Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-13-2021, 12:28 PM   #41
MikeandJo4
Established Member

M.O.C. #24879
From Keystone's website so it has to be true..

"Color-coded unified wiring standard".

and...

"Perhaps no other fifth wheel RV inspires its owners like Montana. Built by generations of experienced craftsmen, Montana and Montana High Country are the pinnacle of luxury fifth wheel travel. Stunning interior design, profound attention to detail, and the highest quality materials come together in this collection of unforgettable RV's. With our eyes firmly on the horizon, Montana is driven to deliver innovation that transcends expectations and delights new owners, year after year."

We're inspired alright...

Old 10-13-2021, 12:49 PM   #42
randdcran

M.O.C. #28214
Wow, not what I see in my rig...

They have a great publicist, I'll give them that.

But, while I'm on a roll, I'll mention all the interior trim that has fallen off over the first 3 trips, the wooden hanger holding up the barn doors to the Den that came loose and almost had the barn doors crash into the kitchen.

I agree with someone else that said these are supposed to be made to move on down the road without everything falling apart. Quality seems to be a thing of the past. I've seen quite a few articles about the bad quality from the manufactures that the dealers are having to deal with. Guess I got stuck with one of the units that didn't get the QC check.
randdcran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 12:50 PM   #43
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
They are all wired like that willy-nilly.
As for your water tank, no way I would let it sit at the dealer it can still be used if the leak is at the top. Besides most people have water hookups anyway so the tank is not needed
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 12:56 PM   #44
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Calling the wiring a "Rats Nest" is an insult to any self respecting Rat.
Old 10-13-2021, 01:03 PM   #45
randdcran

M.O.C. #28214
Unfortunately, the tank was crushed so bad from the top, that the leak is at the 1/4 filled mark. If we travel with it at the 1/4 full, the rest leaks out and we end up with an empty tank. Our current trip is to the in-laws and we only have electric when we stay there. Also, we like to stay at Harvest Host places along the way and not many of those have any hookups, but the beer is usually good!

It really does blow me away how they could have crushed the tank that bad and still installed it.

Old 10-13-2021, 01:17 PM   #46
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
In the meantime, your warranty is passing by... Since they are on back order, tell them you want the warranty added for the time it is out of service.. Sitting on a lot for months is not fun.. Or have them put a different tank in and modify it if you have to. Our 5ver is BACK AT THE SHOP AGAIN FOR THE LARGE SLIDE!! PLEASE FORGIVE ME BUT I HAVE NEVER BOUGHT ANYTHING IN MY LIFE THAT HAS CAUSED SO MUCH HEARTACHE.. ONE BIG PROBLEM AFTER ANOTHER... WE JUST DROVE 4 HOURS AND WERE SETTING UP WHEN THE STINKING BIG SLIDE BROKE AGAIN.. THIS WILL BE THE 3RD TIME REPAIRING.. THE BEDROOM SLIDE ALSO BROKE... THE BLACK WATER TANK EXPLODED! MY TRAILER IS JUNK JUNK JUNK... NEVER AGAIN...
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 01:26 PM   #47
randdcran

M.O.C. #28214
Storage

I'm sorry to hear about all those problems. Not something I'm looking forward to experiencing beyond the problems we have had.

I told the dealer/service that we have an RV garage I had built to protect this large investment, and I wanted to bring it home before one of our famous hail storms hit. The response from the dealer was that they were more concerned about another RV hitting it while it was on the lot.

Gives ya a warm feeling all over when they say stuff like that...
Old 10-13-2021, 02:36 PM   #48
Wisconsin Retiree
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #28036
Well I think of just the little stuff like my cheap door and the fake wood sticker covering is lifting at all the edges, my closet poles that have repeatedly collapsed and pulled out of the wall with very light load of clothes hanging on them, my black tank flush vacuum valve failing & pissing water under the sink after 6 months of use, the horrible TV/antenna/satellite connection/cable run that apparently the majority of owners admit never works unless you modify it..etc and just that small stuff is frustrating. The major issues have been worse for others but it makes me wonder how I was so easily led to believe Montana was still a quality product. As stated by others most units are mass produced, poor quality and way over priced. I have a four year extended warranty that sounds great but would require weeks or days of moving out in order for them to work on it. Thank the Lord I am able to deal with most issues myself but that leaves alot of well earned money spent on a useless warranty that just isn't practical for most people who live in their units. I owned a beautiful Foretravel diesel pusher prior to the fifth wheel and that was some exceptional quality when built. The good ole days.
Coloma, Wisconsin
Wisconsin Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 05:24 PM   #49
allenclme
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23676
I had a 2000 Terry 25W bought new for 11 years and the only thing we had to do to it was replace tires and brake shoes, and lube the axles. Took the family all over the country in that. I sure miss Fleetwood and was bummed when they folded their towable division in 2008. My 3820FK has had a lot of issues but Keystone has stood behind it and my CW service dept. has been good to deal with. We do experience the long waits for repairs but I'm chalking that up to the pandemic.
allenclme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 05:54 PM   #50
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfb View Post
In the meantime, your warranty is passing by... Since they are on back order, tell them you want the warranty added for the time it is out of service.. Sitting on a lot for months is not fun.. Or have them put a different tank in and modify it if you have to. Our 5ver is BACK AT THE SHOP AGAIN FOR THE LARGE SLIDE!! PLEASE FORGIVE ME BUT I HAVE NEVER BOUGHT ANYTHING IN MY LIFE THAT HAS CAUSED SO MUCH HEARTACHE.. ONE BIG PROBLEM AFTER ANOTHER... WE JUST DROVE 4 HOURS AND WERE SETTING UP WHEN THE STINKING BIG SLIDE BROKE AGAIN.. THIS WILL BE THE 3RD TIME REPAIRING.. THE BEDROOM SLIDE ALSO BROKE... THE BLACK WATER TANK EXPLODED! MY TRAILER IS JUNK JUNK JUNK... NEVER AGAIN...
That's sad to hear dfb.
My only suggestion is get rid of it and buy one of the older ones. One in the error around 2010 plus or minus when all the slides were hydraulic
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 07:45 PM   #51
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandJo4 View Post
From Keystone's website so it has to be true..

"Color-coded unified wiring standard".

and...

"Perhaps no other fifth wheel RV inspires its owners like Montana. Built by generations of experienced craftsmen, Montana and Montana High Country are the pinnacle of luxury fifth wheel travel. Stunning interior design, profound attention to detail, and the highest quality materials come together in this collection of unforgettable RV's. With our eyes firmly on the horizon, Montana is driven to deliver innovation that transcends expectations and delights new owners, year after year."

We're inspired alright...
I've said this before, marketing is in control of the company. They write checks that engineering and manufacturing can't cash. Their focus is on the front end, meaning sales, and have little concern for the back end, meaning the end user. Marketing uses words geared towards anticipation. Manufacturing and quality control are hands on and real world. Both ends need to meet closer in the middle. Currently they are at each end of the pendulum. I've worked under these conditions before and it's a dysfunctional business model. As long as the dollars roll in nothing will change. I challenge any representative that supposedly follows these posts to chime in.
Old 10-13-2021, 08:02 PM   #52
5acresofchaos
Established Member

M.O.C. #29489
[QUOTE=randdcran;1235860]They have a great publicist, I'll give them that.

But, while I'm on a roll, I'll mention all the interior trim that has fallen off over the first 3 trips, the wooden hanger holding up the barn doors to the Den that came loose and almost had the barn doors crash into the kitchen.

We bought a new to us 2021 3855br and previous owner “fixed” the loose trim with a glue stic.
We are practically neighbors, hope to see you camping someday. Tomorrow I’m going to pull my panel and look at the water heater before it snows.
2019 F350 SRW
5acresofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 08:27 PM   #53
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Our 2015 was 77k... it books at 46000. We have it for sale for 39,000.. no bites..
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 12:13 PM   #54
randdcran

M.O.C. #28214
Yes! We almost moved to 5 acres in Franktown at one time, but ended up in Fort Lupton. I too need to look at winterizing. I'm not sure how this is going to work with taking it to Loveland when the tank arrives. I'm guessing I'm going to have to winterize multiple times this winter, and hopefully get a few trips in it south for the warmth.
Old 10-14-2021, 12:14 PM   #55
randdcran

M.O.C. #28214
P.S. what are you doing up at 2:27 am?? LOL
Old 10-14-2021, 01:27 PM   #56
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
With our eyes firmly on the horizon, Montana is driven to deliver

There is the problem. Just maybe they should keep their eyes on the camper they are building.
What bovine fertilizer.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor damage, flooring replacement, water leak