Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2005, 02:36 PM   #1
skyguy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #940
Send a message via AIM to skyguy
Nightmare!

All you folks will love this one....

I took the Monty into the dealer Tuesday for a couple simple things - we have been having propane leak problems around the tanks, and I decided it was time to turn this over to the experts and let them handle it. In the meantime, I said, check out the water heater, because I even replaced the electric elements, and it still won't heat electrically. (Yes, I know all about the outside switch, and the element burns up in 10 seconds, blah blah blah.)

Well they called today and said they couldn't find the leak - I thought that was strange because we did the soapy water trick, and there were bubbles coming up. Second, the replaced the element that was bad - I thought that was strange because the element was new, and I was REAL careful to make sure I had a water heater full of water before i turned on the electric switch.

Ok - so I go to pick it up, the good news is, I live about 10 minutes from the dealer...

As I back up to the hitch, I notice I got a brand new level on the hitch tongue - hmm, says I, I didn't order that. As I am hitching everything up, one of the guys from the dealer shows up with some other folks, and then asks me about the level... I says it's pretty hard not to notice that as you're backing up... then he asks me if I noticed the new snaps all around the front of the 5er. Now I didn't notice those, but wasn't exactly looking for them either!!

Turns out... they get two Montana's in for service yesterday, and get the work orders backwards! Sooooo, now I got: a level I didn't need, a front skirt I don't need, AND, new brake shoes all around, which I will admit it looks like I do need, but didn't ask for, and was planning on replacing those this summer anyway!!

PLUS.... I am pretty sure they would find a leak in the propane if they check the right rig, and I still don't know about the water heater!!

But... at least we're not going anywhere right away...

But - turns out the other couple is headed for Alaska next Wednesday (I am SOOO JEALOUS!!) - they had never heard of the Owner's Forums, so I go them going on that, and I hope that this is the worst of their entire trip!!!

More tomorrow when we shake this all out....

skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 02:46 PM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
GOODNESS! Tell us you are not paying for the brake shoes or the level!

That is a good story!

GOODNESS!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 03:14 PM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Now, if I could just find out who this dealer is and manage to get ours in there just as someone else orders new Dexter axles with aluminum wheels and new tires for theirs, I'd be happy!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 11:04 PM   #4
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
If this story didn't involve propane leaks, it would be pleasantly funny. The way it turned out, it's pretty scarey. I'd hate to make a trip to Alaska with leaking propane tanks. But I'd love a new level. You'll just have to make a trip to Alaska so you can use that new skirt. Judy
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 10:58 AM   #5
skyguy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #940
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CountryGuy

GOODNESS! Tell us you are not paying for the brake shoes or the level!
GOODNESS!
Turns out I get to pay for the shoes all the way around, less 10% (their usual good customer discount) so that's $160, but don't pay the labor, and I needed shoes this year anyway, so I guess that's OK. (Hey I got outta putting them on myself!) Apparently laws for auto places don't apply to RV places, I'm told....
Old 04-21-2005, 10:59 AM   #6
skyguy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #940
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jrgwdenner

If this story didn't involve propane leaks, it would be pleasantly funny. The way it turned out, it's pretty scarey. I'd hate to make a trip to Alaska with leaking propane tanks. But I'd love a new level. You'll just have to make a trip to Alaska so you can use that new skirt. Judy
Judy - unfortunately it's the other couple going to Alaska. I wish it was us, but we've got to wait a few (not many) years yet!
Al
Old 04-21-2005, 11:04 AM   #7
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
You know, I think that this sort of thing happens more than we might think—in more than just rv’s. At least you got the break shoes at no labor cost. That has to be worth a chunk at today’s labor rates! Hope they get that leak fixed!

I wish I could get mine confused with someone who was having slide toppers put on theirs!
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 11:05 AM   #8
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Bummer on having to pay, but, then, you do have new brakes, safety matters.

Did they find the gas leak?????
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 01:53 PM   #9
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
well, if they're going to screw something up...atleast it was in your favor!
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 12:06 PM   #10
skyguy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #940
Update...

Yes, they did find a gas leak, once they checked the right 5er! See, I told you there was a leak!! Right where I said it was.

And they also figured out that the electric part of the Hot Water heater is not geeting power - there is a break somewhere between the breaker panel and the unit. I told them that's far enough - I'll drop the under belly one of these days (if it ever gets nice on a weekend...) and track it down.

And I got 4 pairs of shoes for $160, plus they checked the bearings while they had the wheels off, replacing two seals. I had asked them the charge to repack the bearings - $170, which I passed on. So they checked them for free too.

Other than the hassle of two trips to the dealer, and the giant hassle of the street in front of the dealer being torn up for fire hydrant installation (great to find that out AFTER you're headed down the street to get there, back to backing 101) I'd say I got out pretty good.

And we're still on speaking terms, on both sides.

And you should see the NEW repair tag system they started using that day
Old 04-25-2005, 01:21 PM   #11
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
The sad thing about this guys is the service provided by the dealer. I think I would take my new brake shoes and run. What if they had to fix something really important....who knows what my happen. These are the kind of dealers who give good RV guys a bad rap
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote