1080
2018 3920fb 2020 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax, 10 speed Allison. LB SRW, Firestone air bags with Airlift wireless onboard compressor. Anderson Ultimate Hitch. MX4 folding cover. 50gal titan in bed transfer tank. Onan 6500 lp genset installed by me ! Had: 2 HF 3500 Inverters with Parallel Kit
Old 12-18-2019, 01:45 PM   #31
Rod Spohn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24052
Smart TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaberna View Post
One observation about video over a Hotspot on Verizon.

I have the cheapest Unlimited Data that Verizon offers. About $30 more than before. The Hotspot data rate get's throttled to a very low rate after a short time so streaming a FireTV or Apple TV becomes a problem.

However, if you watch on your phone it magically doesn't throttle. So my solution was to get a $29 cable that connects my phone to the TV (USB-C to HDMI). I bought one that also has a place to plug in the charger at the same time so I could watch a NHL game for hours and still have my phone battery charged when I'm done.

So I've eliminated all satellite TV at home and in the RV. My TV service everywhere is Youtube.TV. It gives me HDTV on all the channels we care about either on my internet at home, WiFi, or Verizon via the phone. Just not Hotspot.

FYI I've found the sequence of plugging this up is important. USB-C and charger first, then phone and finally TV. Not sure why but if you don't the charger is not recognized.
We've had our 2019 for about 6 month and have wondered from the start why they do not put smart TVs in these trailers. I think I need to find the correct size smart TV to fit the opening at least for the main TV. Besides cost is there a reason the use old school TVs?
Rod Spohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 06:17 PM   #32
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Spohn View Post
We've had our 2019 for about 6 month and have wondered from the start why they do not put smart TVs in these trailers. I think I need to find the correct size smart TV to fit the opening at least for the main TV. Besides cost is there a reason the use old school TVs?
Nope..
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 06:35 PM   #33
jetskier
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22360
Quote:

Mainly because Jensen is not a "Smart" brand.
Old 01-02-2020, 09:02 AM   #34
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Quote:
I'm sure their reason was to save a buck, but the truth is you're better off without one. I had the same question when we got our new unit and then did some research. Turns out the Roku and Fire sticks are better. The processors are faster and they update automatically. You're better off with a dumb tv.

I have a four year old smart tv at home with a Fire stick in it because Samson doesn't offer the apps I want and Amazon does. We are so happy with streaming that we cut the cable and sent the satellite junk back. You can now get streaming packages with all the good channels for 1/3 the cost of sat or cable. Netflix has a lot of content for a good price and Amazon Prime streaming comes with the deal and you get free shipping on all purchases. I also hear Disney has a great streaming package but I haven't seen it.

Anyway, be glad they didn't stick you with a not so smart TV.

Old 01-30-2020, 07:27 AM   #35
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
Just read that the TOGO unlimited being offered by ATT is going away... so that awesome option is dead. As for satellite... we considered that at first but then with rapidly dropping cost of internet data options coming at us fast and furious we are now considering going full on streaming(Amazon Prime and Netflix) and divert the money in our budget from satellite to additional VZ data and/or ATT data (redundancy is your friend). Still have the antenna for local stuff as needed. YMMV as they say. If we find ourselves in areas with no internet connectivity, DVDs, other movies stored on our 1TB hard drive and good old fashion card playing will be our amusements during indoor evenings and down time.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 07:39 AM   #36
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggarView View Post
Just read that the TOGO unlimited being offered by ATT is going away... so that awesome option is dead. As for satellite... we considered that at first but then with rapidly dropping cost of internet data options coming at us fast and furious we are now considering going full on streaming(Amazon Prime and Netflix) and divert the money in our budget from satellite to additional VZ data and/or ATT data (redundancy is your friend). Still have the antenna for local stuff as needed. YMMV as they say. If we find ourselves in areas with no internet connectivity, DVDs, other movies stored on our 1TB hard drive and good old fashion card playing will be our amusements during indoor evenings and down time.
yeah I just found out about TOGO too, already contacted Winegard, they provided the information to unlock the unit to use with additional SIM cards. I still have plenty of time until the plan runs out but still sucks. Once it expires I will see what's out there, at least I can use other SIM cards in the unit but it won't be at that price. I run a PLEX Intranet in the coach for just those occasions where I have no service, works great. I always try to have options

I have the ATT unlimited on my phone and also have ATT now streaming service, I can stream that with no data use at all might need to go back to that, connecting the phone to the TV directly, that works ok just canst change the channel without getting up and using the phone. But at least I can stream data free all I want with no caps on the service, ATT calls it sponsored data.

Hopefully by the end of the year there will be some new options as far as using the TOGO, if not oh well....

Tony
Old 06-29-2020, 08:55 AM   #37
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Just got the Winegard Dish Playmaker Dual, with two receivers. Used it for the first time, and it worked perfectly. I think out the door for the unit and two receivers was $650.00. What's nice is Dish has a pay as you need it. It's by a month to month basis. The basic fee, which has a ton of channels is like $40.00 and it goes up from there.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:31 AM   #38
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
i personally like my travler on top. got tried of trying to locate the darn satellite with a dish. and of course there is the on air tv antenna that still works great.

as for internet, i use the campground and my verizon phone. I don't do movies or stream.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 05:09 AM   #39
barryn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13517
Quote:
The dish is HD for Smart TV. GREAT picture
Would down grade picture to a King Dome, but WHY, I have a smart TV with 4K and the picture is GREAT for ball games and movies. Internet we hotspot with Verizon, pay bills and plot our next move and e-mail. We place the "Dolly on a Dish" on a carryall when traveling. Sets up in 3 mins. And your watching the weather channel.
"Well", I'm DONE with Montana's and 5th wheels all together!!! I have moved on to Newmar Motor Coach 3710. In motion sat. Living the good life and not looking back. See you on the road.
barryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 06:22 AM   #40
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Quote:
"Well", I'm DONE with Montana's and 5th wheels all together!!! I have moved on to Newmar Motor Coach 3710. In motion sat. Living the good life and not looking back. See you on the road.
Wow, all to get good TV?