Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2012, 01:11 PM   #1
jdvier
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10130
Electrical problems

Just picked up my 3400RL from the auto body shop. Batteries were dead. Was able to plug into the truck and raise the landing gear so we could hook on and tow the traier to our storage loacation. Was able to move the slides out to do some stuff inside but the batteries died and was not able to close the slides. Is there a reset somewhere that is not in the owners manual? Also is there a specific way to hook up a battery charger to charge the batteries?
Thanks
Jack

jdvier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:24 PM   #2
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
sounds like battery is just dead. If you have a single battery, before you plug in the charger, red goes to positive,black negative. then plug in charger. if you have settings on the charger,use 12volt setting at 10 amps.
also,before charging,check the water in the cells to make sure they are full.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:37 PM   #3
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Are you still plugged into your truck? If so the truck battery should bring the slides in. There is a reset breaker, looks like the one on the right in this picture. http://i906.photobucket.com/albums/a...X/100_1136.jpg
Generally if it trips it will reset itself in a matter of seconds. Sounds like you got a place to plug in a battery charger. If so just hook up the power cord to your trailer providing you have the right adapters to get down to the plug you have available. Your converter charger should supply enough juice to bring the slides in. Good luck, Jim
Old 11-15-2012, 03:34 PM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
It would help to know the year of your rig (It can be added to a signature line in your profile settings). If it has a remote control and the battery is left engaged, the remote board will drain your battery. The battery disconnect switch in the convenience department does not disable this board on our rig. I installed an isolation switch in the battery compartment after adding a second battery o that I can completely de-energize the rig from battery power.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:14 AM   #5
jdvier
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10130
Thanks all for your help. I will try this on Sat. I knew that I could get the help here. You are all great.
jdvier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:28 AM   #6
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Just sounds like the battery is dead!
Their are things that draw in the battery if not disconnected.
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:51 AM   #7
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I realize this was a "ya gotta do what ya gotta do" situation, but landing gear and slide pumps use quite a bit of amperage when in operation. The 20' or so of the charge wire on your truck was probably pretty toasty after that workout. If the fiver battery is dead, it's best to just nose your truck to the front of the fiver and use jumper cables battery to battery ... if I read wrong and that is what you did ... good thinking.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:55 AM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I have carried an emergency start battery in my truck for years to help employees with bad batteries on cold nights etc. The one time I had this issue I just hooked that battery up to the Monty and in came the slides no problem. It's a good tool to carry with you for many reasons, but it will get you out of trouble with the rig also. As an added bonus most, like mine, have a cigarette lighter plug on them so you can make your 12v air pump portable also.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:38 AM   #9
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
I was just looking at one of them for the same reason. I also was thinkin that I could hook a small inverter to it and run a laptop outside when I didn't have electricity. Just not sure how long it would run.
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:53 AM   #10
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
While down in Florida last January our converter went out and we had problems gettng the landing gear down. We hand cranked it down and then we disconnected the battery and hooked up a battery charger to the battery cables directly. We didn't put it on full charge but on the 2 or 10 amp setting and were able to run everything we needed until we had the converter replaced. Worked great for a temporary use anyway! Since we have a 2004 unit and it is a 30 amp unit we recharged the battery once the new converter was put in and haven't had a problems since! Knock on wood! Dick's idea of the battery jumper unit is a good idea for a temp solution and at least you can crank the landing gear down and possibly the slides out without having to use the hand crank anyway!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:12 AM   #11
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
If you're not plugged for a week or so, disconnect the battery. My propane detector ran the battery done the first time. Didn't know. I disconnect the neg. cable from battery. Cutoff would be even better, like Bingo said.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote