Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 12-14-2011, 03:52 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Now something else for retirees to worry about

Yep, my retirement pension is on the list...

http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/criticalstatusnotices.html

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 05:00 AM   #2
Red939
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7928
Way to political to touch this one.
Red939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 05:24 AM   #3
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
I conclude the plan was foisted on employees knowing full well that the plan was underfunded or funded with over valued stocks- How do I make this conclusion?- Been there, done that!- Welcome to the club- I pray you do not lose too much- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 05:33 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I don't want it to be political, just relating.
I moved some stairs from one RV park over to ours in Vegas, my neighbor needed them he had his stored over there, the folks who had been storing the stairs were school teachers somewhere in California before retirement, they were happy as clams for years, then the retirement fund evaporated (don't know why..) but the point is, retirement plans are not like they used to be, we just can't count on them anymore. Sad.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:55 AM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
That's scary. Hope the issues are resolved to your benefit.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:03 AM   #6
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
I am also not trying to be political here, but did you notice how many of these plans are for union workers? Looks to me like perhaps the brotherhoods did not take as good a care as they should have. Of course I am not delusional...my non union pension could be mismanaged and go away tomorrow as well. It is interesting that the majority of these are unions, though.
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:29 AM   #7
Red939
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7928
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by washley1

I am also not trying to be political here, but did you notice how many of these plans are for union workers? Looks to me like perhaps the brotherhoods did not take as good a care as they should have. Of course I am not delusional...my non union pension could be mismanaged and go away tomorrow as well. It is interesting that the majority of these are unions, though.
That's why it's political. Look around at companies in trouble and those doing fine...kind of self explanatory.
Red939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:40 AM   #8
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
I would like to respond to some of the above comments but can't without getting political. I'm sorry to hear that Ozz's pension plan is in trouble, hopefully things will improve for it.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:13 PM   #9
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Hope it works out for you. Got to by scary. I don't have to worry about my plan going down the drain, the restaurant industry, by in large, doesn't have any and most of my stocks took the big dive in 2008 and stayed there. Once we start fulltiming work camping will probably be on our list of things to do, at least for a part of the year.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:57 PM   #10
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Ditto...

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 8.1al

I would like to respond to some of the above comments but can't without getting political. I'm sorry to hear that Ozz's pension plan is in trouble, hopefully things will improve for it.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:19 PM   #11
LuckyNichol
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8615
Free market economy. I'm not political, just relating.
LuckyNichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:01 PM   #12
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
Ladies and Gentlemen,
Saying your post is not political does not make it so. Staying on topic and not making political statements will make it truly non political. So feel free to talk about the subject as much as you want as long as your conversation does not delve into the political arena your post will be fine.

Continuing to make comments about the political aspects of this subject will cause the heavy handed Admins in this Forum to aim their sights on those so inclined to make or continue such comments. Just for clarification please do not use the word or words (political or not political) as an attempted disclaimer. If the rules are adhered to then life will continue on its course unedited and unlocked. Please note that this heavy handed Admin has attempted to inject a bit of humor into this post. We apologize if it did not accomplish its goal. RVWheels, MOC Admin.
RVWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:05 PM   #13
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Well Ozz, maybe grandpa's retirement plan of putting the extra egg money under the mattress wasn't such a bad idea after all.
In today's economic environment I believe one is better controlling their own "retirement" plans such as 401K's and other investment programs.
I am retired and never had a company or union provided pension plan - we opted several years ago to build our own plan and it is a good thing we did.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:38 AM   #14
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by washley1

I have two pensions. The union one is doing quite well, while the none union one isn't.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 01:51 AM   #15
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Hope it all works out for you Ozz. Everything is scary these days. Very few things are as safe as they use to be. Good luck buddy. Our country isn't going in a very positive direction so that makes everything very vulnerable.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 03:22 AM   #16
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I went through an apprentice program at a defense plant to become a Pipefitter, I 'turned out' and worked for a few years, around 14, I think in that Union job. I then started a real estate company and bought and sold investment real estate, I 'withdrew' from the Union, but continued to pay the 100 a year to stay enrolled. I then started a HVAC and Electrical company that was not Union, so my retirement was not designed around that pension, as I really wasn't in there that long, but I payed into the fund, so I get a partial pension. I feel bad for the folks that worked all their lives in ANY Pension fund and don't get a pension, or get a very small pension. We planned around that, so I won't be devastated if it goes under. I appreciate the nice folks that wished me well on this topic, and I also appreciate the diplomatic guidance from RV Wheels.
I think we all behaved pretty well, and as far as I am concerned this thread should 'Get, while the getting is good..'
Old 12-15-2011, 05:24 AM   #17
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
So, RVWheels makes a post, and there was OZZ's avatar out beside it...now it's gone and the roadrunner is there...Makes one wonder.......wish I would have saved a screen shot of that!

Hate for anyone to lose their retirement. There, I'm still on topic!
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 06:13 AM   #18
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SlickWillie

So, RVWheels makes a post, and there was OZZ's avatar out beside it...now it's gone and the roadrunner is there...Makes one wonder.......wish I would have saved a screen shot of that!

Ha! A skillful ploy on the part of management to keep you guessing. Trust me, it would be like putting the Fox in charge of the hen-house.
I am but a simple fix-it man, no management, ownership, supervisor-ship, affiliation, or nuttin like that.
Ozz the simple (minded) fix-it man.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:53 AM   #19
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SlickWillie

Ha! A skillful ploy on the part of management to keep you guessing. Trust me, it would be like putting the Fox in charge of the hen-house.
I am but a simple fix-it man, no management, ownership, supervisor-ship, affiliation, or nuttin like that.
Ozz the simple (minded) fix-it man.
I had a screen shot sent to me that one of the mods posted....had a signature on it....I ain't saying who tho.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:12 PM   #20
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Wasn't me, I ain't no Mod. Not bright enough for that job.