Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2010, 01:20 PM   #1
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Graphic Removal/ Installation Instructions.

As requested, here are the Burlington Graphics Removal and Installation instructions.
REMOVAL
1. Soften the graphics and adhesive by first warming the graphic with a heat gun or blow dryer. Facing the graphics at the sun may help. (I used a paint stripper heat gun set on its lowest temperature and only warmed an area of about 6 in x 6 in.--I used a 1.5 inch putty knife to get the graphic edge up)(Wear leather gloves for protection from the heat)
2. After removing the graphic, any remaining adhesive can be removed by using lacquer thinner or citrus cleaner. ( I used liberal amounts of lacquer thinner and it worked very well and was easy. I used about 1/2 of a small can of thinner for Home Depot)
3. Make sure to thoroughly clean the residue left behind by the thinner or cleaner with isopropyl alcohol before applying the graphic. (So--basically clean off the adhesive cleaner!)( I used about 1/3 of a can of alcohol for our front cap)

Installation
1. Minimum surface temp is 45 degrees.
2. (I began with the smallest graphic to learn how to do this!)(The mountain scene on the front cap is made into 1 piece by Burlington, there are spaces between the elements of the scene. I cut the elements out and then installed them)
3. Remove the liner from the back of the graphic. (BEFORE you do this, I strongly recommend that you trim the front and back paper on the graphic to about 1/2 inch of the edge of the graphic. This makes positioning the graphic on the front cap alot easier.)
4.Gently place the graphic in the desired location.
5.You may pull the graphic up to reposition it before you squeegee it in place.
6. Squeege vertically in the center towards the edge of the graphic.
7. Leave the protective premask on for 15 minutes after squeegeeing.
8. Remove pre-mask by pulling 180 degrees across the graphic, NOT 90 degrees away from the surface.
9. Re-squeege the graphic.
10. Air bubbles can be popped using a pin. DO NOT use a wide blade Stanley knife or Exacto knife.
11. HAVE A BEER!

F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:36 PM   #2
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Thanks for posting this Tim, did you apply the new graphics dry?
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:58 PM   #3
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Tim!

One question: I only need to replace that upper Montana graphic. When I use that cleaner, I sure don't want to have that run down onto my good graphics below. Is this going to be a problem?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:40 AM   #4
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Q1. Yes, I applied the graphic dry. The surface must be dry for the adhesive to work.
Q2. For only removing one graphic, I would be careful in using the thinner and alcohol and not let excess fluids run on the other graphics. Since I removed all my graphics, I cleaned the entire front cap--so the excess fluid was not a problem. Using a rag to apply the fluids, keeping the excess from running should not be a problem.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:17 PM   #5
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Good instructions on your graphic installation experience. Your emphasis on a clean surface as well as using a small pin as opposed to any type of knife to eliminate air bubbles is very important. I might offer alternate ideas on future applications. Put about one or two drops of dishwashing soap in an old Windex spray bottle full of water. It's perfectly OK to squirt the mix on the surface before applying the graphic as the squeege will blade the water away. A "wet application" is used alot by persons acquiring the art of installation as it allows a little more freedom to more easily position each piece. Several installers use the "hinge method" when installing graphics the size commonly found on RVs. Leave the backing (liner) on the graphic ... position the graphic ... place a couple of strips of masking tape right over the center of the graphic onto the surface to hold it in position. Lift one side back to the masking tape and then remove that portion of the backing. Working from middle to edge, lay the graphic down and squeege as you previously mentioned. Roll back the other half of the graphic and repeat the process. This way you don't fight laying a graphic with the backing already removed and you only work with 1/2 the graphic at a time. Don't worry about every little tiny bubble as the graphic is porous and the sun will work them out in a day or so.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote