Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2004, 11:36 AM   #1
Montana_107
Established Member

M.O.C. #107
Slide out aluminum splitting

On the bottom of my slide out where the aluminum curls it is not very well supported or supported at all. During my driving down the road I could watch if flex or vibrate. So I took a 1 1/2" round dowel rod or whatever you can use to work, it was about 6ft long and layed it in the curl and glued it in place and let it dry for a couple of days. Then on the bottom I drilled small screw holes and added sheet metal screws into place to help hold everything together.
On the two bolts which adjust the slide-out gear rack I put ty-wraps around the board and tied them to the bolts, this held everything solid.
This condition was causing cracks in the aluminum and it was starting to split up the side, so I drilled small holes to stop the splitting and glued the cracks together. (Round holes ahead of the crack will stop splitting it caught quick enough).
Now I no longer have cracks, or flexing of the aluminum on the bottom of the slideout. Simple fix just had to figure out how to do it.
Only complaint is, should this condition be changed or caught at the factory, this is a poor quality or engineering item.
Had a lot of small minor fixes on this trailer, now it is in real good shape. I don't think I would like to do it again as I paid a lot of money for the trailer.
Good trailer now.
Hope this helps someone.

fknipfer

Montana_107 is offline   Reply With Quote