Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HEY KEYSTONE! > What I'd like to say if...
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2005, 08:11 AM   #1
Montana_2342
Established Member

M.O.C. #2342
Get rid of the remote thermostats

Subject says it all they are junk, the temps are off and in the 3255 the thermostat is on the rear facing rear so you have to be right next to it to use the remote anyway - give me a manual digital controler that at least works!!

Montana_2342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 09:33 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I don't have a remote thermostat and from what I have been hearing I am glad I don't. I don't even know why anyone would even need such a device. It isn't like you were changing it like a television. We probably don't change our thermostat more than 3 or 4 times a week. And unless you carry the da$% thing in your pocket it won't be where you are when you need it anyway. So if you gotta walk to where ever you think the remote is you might just as well walk to the thermostat.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 01:10 PM   #3
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MB3

Subject says it all they are junk, the temps are off and in the 3255 the thermostat is on the rear facing rear so you have to be right next to it to use the remote anyway - give me a manual digital controler that at least works!!
MB3 we have the remote on our 3400. I agree it is not what was expected. By the way, are you an aviator? I notiece the pic of the OH-58D Kiowa on you signature.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 04:05 PM   #4
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Same problem. I really think Keystone should recall them and give us all something that works! It seems you can't even junk them and replace them yourself because of the electronic controls. If anyone finds a way, please post it!
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 07:56 AM   #5
worknomore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2216
We have an '05 2955RL and couldn't agree more - it is useless because it is so inaccurate. I can see the purpose though: put it in the living area during the day & in the bedroom at night. Nice thought, if the thing worked! Ours is also 8 - 9 degrees off.

One more thing Keystone, what do we do if the remote quits or is lost??? Tell Dometic to dump it & supply everyone with a WORKING thermostat...
worknomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 10:32 AM   #6
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
We tossed our factory thermostat last week and installed a Hunter Douglas from Wally World. Can't believe it's the same trailer. No more freeze / bake cycle ... 7 day programmable. We actually set the temp cooler because the on off cycle is well controlled. We found we were turning up the old thermostat too hot in order to stop from freezeing before the furnace started.
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 07:51 AM   #7
BillE
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2594
Gruffy...PLEASE tell us how you changed out that wireless therm to a "real" one. I've tried to figure out the wiring on the "phone" type of connector and have yet to get it all to work.
Bill
BillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 01:58 PM   #8
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
I didn't have a wireless one... the previous year was a more or less standard thermostat. The "snake" I found is that while a household thermostat switches 24 volts, the RV thermostat gets 7.5 volts from the furnace to run it (no longer needed) and grounds the device that it wants to start. So, connect ground to the 24 volt terminal of the new thermostat and then connect the furnace to the heat terminal. Heat on, the relay closes and the furnace starts.
Old 02-08-2005, 02:08 PM   #9
Kimmrg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1217
OK, if anyone figures this out, has a solution or a replacement PLEASE send me a private message AND post it here. Our 2005 remote furnace is still on the blink anytime it gets below 40 degrees outside. I have it turned up to 80 on the remote to get it to 68 on the room temp. Still will not keep running, but will start if I turn it off and on several (5-7) times. This has got to go! Us Alaskans are warmer blooded than some, but this is crazy!
Kimmrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 01:09 AM   #10
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
I presume you've gone back to the dealer??? He should be able to swap it out for you. Failing that how about the factory?? Keystone wouln't leave anyone out there stuck....would they???
Old 02-09-2005, 03:41 PM   #11
Kimmrg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1217
Gruffy, been back to the dealer twice, maybe third time is the charm, but dealer is 90 miles away. We have not contacted Keystone yet, but are thinking hard about doing so. Been leaving this one to the hubby.....
Kimmrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 03:32 AM   #12
HomeOnTheRoad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1104
Someone reported successfully rewiring the remote thermostat with an aftermarket thermostat. I think it was a Hunter. I don't remember who it was. Maybe they'll see this or you can find it in Search.
HomeOnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 04:06 AM   #13
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
Who makes this thing?? Is there a model number so we can check around for some information??
Old 02-10-2005, 04:52 AM   #14
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
It says Dometic on it, Part Number 0101. I looked inside, and on the circuit boards for another name, but I could not find one. One of the problems in replacing it is that the "telephone wire" that connects it to the control box on the AC only has four small conductors that are fed through the roof to the AC. Inside the AC there is box that I assume works something like a Modem to translate the signal from the wall unit to power to the AC, fan, and furnace. There is a circuit board in the "modem" box with several relays. I was wondering, is four telephone size conductors enough for a conventional thermostat? If you had to run a new cable, it might be near impossible. The "telephone" wire does not seem to carry any measurable voltage, so it must run on some sort of millivolt system. Any insights?

One faint hope is that Dometic might be able supply a conventional control box to replace the "modem" box. (I know its not really a modem, but I don't know what else to call it).
Old 02-10-2005, 09:59 AM   #15
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
Well,... you got a problem. The thing does not seem to have an online service manual. It does seem to be digital with more then one sensor in the coach. I suspect the little 4 wire plug your looking at is an rs232 interface.

When you get to the "I feel" mode the remote control becomes the room thermostat. Hold it in your hot little hand, put it on a table in the sunshine or place it near the stove any you've just screwd up the heating system. You need a neutral place out of direct sunshine but open to the coach to store that thing. In the "I feel" mode I suspect it would also have to be looking at the ceiling mounted unit. Thrust it into a drawer and you've lost all control and communication.

If anyone can come up with better part numbers I'll try again to find a manual but it's new and not up on the web yet... or a deep dark Dometic/Duotherm secret.
Old 02-10-2005, 01:28 PM   #16
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Ours came with a manual or I should say sheet (folded) that explained how to operate it. I really like the timer feature before it got too cold to leave it off all night. We just add 10 degrees. It is a pain. I've tried to move the remote up out of range of thermostat to sync them but it doesn't work.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 03:32 PM   #17
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
As soon as I told Shari there was a thread about replacing the thermostat she said "Find out what they did and do it!" So as soon as anyone has figured out how to replace the remoter version, please let us know.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 03:42 PM   #18
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I just did a search for "Hunter" and there are several posts but Stiles replaced his with a Hunter from WalMart. Maybe if you email him he can tell you about it.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 03:56 PM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Several of us have replaced our thermostats with the Hunter from Walmart but our old one was not the remote variety. I also remember someone posting they replaced the remote thermostat with one from Walmart. A Hunter, I think.

The reason we went with Hunter is an RV does not power the thermostat with the same voltage as does a stick house. So, a standard stick house thermostat that takes its power from the house power lines will not work in an RV. The Hunter has its own AA or AAA batteries to power the thermostat. We're coming up on two years on this thermostat and have replaced the batteries once so far and we live in this thing fulltime. Just something to keep in mind.

If you go with a Hunter be sure to note the "span" setting. The span is the amount of temperature swing before the thermostat turns the furnace or Ac unit on or off. The reason we changed thermostats in the first place is the old one allowed it to get too cold/hot before it would turn on the furnace/AC and too hot/cold before turning them off. I set the span on the Hunter for a one degree swing. Much, much better. Somewhere on this forum is a link to how to wire the Hunter to replace the old thermostat. I don't think it's the same for replacing the remote, though, but it might give you some idea how to wire it. I'll see if I can find something on this in the archives.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 04:20 PM   #20
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

I'll see if I can find something on this in the archives.
Here is the link that I used: http://www.klenger.net/arctic-fox/hu...tat/index.html

I don't think it has to be a Hunter. Just so long as it has it's own batteries. I used a programmable White Rodgers, and it worked out just fine. Just wish I could do the same for our new trailer with the @#$% Remote.