Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2006, 06:54 AM   #21
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
You said it Rich - ya got to take all this with a grain of salt. Most everybody that paid a lot of money for something automatically made the right choice, good or bad, myself included. If you remove a little bit of that from the top, there is really a lot to learn in each discussion, even if it goes nowhere.

I have personally learned a ton of stuff just by reading the bantering back and forth, and would be sad if it ever stopped.

Brad

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 08:33 AM   #22
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Brad you are right. I too have learned a lot on this forum. If at a later date you decide you want to do something you have the contacts on this forum to get the information you need.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 02:51 PM   #23
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
When I bought my used 2500HD Chevy, it came with an extended warranty for 100,000 miles. According to the warranty folks, my warranty would be voided if I added a extra fule tank, like transflo. Any toughts?

bob
rrheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 08:53 AM   #24
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Saw your post so a coworker and I called her husband at our local GM / Jeep dealer -- He didn't know off top of his head so he checked with his boss (the service manager) who said that it would 'not be automatically' voided. However, if you came in with a fuel issue and they felt it was caused in any shape or fashion by the extra tank, then they could (and in his words expressing his bosses' stress on this) and most likely would, void the warranty for that portion of the vehicle. He had to get back to work so we didn't pursue it further.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 09:04 AM   #25
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
I liked the "The only time you have too much fuel is when you are on fire!" quote Bob posted.

I have been in several situations where I didn't know if I was going to make it to the next fueling opportunity.

BTW, I love the 50 gallon Transfer Flow tank we have installed.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 10:12 AM   #26
wileecoyote985
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2134
I've got a 36 gallon aux tank in the truck bed - gives me a total of 62 gallons . The standard 26 gallon tank was just too small for my needs. There are times when I'll put on 750 mile days and I hate fuel stops - So it's one of the best investments I've made.

BTW I still make pit stops as needed. It's just that they aren't always related to purchasing fuel.
wileecoyote985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 12:21 PM   #27
AZCampinfool
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5430
This is a bit off subject but here goes anyway. For all those GM owners who have the 26 gallon tank like myself, isn't the fuel pump in the tank? Do the Transfer flow tanks that replace the factory tank come with a new fuel pump also or is that something that is swapped out at the time?
AZCampinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 01:56 PM   #28
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
The transfer pumps simply pump fuel into the trucks original tank. All else stays the same.

And, BTW there is a valve system offered at Northern tools that eliminates the need for a transfer pump. It simply drains fuel from the bottom of aux tank into the filler throat of the trucks main tank until the main tank is full and a valve closes. My understanding is that this type of system is not allowed for gasolene but works fine for Diesel.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 04:06 PM   #29
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
Skypilot, Thanks for the information on the warranty. Makes sense, I am thinking about running over to Lake Havasu and getting a aux. tank from AuxMarine, whose tank is similiar to Transflo. Has a toggle switch on your dash to switch from OEM tank to aux. tank, and the gas gauge reads whichever tank is in use. I plan on doing some travelling in Western Canada up in the northern parts, where gas stations can be few and far between.
rrheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 04:35 PM   #30
tbhd2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5709
Right after we bought our truck (it's a 95) we went out west and diesel fuel for pick-ups was sometimes difficult to find and not in the most convenient places. When we returned home we had the Transfer Flow tanks installed. Gives us the option of when and where we buy fuel. Works well for us
tbhd2 is offline   Reply With Quote