Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2008, 02:43 PM   #1
Allen in MT
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7615
Awning cleaner????

What is the best cleaner to get the brown stains off the awnings, Is the store bought stuff from RV dealers any better that dawn dish soap. The slide awnings are the worst after setting a summer in the hills and collecting rain water and pine needles. Yes every once in a while I have to hit the slide buttons to tighten the slide awnings to get the water off, but they still get awful dirty.
Allen

Allen in MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 04:05 PM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Had a Dometic rep give a briefing on cleaning the awnings. 1/4 cup household bleach, 1/4 cup liquid dishwashing soap to 5 gals of water. Spray on awning, liberally, roll up awning for 15 minutes, unroll and rinse awning, (may use soft bristle brush if needed).
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 04:09 PM   #3
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Dometic sales guy suggested using Dawn (or similar). The trick seems to be to get the cleaning solution on to the awning fabric, then roll up the awning wet and let it soak a while (1/2 hour of so), then unroll and rinse. You can unhook the awning support arms at the bottom, and let the awing hang right down against the side of the trailer to get at it better.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 04:12 PM   #4
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
One tip to remember. If you use bleach, make sure you are either wearing all white, or old clothes. Don't ask.
Bob
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 05:13 PM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I've used Dawn dish soap with great results. I'm not sure about the bleach. Seems to me that bleach could cause more problems than it cures.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 04:23 AM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I'm with Phil on this one. Read the same in a manual somewhere.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 07:01 AM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

Had a Dometic rep give a briefing on cleaning the awnings. 1/4 cup household bleach, 1/4 cup liquid dishwashing soap to 5 gals of water. Spray on awning, liberally, roll up awning for 15 minutes, unroll and rinse awning, (may use soft bristle brush if needed).
Phil is correct. This information came to us directly from Dometic just this past Friday. One addition was the worse the stain the longer you may want to leave the awning rolled up.

OntMont is correct also as that is what Dometic recommended last year.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 07:58 AM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
p.s., the reason for rolling the awning up is that what you spray on the top will transfer to the underside when you roll it up, so don't let it drip off, just spray it and roll it, ASAP.

Using a spray bottle that mists would help in spraying the underside before rollg it up.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 08:41 AM   #9
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
A good tool to use to do this would be a garden sprayer, pump type that many of us have, Just make sure it is a clean one and no fertilizer or pesticide residue in it. Or better yet, buy a new one....

BTW The dilution factor of bleach to water, with the above solution, is about 320:1. I would not worry about this small amount of bleach doing anything to the paint or graphics, or your clothes for that matter....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 09:34 AM   #10
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
Another reason for using some bleach is that it will prevent most of the mildew that forms on the awning.

Instead of using dish soap, I generally use Tide or similar soap.

Roy
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 02:04 PM   #11
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
A good product that I've found that works good is 4-U. It's good for lots of things from glass to engines. I use it to clean everything around the camper, does a super job. Use it on a lot of things around the house. It is a citric cleaner and will take wax off if you mix it a little strong. Kerry (most RV stores can get it thru their catalog)
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 02:35 PM   #12
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
We have had good luck using Tilex to get mildew and stains off the awning. I held my breath at first not knowing if it would damage the material but after quite a number of touch ups on multiple trailers we have not experienced any awning damage. Like using bleach, wear old clothing or be very careful not to get it on your favorite shirt.
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 03:50 PM   #13
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
I use Clorox Clen up spray and yes I have white spots on my jeans it works
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 02:29 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We had a very good seminar on cleaning the awning yesterday. Tilex was mentioned as well as diluted applications of bleach. The down side is the solution can get on the camper side walls and cause stains. Dawn sprayed on the awning then rolled up is still the suggested method. These seminbars are put on by the manufacturers of the various products and I do not understand why we would disregard them.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 04:37 AM   #15
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

These seminbars are put on by the manufacturers of the various products and I do not understand why we would disregard them.
Because, as evidenced by the threads on weights, many of our members know more than the manufacturers.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 06:09 PM   #16
MelsJoy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7085
Allen,
We used to live in WA state where dirt, pine needles, mold, & mildew are common stains on the awnings. We tried everything to clean it off including the manufacturers instructions, and could never quite get it all off.

A friend suggested we try to use Oxiclean so we did. And wow! It took all of the stains off the inside and outside of the awning with just using a car washing brush and a water hose! That's our story and we have stuck with it ever since. Give it a try, no muss, no fuss. And no bleach to have to deal with. Good luck.

Joy & Mel
MelsJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 02:02 AM   #17
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
I have always used the Thedford awning cleaner with great an fast results. But if I can use Dawn & water with the same results, I will try it. Hom much Dawn to water?
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote