Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2006, 05:26 AM   #1
rak
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5481
Exhaust breaks

I am thinking about putting an exhaust break on my F350. Would like to know what you all think about them.
Thanks,
Dick

rak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 06:21 AM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Dick,
Those that have them swear by them. Those that don't, wish they had them. The older Ford diesels ( I don't know if yours would qualify) really need something to hold them back besides using the foot brake. As you probably know, when accelerating, the diesel engine has tremendous compression which helps with its power, but when you remove your foot from the accelerator, there is very little compression to hold the vehicle back. Oh, there's some but not near enough when pulling these big rigs. I have the Banks Exhaust Brake and it really has saved me a lot of wear and tear on my brakes. There are a lot of good exhaust brakes out there, PAC Brake for one. I did a lot of research before I bought mine in 2002 and although it cost a little more, I went with the Banks because I had already had the Banks Power Pack installed. I don't believe you can go wrong with whatever exhaust brake you decide to have installed.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 06:22 AM   #3
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Hey Dick,
This is another one of those topics that is very controversial, and has been discussed at length fairly recently, maybe in the last couple of months. Some people like them, some don't. Some have had bad experiences with extensive engine damage attributed to the exhaust brake. Some have had no problems at all. If I remember right most of the problems were with one particular brand, I don't remember which one. I personally have used them with automatic transmissions, and if I still had an automatic, I would have the exhaust brake. The newer automatics though, are designed differently with built in technology to compensate for slowing on downgrades. Some of the others will elaborate on this, some that know firsthand. Sorry if I've been no help.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 07:13 AM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Dick,

I'm surprised you feel the need to have one with that 05. My Torgueshift - tow command system has never left me with white knuckles and I ascend some pretty good grades here in Colorado.

Honestly without having one I couldn't give you an opinion. I don't believe I need one, but then again I don't have gauges so I may not know I need one .
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 07:46 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dick, I have little doubt that a fullblown exhaust brake would give you the best possible stopping power on a steep downhill grade. But, like Brad, I've never felt the need with my 2005 Ford PSD and TorqueShift, even going down a 14% 2 mile long grade on Utah 12 earlier this year. Besides the TorqShift doing the downshifting for you, the turbo on the 6.0 has variable geometry vanes. When you are off throttle those vanes close, causing an exhaust backpressure similar to an exhaust brake. I don't think as much exhaust backpressure is created as there is with a true exhaust brake but it's plenty good enough for our 23,260 GCW. But, again, I do think a true exhaust brake would give you even more braking. I just don't feel a need.

For those with the new LBZ Duramax, I understand it now has the variable geometry vanes in the turbo, too, although I've only read that and don't have firsthand knowledge.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 08:25 AM   #6
rak
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5481

Sorry folks, I forgot to do a search on this topic before posting. Some day I will learn.
Dick
rak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 09:11 AM   #7
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Dick - not a problem asking the question again, as I see it we have so many new members that topics always come back up. PLUS - there is always the possibility of new(er) information being available. Now, having said that -- from your signature we can't tell if you have automatic or stick, if automatic you might also consider the need for the transmission lockup / higher pressure controller to take advantage of that extra braking. Might not be needed with the newer TorqueShift (my experience was 03 and 04 models) but exhaust brakes work best at higher RPMs; so if your transmission (torque converter) won't lock up in 2nd or normal Drive (i.e. once it slows to a lower RPM and you want higher RPM), the brake won't do you any good. I now have a Dodge and this lockup in down-shift is one of the improvements they made to the 06 that now allows (with no warranty voiding) the exhaust brake on automatics starting with the 06 models.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 09:11 AM   #8
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
I was very satisfied with the exhaust brake in my Dodge 6 speed manual. When we changed to Ford and the automatic transmission I was wondering about getting an exhaust brake installed until I towed with it. The tow/haul was great! Never had another thought about additions.

Now, manual transmission, well worth the install (IMNSHO).
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote