Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2014, 04:49 PM   #1
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Noisy Reese hitch

In the other thread about hitches, some mentioned noise their Reese hitch makes. If it is a "clunk" when starting and stopping like I had here is what I did.

On my Reese Elite there would be a "clunk" when starting from a stop and when braking when moving. I found it to be play in the cradle that rocks side to side. That cradle mounts to a shaft welded to the base frame. And there was about 1/8" gap or play in it. Not much but enough for it to slide forward and back when starting and stopping and making the noise. And since it is welded there is no way to take up that play.

So I bought a flat plastic electrical box cover from Home Depot. I used a hole saw just larger than the cradle shaft in my drill and drilled/sawed a hole in the middle of the cover. Now it is donut shaped. Then I cut a slot in one side of the "donut" slightly smaller than the shaft. Now it is "C" shaped. I pushed the "C" shaped cover down between the rear of the cradle and the hitch frame straddling the shaft and taking up that 1/8" play. No more "clunk" when starting and stopping.

Actually had the same problem on my previous Pullrite but it had a large bolt for the shaft with a nut on the end that could be tightened to take up the slack.

BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 05:36 PM   #2
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
That is an interesting fix. I think I understand what you did but not 100% sure without looking under my hitch plate. If you are around your truck and it is convenient could you possibly post a pic?
Old 05-04-2014, 03:23 AM   #3
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
I'm also quite happy with my Reese hitch remedy. Got rid of that piece of junk and bought a B & W and am now very happy. Net cost $25.00 and don't have to worry about all those noises returning.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 03:28 AM   #4
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Since I have my hitch apart for spring cleaning and lubing, I'd love to see pictures too of this mod.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:58 AM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433

Here is a picture. Top hitch plate removed. You can see the blue modified cover inserted between the cradle and frame at the rear. Takes up the space and eliminates the metallic clunk, especially when starting from a stop.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:49 AM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Very interesting.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 11:31 AM   #7
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
I didn't look it up but I would reckon the Elite has the jaws. I will have to keep an eye on this to see why that happens. My Reese does is only sometimes and I can't seem to figure out why. There are times I hook up and drive 800 miles and no clunking at all, then there are times I hook up and it clunks right when I pull out???? There has to be a reason.....
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 11:55 AM   #8
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
The Elite has the wrap around latch mechanism.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:08 PM   #9
jswharton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10100
I'm going to try it, thanks!
jswharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 01:09 PM   #10
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Thanks for the picture - I know exactly what you did and will look at mine now.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:26 PM   #11
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by WeBeFulltime

I'm also quite happy with my Reese hitch remedy. Got rid of that piece of junk and bought a B & W and am now very happy. Net cost $25.00 and don't have to worry about all those noises returning.
Now if you'd just get rid of that piece of junk Ram.

Yes, harsh I know. Just trying to make a point. You may not like Reese products but they are one of the top sellers of 5th wheel hitches in the US, so obviously a lot of people don't feel they are junk, myself included.

And no, I don't really think Rams are pieces of junk. As I said, just trying to make a point.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:51 PM   #12
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
I figured the noise coming from my Reese hitch was the same as BB_TX and I used a piece of aluminum plate cut in the shape of a "C" to remove the slack on that pin. It did not get rid of all the noise and I eventually discovered that when pulling away and stopping my hitch legs were lifting up in the mounts on the front and rear depending on whether I was starting or stopping. There is movement there perhaps on all of them as they tend to rust at those locations and that indicates the paint has been removed.
The dealer had no solution and I have yet to contact Reese. This was a brand new hitch and mounting hardware when I purchased my new truck. I like the wrap around latch but I do feel there are area's where improvement could be made to lessen possible noise creation.

