Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2011, 08:59 AM   #21
AJH
Established Member

M.O.C. #11247
Thanks everyone for the information.
To what did you mount the hitch to. The only cross beam I can see under the rig is the one that supports the rear stablizers. Is this the beam that everyone is useing or is there another support beam under the belly cover?

Also The front of my Ford F350 has a hitch connection. I think its 2 inch. would this work to carry a scooter rack?

AJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:52 PM   #22
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
I too have been researching a bike rake for the Monty and I think I'm going to get a 2" Receiver fabed to mount on the Pin Box. I've seen several and talked to several with a similar setup and am told the bikes don't move and aren't as dirty as those on the back. A litter higher to put the bike on, but I think the two of us can do it, plus the newer bikes are much lighter than the ones I remember as a kid. As for putting them on the front of the TV, I've read posts where they interferred with cooling so I want to stay away from there. Thought about the heavier 2" receiver on the back, but think the pin box will be our best bet, plus having a long bed I have the clearance.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:13 PM   #23
afzimm
Established Member

M.O.C. #10901
I added this "patio" deck to the back of our 5th wheel. It also has a 2" receiver for pulling boat or trailer. I used 2x6 steel tubing which has 1/4" walls,it is very strong and will hold hundreds of pounds easily. I drilled holes in the main frame Ibeams and mounted the tubing with 5/8" bolts and lock washers, 3 bolts on each side. The decking is galvanized and very light but strong. Now we can carry, generator, coolers, motorbikes, bicycles etc. back there. I just use rubber tie downs and alot of them to make sure the load is secure.The 2" receiver tube is about 5 feet long, it's welded to the underside of the deck frame at the back and welded to the crossmember under the rear of the Montana. The tubes were bolted to the frame with 30" of length held against the trailer's frame. The 5/8" bolts were spaced about 8 inches apart. I attached the decking by welding supports under the patio's frame and kept the decking recessed down about 3 inches, this provides a little insurance in case something comes loose the 3" wall may keep it from sliding back and falling off. Al Z

afzimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 01:51 AM   #24
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
i have a 3150 too and have had many of the same questions.
1. i did talk to mor ryde in indiana and they can modify your hitch in back.....for about $600. I was thinking about putting a motorscotter in back (weight about 500 pounds)
2. yes there is a adapter that adds a few inches.
3. we carry our bike in back of the trailer, as well, at times, with a 2 inch adapter we carry the bike up on the front of the truck...wiggles alot though.
4. just a thought...in canada i have seen a number of 5th wheels with them welding a bike rack up on their hitch...i guess you have to be young to put them up there though.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 07:32 AM   #25
Elevator Chuck

M.O.C. #19634
Send a message via AIM to Elevator Chuck Send a message via MSN to Elevator Chuck
Are we better off to mount the bikes to the front of the truck or add a rack to the back of the camper?
Old 04-02-2017, 11:27 AM   #26
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
I have been hauling trail 90's and scooters for 6 years now and the only way i feel comfortable doing that is with my Draw-tite FRONT 2in receiver and motorcycle carrier as it nice and stable and I can See it as I am driving I just never liked the Idea of hauling my trail 90 or scooters on the back where they bounce around and I cannot see what the heck is going on back there just my experience here is a pic of mine:
Old 04-05-2017, 09:05 AM   #27
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskyjimmy View Post
I have been hauling trail 90's and scooters for 6 years now and the only way i feel comfortable doing that is with my Draw-tite FRONT 2in receiver and motorcycle carrier as it nice and stable and I can See it as I am driving I just never liked the Idea of hauling my trail 90 or scooters on the back where they bounce around and I cannot see what the heck is going on back there just my experience here is a pic of mine:
Wow. I would't do that. You are blocking a substantial amount of cooling air entering your grill. '03-'07 Silverados/Sierras had cooling issues under extreme conditions anyway, why tempt fate?
Bad Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 11:19 AM   #28
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Sorry not true ,I have been told that SOOOO many times the Only Duramax that really had cooling issues was the 05 LLY Duramax for 1 year because of the turbo elbow inlet restriction(easy fix) I have been doing this for 6 years of Fulltiming with my 04 LB7 and the greatly improved 07 LBZ Duramax I have now never a overheating issue in 90 degree weather and going up steep grades there is plenty of air going to the trans Cooler and Radiator just do not put a cover on the Scooter or Trail 90 when driving then you WILL have air flow problems, the pic is deceiving if I took the pic from the front you would think different also keep your cooling stacks clean and on GM trucks they have weak Trans cooler lines that fail so replace them with after market lines like I did and Rock and Roll
Old 04-05-2017, 04:41 PM   #29
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskyjimmy View Post
Sorry not true ,I have been told that SOOOO many times the Only Duramax that really had cooling issues was the 05 LLY Duramax for 1 year because of the turbo elbow inlet restriction(easy fix) I have been doing this for 6 years of Fulltiming with my 04 LB7 and the greatly improved 07 LBZ Duramax I have now never a overheating issue in 90 degree weather and going up steep grades there is plenty of air going to the trans Cooler and Radiator just do not put a cover on the Scooter or Trail 90 when driving then you WILL have air flow problems, the pic is deceiving if I took the pic from the front you would think different also keep your cooling stacks clean and on GM trucks they have weak Trans cooler lines that fail so replace them with after market lines like I did and Rock and Roll
While you are correct about the LLY being the series with the cooling problems, I don't believe it was the turbo inlet (not even sure how that would be possible) here is a link to the Diesel Place. LOTS of unhappy LLY owners.
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-...-problems.html

