Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HOBBY CENTRAL > Hamming it Up & RC Toys for Big Girls & Boys
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2007, 02:34 PM   #1
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Ham Shack pictures?

I would like some pics of a few Montana ham shacks, I am trying to get mine setup and need some ideas. I have a Kenwood TS-50, an Alinco DR-610 dual bander, and a MFJ tuner. I also have two Hustler masts and mounts with three sets of coils. I am still deciding on a screwdriver unit. I have routed 4 RG-6 cables through the side of my slide behind the fireplace and can route a SO-239 barrel pass-through through the same wall. Just wondering about the cable routing, I plan to hang the HF antenna on the ladder and maybe even the 2 meter and 440 antennas too. I am going to order a new B&W folded dipole for emergency use, I have had an old one and it died just before we left. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated... DE N4SIJ Dave

Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 03:07 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Here is a link to my installs.
PM or email me if you need more info or we can talk on the phone.
KO4A
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 03:31 PM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Hi Dave,

I was going to suggest you contact John. He has a nice setup. We have the same trailer. I ran my antenna wire down through the floor and then up the ladder. I have a Tarheel Screwdriver mounted on the top of the ladder and it is mounted on a plate that I can raise and lower. The screwdriver folds forward when we travel.

For power I ran a circuit from the battery compartment to the desk in the rear of the coach. But I like John's approach better. I have an ICom 706 and just hook up to power and ant located at desk.

Dennis, KA6TZP
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 04:41 PM   #4
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
John, sweet setup, check out the pic links here and you will see the nice setup the Big Sky has in it. Also under the desk is a 1/8 inch piece of plywood behind which is a huge subwoofer for the home theater with a 4 inch gap at the top. There is room for the power supply, and battery backup. Just trying to decide on which I want to go with it all.
When it is all shut up you can't see anything of the shack. Here are the pics, all the radios are held in with industrial velcro and haven't moved in 2000 miles.

This is just the start... Dave and Betsy
Old 11-24-2007, 12:03 AM   #5
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Nice job.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:46 AM   #6
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Thanks John, but it is far from finished. I still have to run the wiring to the right and into the entertainment cabinet then down to behind the file cabinet and then left into the space for the subwoofer under the desk. That is where I will locate the power supplys. I like your coax board, did you build that? That seems to be a very doable location for the coax connections. thanks... Dave and Betsy
Old 11-24-2007, 05:58 AM   #7
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Yes I found the cover with sides and no back. I purchased a small piece of Plexiglas or equivalent and cut it to fit. Used PVC glue to hold them together.
The area where they are mounted is an open space similar to what Steve R. was talking about an extra sewer hose compartment. Only on the 3295 it is not that big.
cheers,