I think it would be a real education if one was to ride in the back and observe and listen to these hitches, particularly pulling the heavier units. Since I can't ride there while driving and the DW won't because she thinks it is just my excuse to put her in the "far" back seat, I am trying to assemble a magnetic mount for my Hero3 camera in order to film and record the happenings with the hitch.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 02:48 PM   #13
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
If you have the Reese with the pins that drop into the underbed mount, those pins have adjustment to tighten them up and take the slack out.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:11 PM   #14
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BB_TX

If you have the Reese with the pins that drop into the underbed mount, those pins have adjustment to tighten them up and take the slack out.
I don't have the pins Bill, I have the rails where the hitch fits in the four slots and is held in place with 4 pins, there must be some play there to get the hitch in and out as well as the pins. It is those 4 pin locations that mine is going up and down with a clunk.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 12:42 AM   #15
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by WeBeFulltime

Now if you'd just get rid of that piece of junk Ram.

Yes, harsh I know. Just trying to make a point. You may not like Reese products but they are one of the top sellers of 5th wheel hitches in the US, so obviously a lot of people don't feel they are junk, myself included.

And no, I don't really think Rams are pieces of junk. As I said, just trying to make a point.
I said that's what I did. Did not suggest anyone else do it, Reese is number one because of price. You get what you pay for.

BTW, nice looking truck.......too bad it's a Chevy!

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 01:36 AM   #16
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
Had the same problem. I found a large nylon washer at Lowes and cut a notch in it so it clipped over the shaft like a c clip.
Ishler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 02:38 AM   #17
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
I don't think the clunk comes from where the legs pin into the bed rails. I tried moving my back and forth and don't get any movement there. True it has to be somewhat loose there to get it out. I still think it is in the head and pin area. But like I said sometimes mine hooks up and doesn't clunk at all. But there are times I want to unhook and rehook just cause it clunks right off the bat. But just to eliminate it I may try to see if I can get either some washers down in along with the pins or some thin plastic. But I doubt I can get anything in there.
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 03:46 AM   #18
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ishler

Had the same problem. I found a large nylon washer at Lowes and cut a notch in it so it clipped over the shaft like a c clip.
Looked for those first but could find any large enough so had to improvise.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:42 AM   #19
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Irlpguy

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BB_TX

I don't have the pins Bill, I have the rails where the hitch fits in the four slots and is held in place with 4 pins, there must be some play there to get the hitch in and out as well as the pins. It is those 4 pin locations that mine is going up and down with a clunk.

I too have the same four pin setup as you, along with the same hitch as BB TX , with the same clunk starting ,and stopping . I will sure try that washer thing, can't hurt. The clunking is annoying.

Like you I always thought we get a little movement out of the four pins . That would be a hard fix, no real place to shim anything. My four pins seem to be more snug with the new picture frame setup on the new Ram with the factory prep. Can't imagine enough play to clunk. My old setup on the Ford with the conventional bed rails had a bit more play, and could of possibly clunked.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:47 AM   #20
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Irlpguy

I figured the noise coming from my Reese hitch was the same as BB_TX and I used a piece of aluminum plate cut in the shape of a "C" to remove the slack on that pin. It did not get rid of all the noise and I eventually discovered that when pulling away and stopping my hitch legs were lifting up in the mounts on the front and rear depending on whether I was starting or stopping. There is movement there perhaps on all of them as they tend to rust at those locations and that indicates the paint has been removed.
The dealer had no solution and I have yet to contact Reese. This was a brand new hitch and mounting hardware when I purchased my new truck. I like the wrap around latch but I do feel there are area's where improvement could be made to lessen possible noise creation.

I think it would be a real education if one was to ride in the back and observe and listen to these hitches, particularly pulling the heavier units. Since I can't ride there while driving and the DW won't because she thinks it is just my excuse to put her in the "far" back seat, I am trying to assemble a magnetic mount for my Hero3 camera in order to film and record the happenings with the hitch.

If it's a Signature or Elite series, the solution is simple. Each pin is adjustable. Just snug it up until it's tight but still turn-able.