Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2008, 03:12 PM   #1
genecurp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2535
slide room problems

Earlier this year we had a couple ongoing threads about slides tripping their 50 amp curcuit breakers/fuse. I read with interest, posted questions and watched carefully trying to learn WHY and how to fix it. I had a mobile tech come out but he couldn't fix it. My fellow MOC members were very helpful. But I didn't get it.

I promised to share the eventual outcome when I returned to my dealer after my 6 month trip. So here is the I found out, but I still can't understand it.

My dealer told me they had been advised by Lippert a couple years ago to wire in an additional (second) 50 amp fuse "in paralell". This way, I was told, I still have 50 amp protection, but the two fuses 'share the load' and don't trip so often.

Sure enough, I ran in the slides today and no problem. I am glad it is fixed, I hope it is safe, and I just don't want to spend any more money on it!

Did I mention I ran in the slides today to take my home on wheels back to the dealer? My refrigerator quit. I have 26 days until my 3 year Dometic warrenty expires. Dometic is providing the "cooling unit" and i get to pay the labor. Actually, I feel fortunate the warrenty is there, and this is happening now, not in 6 months. When the refer quit, I guessed the best I could hope for was a $500 fix. Looks like that is what it will cost me. Much cheaper than a new refer at about $1500.

In my campground this week, one fellow told me if you have a motorhome, you need to be prepared to write a $1,000 check at any time. I guess it is $500 for a fifth wheel. Another fellow said the best tool in his tool box was his checkbook. But where else can you live such great traveling lifestyle. This will be my first winter to go South (TX this time). I can hardly wait.

Gene

genecurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 05:03 PM   #2
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I'm not going to say, "I told you to add a 50 amp parallel breaker!" Nope! Not at all!

Where in Texas are you heading toward?

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 05:23 PM   #3
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
Either Lippert does not have a resident Electrical Engineer on staff or if they have one on staff they didn't consult them with this recommendation. Installing two 50 amp circuit breakers in parallel is essentailly creating the possibility of a near 100 amp current draw before the weakest one trips. Under this installation you do not have 50 amp protection anymore, you have protection only at the sum of the current that passes through both circuit breakers up to 100 amps. If the weakest one trips at 45amps then up until it trips, there may have been 90 amps of current flowing. Once the first one trips then the protection will only be 50 amps or so and would immediately trip as well. But until the first one trips there may be up to 100 amps of current flowing. Not good for the wiring which isn't rated for 100 Amps. We had similar problems with the slides tripping the 50 amp circuit. Repalced the 50 amp circuit breaker WITH A NEW ONE AND HAVEN'T HAD THE PROBLEM SINCE. IMHO, Lipperts recommendation make no technical sense at all.
Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 02:17 AM   #4
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Here is a page of Lippert Components info. Some interesting stuff there. I noticed in one file they say the hydraulic motor will spike to around 29 amps, yet in another file they recommend putting in higher amp breakers. I didn't find the file I had that actually showed the schematic to wire the parallel breakers. IIRC the wiring is 6 gauge, which would be adequate for 100 amps chassis wiring. Seems MIMF posted the 100 amp rating for the hydraulic pump.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 04:26 AM   #5
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Not an electrician by any stretch, but I believe our 2008 3400 has (2) 50 amp breakers (in parallel??) for the slides? There are two next to each other anyway. Part of my initial problem with them going out was the LR slide was misaligned and the breakers and alignment issue has stopped the interruptions initially occurring. Not sure if that makes any sense. FYI. Dennis
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 04:39 AM   #6
genecurp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2535
Wayne, I did remember the two fuse solution was recommended to me by someone. I couldn't remember who! It is working.

I am also concerned that two fuses really means upping the amps to near 100 thus losing the 50 amp limit protection. One of the two is not brand new, nearly 6 months of occational tripping. My moble tech measured the amp draw in April at the battery to be 80 amps. So that is why I say I hope it is safe.

Being an accountant rather than an electrician, I can be told anything. When I research I get different guideance from the manufacturer (Keystone) and from the other OEM (Lippart).

Oh, and from the dealer. Lippart does not recommend lubrication of the slide components. My dealer "does it every day".

My conclusion is someone under engineered the slide rooms. Maybe because it is 3 not two, undersized the motor, undersized the wiring, something was not planned well. And as I understand it Keystone still installs the single 50 amp fuse (as I was told by them 6 months ago). And it worked fine for 2 years. And the issue is common among us Montana owners. I guess it is in the Lippart stuff, but how can I know? Luckily I don't need to know.

I get to stop spending money on this issue which makes me happy.
I am declaring victory and moving on!

Gene
Old 10-31-2008, 04:51 AM   #7
genecurp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2535
Lippert Components, Inc. Informational Publication LIP Sheet - 0058
UPGRADING CIRCUIT BREAKERS FOR LCI HYDRAULIC PUMPS
INDICATIONS
Due to high amp draws on hydraulic slideout systems, it may be necessary to upgrade the circuit breaker. During slideout
operation, the higher amperage requirements on the hydraulic pump unit may cause the system to draw the voltage down.
This voltage drop increases the amp draw and forces the 50A Auto Reset Breaker to trip and shut the system down. If the
circuit breaker continues to trip, upgrading the 50A breaker to a breaker with a higher amperage rating will solve the issue
without harm to the system. Wiring and breaker sizes are to be supplied by the RV Manufacturer. This applies to systems
with and without individual room controls.
ENHANCEMENT CONDITIONS
Operating in extreme cold temperatures Carrying heavy items in slideout storage area
Adding protective slideout awnings Operating the slideout with all lights on in the trailer.
Operating with a low battery
BE SURE TO TEST BATTERY VOLTAGE AND AMPERAGE PRIOR TO CALLING FOR SERVICE.
RV MANUFACTURER WILL SUPPLY THE MATERIAL INFORMATION FOR THE REPLACEMENT COMPONENTS