Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2007, 06:24 PM   #1
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Well where to begin??? I assume you are going to be visiting the Black Hills, so I will reference western South Dakota. Having grown up in Rapid City, the Black Hills is a place I come back to three to four times a year. I just love it!

Things to see~ The Badlands, about 60 miles east of Rapid City. And while your there, you might as well cross I-90 and hit Wall Drug. While in Rapid, make sure you drive up to dinosaur park on Skyline drive. The dinosaurs are nice to see, but the main feature of this hill top park is the view. You can see all of Rapid City and into the hills, as well as east past Ellsworth AFB toward the Badlands. Figure 20 minute stop is all that is needed. Of course there is Mt. Rushmore and Crazy Horse that one has to see, but also check out the little town of Hill City. They have a neat restaurant called Alpine Inn, a great steak will be had! Custer state park is another highly recommended trip, it is amazing to see; best of all is it can be done from your car. Needles highway is sure pretty, if you have a dually I am not sure I'd try it. The two tunnels barely seemed wide enough for my truck(I actually folded my mirrors in on one of them) The pig tail bridges are pretty cool, but they are 1 lane only. Spearfish canyon is pretty to drive through. Of course there is Deadwood, a must stop for any Black Hills trip! Gambling, Gambling and Gambling... My favorite!!!! Bear Butte is a sacred Native American area, and interesting to drive around. Sturgis is nice, not much to see there unless the rally is going on. Down south of Rapid City is Hot Springs, about 65 miles or so. They have the archaeological dig going on of the mammoth fossils. If your going to be in the hills and have the time, I suggest making the drive to Devils Tower in Wyoming. Less than a 3 hour drive and worth every minute, in my opinion. If you are into hiking, try your skills at Harney Peak in the Black Hills. If memory serves me, the peak is at 7,900 feet, the highest point in the state of South Dakota. There was an observation tower you could climb up, the view is breath taking. If you are into biking, there is the Centennial trail that offers 111 miles of hiking and biking. Takes you through elevations from 3,000' to 5,000'. In Rapid City on Main Street is a great family restaurant called Milestone. I recommend their Friday fish fry, wonderful. Get there around 4 or 4:30 p.m. as it is a local favorite. I could go on for days about the area, but I will leave you with this. While your out and about in the hills, be sure to stop and take a deep breath. Especially if you are visiting Mt. Rushmore. The fresh clean air that is filled with the sent of Ponderosa Pine trees will leaving you gasping for more. Have a wonderful trip through the great state of South Dakota.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote