Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2007, 04:36 PM   #1
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Shower leak and wet floors underneath

Input needed again. DW noticed water dripping underneath the 3400 which she tracked back to the tub/shower. After telephone consultation (DH is working to provide the women extended stay at the beach), we believe we stopped the leak by tightening the water connections under the tub faucet. By her description, the wood beneath the vinyl beneath the tub enclosure along the wall was visibly wet (can't define how wet until Sat when I can look). In the event it is soaked either on top or through, is this something that will dry without damage or can it separate and cause problems?? Please no theories, just facts, please respond if you have experience with getting the floors wet. It will be on the list for eventual checking by dealer under warranty, but this will not be until fall, since I can never seem to have access to the rig to get it serviced. On the bright side though, the Monty is getting a good workout which should shake any problems out in the first year. All problems to date have been minor and mentioned previously. Occupancy time so far since purchase = 9 week initial stay followed by 3 and a half week stay after a two week break.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 04:43 PM   #2
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
I am on the trail of water leak in our Monty.
1. Caulked tub to wall enclosure, still leaks.
2. Put silicone seal on faucet assembly and re-installed. still leakd
3. Sprayed shower stall with water, noted that water leaked when spraying on mounting hardware for glass panel at lower point. Put clear silicon seal on mating joints, will recheck tomorrow when silicone cures. I think this is the problem!!!!!!!!!!

Will repost when I respray shower enclosure.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 05:22 PM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We had two different leaks in our shower. The first one was caused by a loose plumbing nut on the pipe going up to the shower drain. When I got that tightened, the leak stopped. The second shower leak was caused when the plastic drain cracked and couldn't be puttied enough to keep water from seeping through. Installed a new one and it hasn't leaked in over 2 years.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 06:22 AM   #4
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
OK, leak no more. Our leak was around the mounting frame for the glass enclosure. Glad that is over for now....
Old 07-13-2007, 11:00 AM   #5
49merc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6266
FYI I found the 2 screws holding the shower frame in place below the door tend to get rusty. I replaced mine with stainless steel screws and washers.
Bob
49merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 05:31 AM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
illapah,
That sounds and looks like it is the origin of our leak, yet I cannot see any discontinuity in the caulk. DW said she sprayed the shower directly in that area and the water could be seen between the tub and the wardrobe. Regardless, we are going to caulk the entire interface between the surround and the tub today and will also caulk the interface between the enclosure surround. Will keep everyone informed!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
Old 07-14-2007, 03:43 PM   #7
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
Bingo, I think that the silicone claulk around the glass to frame at the bottom will fix your problem. I am contemplating removing most of the caulk I put around the tub to wall for the condensation problems that can occur. I was not removing anything until I got the water stopped. Now I can experiment. I will leave the 5 inch of caulk in place near the glass enclosure.
Old 07-14-2007, 04:40 PM   #8
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I never caulked the glass, but rather the glass enclosure (frame) to the tub, the glass enclosure (frame) to the tub and the shower surround to the tub. These are factory caulked areas that I could not see a problem with but still went over the factory work with a new layer of silicone caulk, so we will see in 36 hours if that solved the problem. If it doesn't, then next I will move on to add caulk at the interface of the glass to the frame. I have read other posts that this is not desirable, but water leaking out is a lot less desirable in my opinion. As always, will keep everyone informed of the continuing saga of me against the leak!!
Bingo

Old 07-14-2007, 05:57 PM   #9
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I, too, have the same leak. I let the shower dry for two days and caulked (bright white tub and kitchen caulk)the bottom of wall panel to garden tub surround. I also applied silicon around the glass shoulder in the suspect corner. The regular caulk did not adhere to these surfaces so will try silicon around bottom of wall panel and tub surround. DW is using shower tonight so will check underneath when she gets done........

Update: DW Done with shower and cannot find any leak. Hopefully this takes care of this one. We'll see......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 03:14 AM   #10
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I second Phil now, the caulk (I used white silicon) did not adhere to the glass shower enclosure. Phil, any chance you can post pictures of your caulking job (It seems our leaks are identical from what I can tell). The leak did did slow but did not cease. I guess I need to get the clear rubber silicone based caulk???? Comments appreciated, I don't want to fight this for the rest of the week and the women are getting antsy since I won't let them use the shower. They are not doing without as the campground shower facility is only about four spots away. Help needed before a Wal-MArt run.
Bingo

Old 07-17-2007, 03:51 AM   #11
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
I have a pic of where I caulked. I can send to anyone who wants.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:36 PM   #12
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
bingo, no pics but is in the left front corner as you are standing in the shower looking at the front of the trailer, hitch end. I had put silicon caulk on the glass and glass frame but tub and tile caulk on the bottom seam of the shower wall and garden tub. Heading for Redmond Or tomorrow and will try some more silicon on the bottom.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:39 AM   #13
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Illipah e-mailed a photo of his caulking job that seems to have stopped his shower leak. I hope he doesn't mind but I doctored it up a little and am posting it for everyone's benefit. I have done the same thing and should know today if the caulking solved the problem. It is hard to see but it is the clear silicone caulk bead in the red circle. There is a noticable separation in the black shower glass frame at the corner of the frame which I believe is the origin of the leak. I will post the results when they are known.
Bingo

Old 07-18-2007, 04:29 PM   #14
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
great doctor job Bingo. ours is still leak free but I did do all the joints similar to the ones shown and the sill under the door mating surfaces.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:25 PM   #15
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Did the factory tour last Tuesday and looked closely at the tub. It is missing the lip at each corner, thus allowing a leak to occur.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 04:47 AM   #16
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Woo-hoo!!! Thanks to Illapah and Phil, we are now shower leak free. I would strongly suggest that all check that corner of the shower to see if there is a visible opening (a small crack in the frame itself - it is designed that way for some reason) below the glass in the frame. The solution as always is simple once we used the resources of this forum and the much appreciated assistance of our fellow MOCers. Kudos to all who offered assistance.
Bingo