But glad to hear you haven't experienced any issues. I have an LMM, so most of the issues with the earlier generations were fixed.
Bad Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:06 PM   #30
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
a lot folks with 05 LLY's have helped solve the issue with putting the less restrictive LBZ Turbo mouthpiece in it's place and a aftermarket air intake or modify the Existing one to get more cool air http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/04...g-problem.html but then some folks never had a problem with their LLY overheating and some folks Never solved it seems to be Random but other than the 05 LLY it has not been much of a Issue on the Duramax as they made improvements to the Turbo Mouthpiece, radiator and fan etc.. on the 06 and up D Max's and I have owned 2 and have friends with 01's all the way to newer D Max's BUT make no mistake I have been up some Nasty Grades in Colorado and Utah in Hot weather and My LBZ and my old LB7 did get close a few times to the Danger Zone but the bottom line is a scooter on the front has made No difference in cooling on mine,I love my Duramax's but I would not buy a 05 LLY it was a funky year for them
Old 04-05-2017, 10:15 PM   #31
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I think the LLY was actually made for 1 1/2 years. I had a 2004. I think it was an LLY, but not sure. It definitely was the one with overheating issues. It would have been fine in about 45 states - just not AZ, UT, NM, NV where I live. If you were under 100 degrees or so it was a little hot and relatively flat, no probs. If it was over 85-90 and you had any hills it would get hot. One time driving thru corner of AZ into Vegas, it was 115 or so. That area is ALMOST flat. Every little rise of maybe 30 feet over a 1/8 mile stretch would raise the temp to near HOT.
I like the truck, but got tired of worrying about it. I now have a 2012. I have driven it 65,000 miles and one hot day the temp went up about 15-20 degrees on a hill. All the rest of the time, I saw the needle move about 3-5 degrees. Never anything worse.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 01:03 PM   #32
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
How long is the frame warranty? My Montana has a factory installed bike rack that has 250lb capacity so I know High country can handle the weight. I am about to order/install an add on swivel wheel motorcycle carrier that removes the bike rack and would add 85 lbs to the rear frame. It would also take my GCWR up by 885 lbs but I am still well within weight hauling specs on the Montana Weight Plate.
jameswbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:45 PM   #33
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
Our 2010 3000RK came with the 1 1/2 receiver and we put a Swagman 2-bike carrier on it. Made 2 trips across the US and 5 trips from Oregon to Mesa without a problem of bouncing or coming loose. The Swagman has 2 l-shape pcs that can be attached to fit a 2" receiver.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:23 AM   #34
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
I have a '14 3150RL. Had a hitch shop fab up a 2" receiver for me. Hitch is "bolted" on with 8-1/2" bolts. NOT welded on. My fresh water tank is in the rear and if service is needed I can un-bolt the hitch. plus, bolts are stronger than welding.

I have double towed for years with it and not a single issue, the heaviest trailer was about 3500 lbs with 350 lbs on the pin.

2 of 8 bolts holding hitch to frame. I have seen the cheep bolt on ones available (so called universal) hitches fail).

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:51 AM   #35
BiigDaddy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18932
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswbarton View Post
How long is the frame warranty? My Montana has a factory installed bike rack that has 250lb capacity so I know High country can handle the weight. I am about to order/install an add on swivel wheel motorcycle carrier that removes the bike rack and would add 85 lbs to the rear frame. It would also take my GCWR up by 885 lbs but I am still well within weight hauling specs on the Montana Weight Plate.

I had called the factory and spoke with someone there regarding the factory hitch that is an option on my 2017 3710FL (an option I do not have unfortunately). I inquired if I had my purchasing dealer install that very hitch would it void my warranty? She told me it would indeed void my warranty. She also said that Lippert is very generous in repairing any frame cracks/issues/etc. even after the frame warranty had expired, so it's also not prudent to wait until after the factory warranty is expired either.

It sounds like a bunch of malarkey to me....
BiigDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote