Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2006, 12:50 PM   #1
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
back to the unpleasant subject of mice

We left our monty in Erie this winter and have visited her over the winter to make sure everything is okay. We had a mouse nest in our silverware drawer so I'm sure they are everywhere. Where do you think they get in? I thought it was where the slide goes out ( it is in now) because I saw alot of mouse poop there so I put a box of decon right there. Kenny kept telling me this unit was mouseproof(all sealed) but he is a city boy and he really doesn't get it about mice. I just HATE rodents.

kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 01:17 PM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I had a few mice get into my coach along the frame where the underbelly is screwed into the frame. The screws are approx. 5" apart and there is some play between them, actually enough play that I was able to get my arm in there. This spring I am going to use Darko tape to seal up all around the entire frame. They can also get in along the wheels, if you look where the shocks are attached to the frame you will see where there is more than enough room for them to get through. I also am planning on spraying expandable foam in every hole I can find. I caught 3 mice last summer, and after setting out traps, decon under the coach the problem seemed to be solved. I am very nervous for the end of March when I pull the coach out of the garage, I am really hoping that I do not find myself with another mouse problem.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 05:16 PM   #3
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
I used to have a little English mini car (MGB) that we would put in a warehouse to store for the winter. One spring the turn signals wouldn't work and Ken had to take apart the steering column to fix it - he found a mouse nest in there and they had ckewed on the wires.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:36 PM   #4
smc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3125
In our 2980RL, under the drawers we found a 2" hole that had been drilled. After plugging that we did not get any more mice in that area. Had to take the bottom drawer out and shine a flashlight in to find the hole. Might be one in yours.
smc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 01:33 AM   #5
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Thanks for the tip, I'll ask Ken to look for that. It was an odd place to find a nest because there was no food or anything to attract them.
Old 03-09-2006, 03:18 PM   #6
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
Look for my posts, under "Longwell". Some time ago I did a long post about mice, since I work for Terminix.
Basically you either seal EVERYTHING totally (VERY tough to do) or you trap the buggers.
(Sorry I couldn't find my earlier post tonight.)
Hope this helps.
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 05:31 AM   #7
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
KDEISS- Christa and I have our Montana parked in a grass field (pasture) next to our garage and home. I have never had one mouse inside.
The only places for the little critters to get in are from the wheels. The stands in front are two foot or so off the ground and the 50 amp rear socket is sealed.
I went to the hardward store and bought several feet of hardward cloth (small 1/4 square screen)
It was two foot wide and I cut it in three foot lengths. I curled it up between the tires and the frame. The little critters can get on the tire's to go over to the I beam, but the screen prevents them from getting to the I beam rail and compromising some of the gaps between the undercover. I think the total cost for the screen was about 20 bucks and I went around the edge of each piece with good old duct tape, so I wouldn't scratch myself or the Monty when I curled it up between the tire's and frame. THIS WILL DO THE JOB AND CHEAPLY... Or get a new Red Ryder and a chair and have your DW stand watch....... I think she will go for the Hardware Cloth don't you... ho ho ho

Later John H (aka Hemlockusa)
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 06:20 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Strange//Like hemlockusa we have never had a mice problem and we are in a rural area. We do however have many cats in the area, none of them ours, I do not like cats amd my guess is that the area is a huge resturants for them.We do however have a huge ant problem, those little grease ants or fire ants.they get in everywhere and nothing we do seems to get rid of them.. also hornets they love all the outside doors and hatches.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 11:21 AM   #9
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Last season my campsite sat right up against the edge of a field. I am pretty sure the reason I had that small mouse problem was because I was right there against all the tall grass and trees. I had the best view of the entire campground. Right out my back window was the field and then the river, you could see everything while sitting in my recliners. I gave that site up this year and chose one more towards the center of the campground. I was the only one last year who had mice so I figured it had to be the location. My friends in the campsite next to my new one has a cat, so I am hoping that he will keep all the mice away. =)
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 02:56 PM   #10
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
As far as ants go... Last spring we went to Venice, Fla. for a month and I noticed there was a white powder on the ground around alot of the campers wheels.A lady in the laundry room told me it was talcum powder and they put it there to keep the ants out and that it really works.When it rains they put down a new ring of powder as soon as it is dry out.Try it , what have you got to lose, powder is cheap.
Old 03-11-2006, 04:58 PM   #11
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Comet or Ajax works also. One of our favorite CG's has ants really bad and their is always the tell tell ring of Comet when someone leaves.
Happy trails..................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 12:32 AM   #12
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Hemlockusa

KDEISS- Christa and I have our Montana parked in a grass field (pasture) next to our garage and home. I have never had one mouse inside.
The only places for the little critters to get in are from the wheels. The stands in front are two foot or so off the ground and the 50 amp rear socket is sealed.
I went to the hardward store and bought several feet of hardward cloth (small 1/4 square screen)
It was two foot wide and I cut it in three foot lengths. I curled it up between the tires and the frame. The little critters can get on the tire's to go over to the I beam, but the screen prevents them from getting to the I beam rail and compromising some of the gaps between the undercover. I think the total cost for the screen was about 20 bucks and I went around the edge of each piece with good old duct tape, so I wouldn't scratch myself or the Monty when I curled it up between the tire's and frame. THIS WILL DO THE JOB AND CHEAPLY... Or get a new Red Ryder and a chair and have your DW stand watch....... I think she will go for the Hardware Cloth don't you... ho ho ho

Later John H (aka Hemlockusa)
Thanks for the tip on the hardware cloth.I am going to give it a shot

Ken Deiss
Old 03-12-2006, 05:07 AM   #13
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
My Mounaineer 5vr sits in the building next to my workshop.I keep the traps loaded with peanut butter and paper plates with poison pellets and some water in a low dish. I usually get quite a few through the late fall and early winter and then they are gone. None dead in traps and no more pellets missing.You have to do what works best, remember those critters like to winter camp.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 03:28 AM   #14
mjflora
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5556
I was told at one time to use fabric softener sheets in all the drawers and cupboards, etc. The mice don't like the smell!?!?? Anyway, I tried it after a mouse problem last summer and it seems to have worked! Go figure!
mjflora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 06:06 AM   #15
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
We use the fabric sheets for mice too. Also we have one of those electronic things that plug into electric. So far we have not had a mouse problem. We live in a rural area and is parked in our yard, near the driveway. We don't keep any food in there when not using Monty. Unless it is in a tight storage container.
I don't like mice either! Or ants.
For ants we got some of those little round post things you plug into the ground. The ants think it is food and they take it back to their nest. Gets rid of them by killing all and the ones in their nest. We had some really big ant hills and it got rid of those.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote