Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-31-2011, 09:32 AM   #1
ltoews
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10846
Galley Tank Won't Drain

Our galley tank is full and needs to be drained. When I pulled the handle, no water was released. There is not a food buildup as we have strainers in the sink to strain any debris from entering the tank. I was hoping to gain access to the termination valve to see if the cable from the handle came apart. The corrugated underbelly covering in the rear is rather large and is a big job to remove. I was considering cutting this panel from side to side about 14" in front of the front axle. This is approximately the location of the galley tank handle. Is cutting the underbelly panel a bad idea? I would tape the seam when finished to seal it.

ltoews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 09:45 AM   #2
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
Itoews,
I do not mean anything by this, but I see you are new to Montana. Are you aware that the galley tank has a handle back by the wheels? I do not know about the 2011 but all the other years had the galley dump located between the wheels as my 2001 or my 2008 has it behind the back wheel between the kitchen and living rm slide.
Not sure about yours but I would look there.
The two dump handles in the convience center are the black and the front gray tanks but not the galley.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 09:54 AM   #3
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Agree with awaywego. Ithink dealers sometimes neglect to point out second handle.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 10:59 AM   #4
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
The old "hidden galley tank handle" strikes again! I'm not trying to be smart but this has been a problem with alot of the new Montana owners. If you haven't checked between or behind the back wheel/s on the street side of the unit, you need to do this! If you have checked for this handle, found it and pulled it you should have an empty galley tank. If you know about the "hidden handle", pulled it and the tank is still full, I would suggest checking to see if the rod connected to the valve on the tank has come loose(unscrewed) and you will have to go up in there and reconnect it.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:17 AM   #5
ltoews
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10846
We have emptied the galley tank many times. Fortunately, the location of the galley tank dump handle was pointed out to us by the dealer when we took possession. There is also a decal on the slide just above the handle that says "GREY TANK". However, today when I pulled the handle, the tank did not empty. As Rondo says, the rod may have come unscrewed. How do I get into this area to reconnect it or see what the reason is?

ltoews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:34 AM   #6
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

Ours has broken the rod to the valve several times. The valve is very close to the frame and very close to the rear axel. We can take out the bolts that hold the belly to the frame just to the rear of the rear axel and get the outer edge down so I can reach the valve. Its only 4 to 6 bolts and you even have enough room to see what you are doing.

A couple of months ago someone here on the forum said that ¼ all thread rod can be used to replace the aluminum tube Keystone uses and that corrects the problem.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 03:41 PM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
This should be a warranty issue on a 2011. Take it to a dealer and make them take the underbelly down and fix it. I had Keystone do it for me at the rally. It even took them two tries to get it right. The first time they got the valve to work and broke the handle.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote